gun season- Mtbr.com

Thread: gun season

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004

gun season

In my region-southern Wv-southwest Va-deer season-well rifle season is here or will be soon depending.
    No matter your belief on hunting-these guys and gals wait all year for their fun-so give them a few weeks.And it is safer for all to not be in hunting areas.
    Yes orange will let you be seen,but still-lots of guns means lots of lead fling around.
    So what to do? Were to ride?
    Well here-Bluefield City Park,Camp Creek State Park(the state forest is hunting)Pipestem State Park.These are all in Wv.Some one chime in with other states.
    Some of my customers use their bikes to get way back in the forest-no body really walks that far-they do good.And some forest service gated roads are good to get back in the forest as well.The more we get people on bikes in the forests to hunt and fish-the more land and trails open to mtb's!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

Jul 2004
    I ride all year long and on all trails in the national forest land. Hunters are usually more friendly than hikers and horse riders from my experience and if you are on a trail they shouldn't be firing at you anyways. I haven't been shot yet, and I don't think you will. Hunters know that there are other forest users and respect that.

so be friendly and keep riding oh and blaze orange helps, (or just dont wear browns and tans haha!)

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    For me, I stick to Sunday on the National Forests til the end of December. Douthat State Park is good, although they have a few mid-week hunts (check on-line before you go). Carvins Cove, Mill Mountain, and Explore Park are 3 places near Roanoke that don't allow hunting.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    thats a good point!last thanksgiving i was up on top of big walker mtn.-talked with some cool hunters-they had gotten a nice buck.Not that they would shoot at us,but bullets travel long ways.i just then realized i could have spooked their game if i had not ridden 7 sisters 1st then up 52 to the ridge.just thinking give them some space for a lil bit.i hunt-but upland game-bikes arnt in the bushes to much
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    just don't wear that 12 pointer crash helmet. that'll get you killed
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    one of my favorite local trails to ride is only easily accessable during hunting season..

kinda makes it tough. i understand both sides of the issue. coming from a family/community of hunters. no sane hunter would ever fire off shots at a mountain biker mistaking it for a deer. i would also like to think that having bikes out and about in the woods might help rustle up some game for these guys/gals!! haha, maybe thats a stretch..

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Why/how is it only accessible during hunting season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916
    Why/how is it only accessible during hunting season.
    well, its more easily accessible.

there is a gate at the bottom of this 2 mile long gravel road. so you have to pedal your butt off before you even get near the bottom of the trail. when hunting season is in they have the gate open so hunters can drive further up the mountain..

wish the MTBers had that luxury year round..

Members who have read this thread: 0