Groups/Shop Rides Near the DC/NE VA Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Groups/Shop Rides Near the DC/NE VA Area

Hi all. I'm a bit new on the forum and finally got 5 posts to make a thread. I introduced myself on the intro thread and put the below. Pardon the duplicate but figured this would reach more folks. Appreciate any help you can give.

I'm coming on a work trip for a couple weeks (10-21 Sept), staying in Falls Church, VA and am trying to find all the groups/shops that put on rides for the week/weekend. I found the MORE site and the Bike Lane rides so far held mostly at at Wakefield, Shaffaer and the Patapsco (sp?). Can anyone list the groups/bike shops around the area putting on rides for the week/weekend? Interested in Sat/Sun groups rides especially. I'll be bringing my helmet light and gear so night rides are an option. During the week need to stay close to Falls Church but on the weekend I'm willing to venture out. Suggestions on group rides on the wkend? I'm renting a Niner Air9 so probably shouldn't do intense DH courses. Thanks everyone!

two wheel whore
    MORE is your best bet. I've never ridden with them, but have been a member for a while, and hit up a picnic of theirs 3-4 years ago.

You can check their group rides section. There's nothing wrong with riding solo, either. Check the trail guides on the MORE site for info on night rides.

Wakefield/Accotink is probably the closest for you - not the greatest, but not bad, either. Colts Neck/Difficult Run/Lake Fairfax is in Reston. If you venture away from Lake Fairfax in this loop, I'd suggest riding with someone that knows the trails.
    I would suggest making the trip out to Fountainhead and Schaeffer Farm. Laurel Hill is a 5 minute drive from Fountainhead, too. Never ridden Patapsco, but heard good things.
    Right now, you can get by without lights until 8pm.

mtbr member
    Frederick Bicycle Coalition is having a potluck on Sunday (9/9) up in Gambril State Park. They are going to be doing rides from Gambril and the Frederick Watershed. About an hour and a couple minutes from Falls Church, but some of the best riding on the east coast.

Frederick Bicycle Coalition

mtbr member
    The local bike shop in Falls Church is Bikenetic, the shop typically leads a ride at Wakefield on Tuesday evenings... Bikenetic - Falls Church, VA
    '09 Fisher Piranha
    '08 Santa Cruz Blur XC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you so much, everyone! Looking forward to riding in a new area, seeing what the trails are like. Will be nice not to have cactus jabbing my shins and ankles. Maybe I'll see you all out there. Take care.

beautiful jackass
    Don't go to Wakefield. It's not a great representation of the trails around here. It's ugly (in my opinion), butts right up against the interstate, and goes under powerlines. It's good for locals who live real close, but there are many better options in just another 15 minutes worth of driving.

I suggest a trip to Fountainhead. It's the best of our local VA trails, and a lot of fun. Your Air 9 will be perfect out there. Here's directions from the Falls Church area.

Aside from Fountainhead, Rosaryville is a lot of fun - 10 miles of twisty, flowing singletrack located on the eastern side of Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. map link.

Group rides aren't necessary for either location - Fountainhead is three single-direction loops, well signed. Rosaryville is a single bi-directional loop. I prefer counterclockwise for Rosaryville.
    Last edited by one incredible donkey; 09-10-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    I suggest a trip to Fountainhead. It's the best of our local VA trails, and a lot of fun. Your Air 9 will be perfect out there. Here's directions from the Falls Church area.
    I second Fountainhead. It is an amazing place to ride. Make sure to call the trail infoline to see if the trail is open prior to going out there: 703-250-9124.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey folks I am moving to the area from Arkansas next weekend and this thread was very helpful. Will be staying in McLean until I find a place for the fam , but am bringing a mountain bike to ride. Will be around Oct 6 to ride somewhere. Hopefully will try out Fountainhead since it's close. Will probably bring my single speed Air Nine Carbon. I'm a mid-pack Cat 2 xc racer, but will ride with anyone, cuz I am a talker. Holler if you are around and want to ride. christopher dot randle at gmail dot com.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ludachris View Post
    Hey folks I am moving to the area from Arkansas next weekend and this thread was very helpful. Will be staying in McLean until I find a place for the fam , but am bringing a mountain bike to ride. Will be around Oct 6 to ride somewhere. Hopefully will try out Fountainhead since it's close. Will probably bring my single speed Air Nine Carbon. I'm a mid-pack Cat 2 xc racer, but will ride with anyone, cuz I am a talker. Holler if you are around and want to ride. christopher dot randle at gmail dot com.
    Check out Home Page | MORE-MTB for group rides and events.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Used Bikes

Is there a shop in central VA that sells used bikes? C'ville, F'burg, Etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post
    I second Fountainhead. It is an amazing place to ride. Make sure to call the trail infoline to see if the trail is open prior to going out there: 703-250-9124.
    Folks can check out the FB page too. It's regularly updated on trail conditions. Fountainhead Regional Park - Fairfax Station, VA - Sports & Recreation | Facebook

Members who have read this thread: 0