Good FLAT trails in West Virginia/Virginia !- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Good FLAT trails in West Virginia/Virginia !

Also posted this in the Family forum, not sure which would be best,..looking to take my family to Virginia/West Virginia this summer and am looking for suggestions on biking and/or camping near trails that are family friendly.. My kids are at the stage they can take some hills, but looking for trails and even gravel roads that are on the flat side that ensures they have a good time! They are all sick of the steep trails here in our hometown of Asheville! Any other ideas or locations appreciated!

mtbr member
    to add, any feedback on Shenadoah River State Park? Looking at the other posts, that seems pretty good overall...

mtbr member
    A few flat rails to trails that I'd highly recommend:

The Virginia Creeper Trail near Abingdon: Virginia Creeper Trail Club | Official Site of the Virginia Creeper Trail Club

and just about any of these are great rails to trails systems: West Virginia Rails - To - Trails Council

Carvin's Cove and Douthat SP near Roanoke all have relatively flat lower trails.

Just about anything in WV thats not rails to trails is going to involve some elevation.
    If you Google "Judy Butter" to reminisce on the good ole days, do NOT click on images...

mtbr member
    Thanks!!! Will look into those!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    West Virginia: Greenbriar River Trail, but I don't know about camping along it. Also, there is a fairly flat (some incline) fire road (with camping) along the South Fork of the Cranberry River near the Cranberrry Mountain Nature Center in Pocahontas County (found near the intersection of Rt. 150 (Scenic Highway) and Rt. 55/39). I'd hit Cranberry if I were you. There are shelters at the camp sites and is very scenic to ride/camp. Both suggestions are on the river and family friendly.

mtbr member
    C&O canal...doesn't get any flatter than that!
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    New river trail

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/new.shtml

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Watoga State Park is located south of Marlinton, WV and borders the Greenbriar River Trail. WV State Parks are very nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I second the Cranberry River trail in the Cranberry Backcountry. One of the prettiest areas in the state. If you go in June/July it's a ghost town out there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    High Bridge Trail State Park

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback.... Looks like Watoga State Park may be the winner.. Will keep all of these i mind!!!

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
    High Bridge Trail State Park
    Unfortunately there is no camping facillities on or near (riding distance) the High Bridge Trail SP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ha! So I immediately thought of C&O Canal too, but I see someone beat me to it. Yup, definitely the flatest around. But otherwise, there's some nice flat trails down in the Norfolk/VA Beach area. I really liked the trail through First Landing State Park, which goes through a Bald Cypres forest. I think the elevation change couldn't have been more than 2 feet.

mtbr member
    What about Hungry Mother State Park in Marion? It's got some rideable trails that are flat plus other amenities nearby for hiking, water recreation etc...
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey. I am headed to Watoga next week on my child's school camping trip to ride the Greenbrier. I there any good single track in the vicinity and should I bother bringing my off road bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen View Post
    What about Hungry Mother State Park in Marion? It's got some rideable trails that are flat plus other amenities nearby for hiking, water recreation etc...
    They're not the flattest trails ever. The lake loop is probably the mildest of them and it still has a couple climbs that might not go over well with kids.

Members who have read this thread: 0