Good Bike Stores Washington DC- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

Good Bike Stores Washington DC

I'm going to be over in the US on business next month and was wondering if there are any good bike stores in Washington DC. Won't have a car this trip so I'm confined to public transport.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    why don't you "order in"... if you know what you will like to get...

guys like Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery can ship you what you need to the place where you will be staying

mtbr member

mtbr member
    You can ask here MORE. Be specific.

If you are looking for roadie bling in the middle of Georgetown, check out Bicycle Pro Shop at 3403 M St.

mtbr member
    I'm in DC 2 days a week. I use capitol hill bikes. Most shops in DC are big into road bikes.
    The metro is a block or 2 away. They carry a decent selection of 29ers also. The staff is very friendly. They have a shop for service located a few doors down from the main store. I pay a little more for service than I would in Philly, but they have to pay rent on 2 buildings. I'd rent a bike and cruise DC. The metro is excellent, but cabs are a rip. They run on zones, not meters. You can cross the street and pay $6 less for the same trip if your caught on the edge of multiple zones. You can also find a few good restaurants, bars, and coffee shops when you come up from the metro. I've also been to city bikes, allot of bikes but the staff is not as warm. Maybe I caught them on a bad day? I do like this part of town, Adams Morgan. You may want to hit up the board for DC, VA, and MD. I sure some local guys can give you some great info.

Aug 2006
    Washington Bike Center is great

Great CS, okay selection

But the CS is godly

Aug 2007
    There's HTO up in Tenleytown as well, however they tend to be pricey and a little cold. There are quite a few bike shops in D.C. and if you're simply walking around in the dtown area you'll hit a bunch.

Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenraptor
    Washington Bike Center is great

Great CS, okay selection

But the CS is godly
    The Washington Bike Center out in the Fair Lakes shopping area is aweful. Went in there about 18 months ago to look for a set of shoes. They had a pair that felt great but I was a little worried about the tread hitting the body of my pedal. I mentioned that I would try it out and see. THe sales guy told me that if I mount a cleat on the shoe I can't return them because the cleat makes an impression in the sole and voids their return policy. I laughed at him and left. Went in there again looking for some 29er tires about six months ago and was told that 29ers are just a fad and they won't waste their shop space on any 29er gear. I guess they don't read the magazines they sell.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Mar 2006

Re

Bike Club represent!

Its one mile from East Fall Church Metro on Route 29/Washington Street you could take the 2B metro bus from the metro station, and runs pretty regularly.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Are there any shops in/near DC that cater towards more aggressive mtn riding. I ride mostly DH and freeride and was wondering if there was any shops that might have bikes like that near DC.
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    Are there any shops in/near DC that cater towards more aggressive mtn riding. I ride mostly DH and freeride and was wondering if there was any shops that might have bikes like that near DC.
    The only shop that really stocks a lot of DH/Freeride is Germantown Cycles. They are about 1/2 hour outside DC in Germantown MD.

They have lots of FR/DH bikes/frames/forks in stock.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman

The bicycle pro shop in Georgetown should have what you are looking for. I have seen Ellsworth, Scott, Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Specialized FR And DH bikes in there. Plus, their mechanics are top notch and great customer service.

Aug 2007
    Thanks again for all the leads, my trips been put back to End Oct/ November but I've got plenty info to go on.

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0