Good beginner single track near Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Winchester- Mtbr.com

Apr 2005

Good beginner single track near Hagerstown/Martinsburg/Winchester

Hey guys was hoping I could get some help.

MY brother in law just got into Mountain Biking. He lives out near Martinsburg, WV. I would love to be able to head out, spend a night, and take him on his first real single rack experience. Maybe also get some information to point him towards other trails. I don't know what to say other then for him to drive over an hour and meet me at Shaffer Farms or the Patapsco system.

Any good beginner/intermediate trails in that area? Also are there any good books that cover that area?

I looked at Green Ridge but from what I hear that could be a bit to much cardio for a first time rider.

Thanks all

spooge is gone!
    Look at previous posts about Sleepy Creek about 20 min. out of M-burg. Also there used to be single track around Clear Spring MD at the ski area. Not sure if it's still there or not.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

sapling lover
    Jul 2008
    In Winchester there's a trail called the 3rd Battlefield. It starts out with gravel fire road, but right after you cross the bridge (you can't miss it) there's a trail marked with red that is a fairly short (around 1 mile) loop of singletrack. The nice thing about it is that there are a few log crossings, some switchbacks, some nice short uphills and one great downhill where you can catch some air at the end if you're braver than me and you don't brake. The trail is great for beginners because you can do it several times in a row, which gives you more time to get comfortable....when my dh and I first started it was by far my favorite trail because I knew exactly what to expect and could push my limits. And if you get bored on the red trail you can go to the orange trail, which is quite a bit longer and has some skinnies and stuff to play on. It's right off 81 and Rt. 11 (on Red Bud Rd. I think it's called). The only downside to the trail is that there is broken glass in certain parts. It's obvious that someone is doing it on purpose because every time we go we clear it and when we go back there's more in the same exact spots. It's obvious enough to see so that you don't accidentally ride over it - we usually carry our bikes.

she keep you buying rats
    Beginner trails near Martinsburg/Hagerstown/Winchester
    Sleepy Creek WMA is right in the dead center of this area. It's about 25% singletrack and 75% jeep trails/fireroads. There's about 75+ miles of trails there.

Grab this map: www.noze.com/sleepycreek

There are 5 or 6 trailheads off of Hampshire Grade Rd alone. Plenty to checkout.

...and/or send me a PM, I ride Sleepy Creek 6 days per week (all year 'round)
    ;-)

mtbr member
    Hit up 3rd Battlefield for a good beginner ride

Apr 2005
    Where is 3rd Battlefield located?

sapling lover
    Jul 2008
    see my post from 2 days ago for location

mtbr member
    Are you familiar with Winchester?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyVT
    Where is 3rd Battlefield located?

The White Jeff W
    Beginner single track is pretty sparse around the Hagerstown area. Everything is pretty hilly & rocky. There is some pretty easy stuff in the 'woods' around the Hagerstown Comm College but it's a pretty short ride.
    No moss...

Members who have read this thread: 0