Glad to find good Mechanics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Glad to find good Mechanics

First let me say we all have had good and bad luck with shops...this isn't saying one is better than the other...and it could be you might have had bad experiences...

Lets try and keep responses positive, if you have something good to say, speak up, tell em thanks, they probably dont hear that enough..

If you had a bad time or experience DON'T SCREW UP this thread, this is for THE THANKS to the guys that keep our bikes rolling!!!!!

And to those of you that do it yourself, wow thats fantastic...I know it's probably relatively easy for alot of things you can do to your bike, its just I dont have tools, time, or a good place to work on my bikes, so I use shop mechanics....

And just recently was introduced to the Race Pace in Ellicott city...I'd like to send out big props to the group there...they not only have done an outstanding job on my bike, but man I took it in this past week after getting it SO covered in mud...well I picked it up tonight and it was spotless...on top of the problem they found which was a very tiny delicate item that lord knows how they found that, but they cleaned it so well too...FANTASTIC...everyone in the shop really goes out of their way to make you feel very welcome and it's certainly not prevalent that they want just a "customer" (sale)...they all really want to talk with ya about bikes and trails...I also can't help but think that the man who works on one of/if not the best endurance racer in the worlds bike, it's got to have rubbed off...and you know this racer has never had a breakdown in his races...so it certainly can't be all bad, huh...

Well thats my good experience, so if ya respond lets try and keep it upbeat on the good that YOU get out of YOUR mechanics...

Ed

Sweeper
    Race Pace Ellicott City is the place to have a bike tuned/fixed/built!

Ben, Spencer, Jullian, NickA, NickO, Bork, Chris..... and all others know bikes! Great Place and highly respected!

mtbr member
    My guys at Cumberland Trail Connection have treated me like gold. I can't thank them enough.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    they not only have done an outstanding job on my bike, but man I took it in this past week after getting it SO covered in mud...well I picked it up tonight and it was spotless...on top of the problem they found which was a very tiny delicate item that lord knows how they found that, but they cleaned it so well too...
    You do know you owe them at least a six pack of beer for bringing in a muddy bike. Nothing pisses off wrenchs more than a dirty bike, i know from experience. Next time hit it with a hose before dropping it off.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

Masher
    Well that didn't last long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    You do know you owe them at least a six pack of beer for bringing in a muddy bike. Nothing pisses off wrenchs more than a dirty bike, i know from experience. Next time hit it with a hose before dropping it off.

Damn! I'm actually agreeing with you! Who'd thought.

I did a repair last night on a POS wallyworld bike. The whole damn bike had a thick film of oil all over it. Dirty as hell. Even the tire were oily. Ruined a pair of pants trying to work on that thing. Being as careful as I could, still got oil and black stains on the legs.

We're guessing the the brakes were squealing, so he sprayed WD40 on it.

Masher
    It was a nice try Ed.

mtbr member
    LOL...that is very funny...it is a very good point, and I'm going to put a positive spin out it and take by a 6 pack after work for the guys...

But yeah funny how it never last huh...HAHAHA...I love it

Smarter Than He Looks
    EMS in Delaware has been very good to me. From quick (and free) repairs of stupid stuff to more complicated stuff, they've always done what they said they would do when they said they would do it. The Bens have done most of the work, but I did see James get his hands dirty on my bike once

Masher
    I really appreciate a shop that will let me actually watch them work on my bike or has a shop area that is open and easy to peer into from outside.

Race Pace is very good about this. We'll see if they let me watch them build my wheels.

Please...

mtbr member
    I love that too MisterC...being able to even help (as little as I can) it's cool to watch how the things work...well I'm getting off work so it's off to buy beer for the boys...thanks Capt.

Masher
    I'll be there around 6.

mtbr member
    Sorry misterc, I was there and gone by 4:30...you work too much...LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    LOL...that is very funny...it is a very good point, and I'm going to put a positive spin out it and take by a 6 pack after work for the guys...

But yeah funny how it never last huh...HAHAHA...I love it

Don't be discouraged!

I grabbed a bigass pizza and went to the shop to hang out for a couple hours today.

Being good people = you get pizza.
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Took the guys a couple sixers last night, that was a good thing!!! GHood job on the Pizzas Wood....

mtbr member
    Dropped my bike off dirty today.....but only b/c he made me!! lol
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    i've had to take mine in dirty before, but i hate doing it. luckily my LBS (thats the true wheel for me) doesn't mind. you never seem to have major malfunctions on a clean bike.
    Last edited by LaLD; 02-16-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My mechanic sucks!!! But I don't have to pay myself for bad service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My mechanic sucks!!! But I don't have to pay myself for bad service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    shout out to henrys bikes.

Smarter Than He Looks

Going Mobile!

Just had my first dealings with Phil at http://www.spinnersbikerepair.com/. Interesting business model; he's a mobile shop, and comes to you with his trailer.

He's very meticulous, very thorough and very reasonable. I'll definitely be using him again. Plus, through the end of March, 15% of all his proceeds get donated to the Delaware Trail Spinners!

Bicycle rider
    ^^^ Very cool!

Jun 2005

Spinners

Phil from Spinners Mobile Bike Shop has been working on my bikes on and off for almost ten years now. Great guy to deal with and a very competent mechanic. Some of the other local mechanics around the Delaware area are pretty good as well but I have to drop my bike off at the shop and leave it which depending on the weather isn't always a option. Plus Phil is very competitive or cheaper than many of the other lbs.

hank

ol' dusty lungs
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I just wanted to say that Race Pace in Ellicott City is easily the best bike shop in the Baltimore area. The guys there are super friendly and actually ride *gasp* and they have a great selection of parts n' things at decent prices. I try and support the shops in the city that are closer to home but they seem to be pretty clueless, overpriced, and don't keep anything in stock. Race Pace is a bit further away for me but is definitely going to be my first stop from now on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWood922
    My guys at Cumberland Trail Connection have treated me like gold. I can't thank them enough.
    Friend of mine just picked his bike up from there and had nothing but good to say. Every time I go in there they treat me like an old friend but other than a wheel truing I have not had any work there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    I really appreciate a shop that will let me actually watch them work on my bike or has a shop area that is open and easy to peer into from outside.

Race Pace is very good about this. We'll see if they let me watch them build my wheels.

Please...
    Blackwater Bikes in Davis, WV is like that. Shop is in the back but there is no wall so you can go back and shoot the bull with the owner while he works on your bike. You can even help if you want and if your in good with them they will even let you wrench on your bike in the shop area if they are not busy. It is a fantastic shop with a super friendly atmosphere and a great mechanic.

Members who have read this thread: 0