Getting my 1st bike - where can I go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Getting my 1st bike - where can I go?

Technically it's not a 1st bike, but I haven't rode or owned a bike in over 30 years.... Ha!, so I look at it as my 1st.

I live in MD... in Ceciltucky.. If all goes well, my bike should arrive any day now. I ordered it from Wiggle, in the UK. It's a hardtail, the Vitus Nucleus 275 VRX. Now I need a place to try it out.

Been told by a friend that there's really nice trails in Fair Hill, but I've only been there for the annual county fair. I was thinking about the Ma Pa trail, in Bel Air, but it's a rail trail and I'd like to try some actual trails through the woods.. then again, maybe a rail trail is what I should ride on my 1st ride.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Can't help you on where to go, but try taking it easy for the first couple rides on a new bike. That goes double if you haven't ridden in over 30 years. Once you and your new bike get to know each other, slowly branch out to more difficult terrain.

After such a long hiatus, try a little cross training, too.

mtbr member
    Lots of places you can go such as Susquehanna SP or Little Gunpowder, I would avoid MA & PA or the NCR, those are both just rail trails.
    If I was you, I would just go another 10min north of FairHill to WhiteClay. I take my wife there and she is a beginner and loves it.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for the recommendations!! I'll definitely give Fair Hills a go.

BTW, I keep seeing posts about LGP, where's the entry point? Is it that spot there there on Harford Rd on the country line or is it better to enter at Belair Rd?

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    After such a long hiatus, try a little cross training, too.
    Cross training? LOL.. This is going to be my summer form of exercise... and my plan is to ski in the winter.. Things I use to do, when I was younger.. I'm out of shape, slow, and old now.. but still not fat, Ha!

g=9.764m/s2
    Come on over to White Clay/Middle Run and we’ll show you around. I wanna see this Vitus, seems to be the best budget bike out there.

Here’s the map of the area.
    Unofficial White Clay & Middle Run Trail Map : < kencox design >

mtbr member
    If it has been 30 years, start off at Fair Hill, there are lots of vehicle-width gravel trails that will be good to help you get back into the feel of riding. when you feel comfortable, there is plenty of single track to develop your skills. FH single track can be technical. if you do go to FH, remember to always give horses the right of way. if you are approaching from behind, announce yourself from a distance. I usually ask the rider for how they prefer we pass eachother.

Trail Spinners is the local IMBA chapter. they (we) conduct weekly rides out of the Middle Run lot with rides often going into White Clay as well. they are an all-levels ride, ie nobody gets left behind. they are every Thursday at 6pm. we also have sunday dirt-church rides that leave from a different lot each time. you can find trail spinners on FB for updates on events. also, there is a local public discussion page DelMarPa mountain biking for the community to talk with eachother, organize rides, report downed trees, get local trail and bike shop info...

good luck getting back on the bike!
    Last edited by TrailGoat; 05-31-2019 at 03:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations!! I'll definitely give Fair Hills a go.

BTW, I keep seeing posts about LGP, where's the entry point? Is it that spot there there on Harford Rd on the country line or is it better to enter at Belair Rd?
    Yea you can hop in at Harford Rd or Bel Air Rd right at the county line (the river divides BC & HC), and a bunch of other places. We don't have a fancy map like W/C does, i would use Trailforks or just follow the river.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you're already in Cecil County. Fair Hill is the natural answer. It will have everything you need for a long time. Branching to White Clay/ Middle Run would certainly be worthwhile. Iron Hill will offer more rocks and steeper climbs. I haven't been to ride at Elk Neck for a while, but the trails there were challenging.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't made it to any trails yet. However, this week is supposed to be fairly cool and dry. I'm just getting over the crud so I've got to take it easy for another day to two, but I'm seriously thinking about running out to Iron Hill Friday afternoon and giving it a shot.

g=9.764m/s2
    There you are, was wondering if you ever made it over to Iron Hill... bring your climbing legs cause what comes down must go up...d;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't made it to any trails yet. However, this week is supposed to be fairly cool and dry. I'm just getting over the crud so I've got to take it easy for another day to two, but I'm seriously thinking about running out to Iron Hill Friday afternoon and giving it a shot.