Getting to the Fredrick Watershed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Getting to the Fredrick Watershed

I just moved to college park. I rode schaefer farms yesterdday, and although it was refreshing to get back on my bike after driving through all those corn states, it was a little to cross country-ish for my likinng. I hear that the shed is nice, but cannot find any good dirrections for the life of me... So can anyone give me some good dirrections?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Route 40 West

of Frederick, to Gambrill State Park. The "Watershed" area is actually beyond the Park. You might want to stay/ride in the Park before venturing beyond....Park at the first trailhead lot on the right; Cross paved road where you entered lot, and follow Yellow blazed loop trail back to your vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambrill_State_Park

[Lots of info. on M.O.R.E site]

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Why do you say that? We are down with downhill, rocky trails, we road Tahoe and Colorado on our way out here, so we are familiar with some rocky ****. Anyway, we are ahout to head out, so I am just guessing as to how to get there now.... fun...

I am the owl
    My guess for the Gambrill suggestion is because it is better marked and easier not to get lost. The only marked trail in the Watershed is the Blue trail which is fun and good for connecting things but definitely not the best of what is out there. The good stuff is a bit tough to find without a guide, there are no official maps of the area. There are really no places to refill water and cell reception is spotty at best, so go out prepared.

There are a few areas you can park, Hamburg Rd, Fishing Creek Rd. the far north part of Gambrill Park Rd. (Sand Flats and Thurmont overlook to name a couple).

Good stuff out there, just be prepared to get lost
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys (though it didn't really help me get there). I kind of just guessed. I took 70 west to 40 west and turned up Gambel. That led us all the way out to the Hamburg Rd entrance. We took the trail dirrectly out of the parking lot (east?) and eventually found our way to a fire road. After getting a little lost (only a few hundred yards till a dead end at a tree), we headed up the fire road and joined into the blue trail. Now this is what I was looking for! It is just about as rocky as Tahoe, but not a sharp of rocks (thank you very much). We had a blast! I got a flat at the bottom, and my CO2 leaked a little, so I walked most of the road back up.

In the end though, it was a great ride. I will definitly head out there some more and explore (hopefully getting a good grip of it and marking some more trails...)

I would love to meat up with some fellow riders in the area who enjoy this kind of stuff (or just like adrenaline rushes, cause that is what this is all about). Let me know if any of you would like to also.

Members who have read this thread: 0