George Washingtin National Forest- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

George Washingtin National Forest

About 10 of us a planning a mtb trip this fall and have decided to venture out from our usual stomping grounds of Pisgah and try something new. We've found a decently priced cabin to house us but were looking for some recommendations from anyone who's been up there and knows the area. Specifically, we'd like some trail recommendations,a couple epics, 30 to 40 miles. Also, any lodging info would be great too. Were looking in the Staunton area initially, but we aren't married to it.

Thanks.

I am the owl
    Go west of Harrisonburg to the Stokesville area where the SM100 race is put on. More tasty riding than you can do in a week. Check in with the shop in Harrisonburg that goes by the name of the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Company and get maps and local knowledge.

Great riding in that area, you won't be disappointed.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the advise riderx. Can you recommend a place to bed down? We've got about 10 guys so we're looking for a cabin that can accommodate us.

Thanks.

I am the owl
    I usually camp when I'm down there, but my wife was on a women's MTB weekend down there this spring and they rented a big cabin. She is going to try to track down the info.

If you can receive big files in your email (7mb or so) I can email you some scanned maps of rides in the area. I would also suggest picking up the PATC topo map and/or the Nat. Geo. topo map to go with them. Post your email and I'll forward along.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Feb 2006
    What dates are you planning on coming up? If I'm off during any of them I'll gladly come guide you guys on some longer epic's. I've had some great host down in Pisgah in the past and would love to return the favor. I live about 20 miles away from the main concentration of trails there.

mtbr member

Thanks...

Thanks for the offer, but the groups focus is now on the Damascus/Mt Rogers area.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingrob
    Thanks for the offer, but the groups focus is now on the Damascus/Mt Rogers area.
    Too bad, GWNF is definitely the MTB mecca of VA.

Shop *****
    riderx, would you mind forwarding those maps to me? I am planning a trip for me and my dad next summer, a week long epic ride through the SM100 territory with swimming, fishing, and camping for a whole week.
    It's basically my senior-out-of-high-school present...
    If yes, thanks; [email protected]

I'm going to buy one from the NFS, but that can wait until a month or so before the trip (Laminated and such)
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

I am the owl
    deleted - double post due to a sloooooooow server
    Last edited by riderx; 10-02-2007 at 03:31 AM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

I am the owl
    drakan - maps have been sent. Recommend getting the PATC topo maps and the Nat. Geographic topo to supplement them.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    Too bad, GWNF is definitely the MTB mecca of VA.
    Yeah, so I've heard. However, we will most likely get out there in the spring, so those topo maps will come in handy.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Coming to Damascus?.....

Check out www.backbonelodge.com for a place to stay for 10 of you. You will not be dissapointed with the riding. Staunton/ Harrisonburg only gets more attention b/c its closer to more people, there I said it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't miss Roland Creek Trail while you are here, should be easy to incorporate into a longer ride. One of the cool things about riding here is you can ride loops or point-to-point and end up back in town when finished.

Also I would recommend (as if you had asked):

-one long day on the Iron from as far East as you care to start back to town
    -Wright Hollow & Buzzard Den, a fun, technical, and seldom-used loop
    -working Mill Creek (AKA Chestnut Ridge Trail) into a ride
    -Drinking beer at the Baja

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by casey441
    Staunton/ Harrisonburg only gets more attention b/c its closer to more people, there I said it.
    I wouldn't say that is an accurate statement. I lived in Boone, NC. and rode in Grayson/Mt. Rogers area a lot for many years. I have either hiked or ridden about every trail in the area. I love it to death, but GWNF has the rep for a reason. I still spend a lot of time down there as my best friend lives on Whitetop Mtn.

Gravity addict
    I agree with Rich, there is some awesome trails to ride here in GWNF, you wont be disappointed.
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    I wouldn't say that is an accurate statement. I lived in Boone, NC. and rode in Grayson/Mt. Rogers area a lot for many years. I have either hiked or ridden about every trail in the area. I love it to death, but GWNF has the rep for a reason. I still spend a lot of time down there as my best friend lives on Whitetop Mtn.
    I knew that'd get somebody going. I lived in Roanoke for 5 years and made few trips up around Harrisonburg- good stuff- still looking for that "secret" trail that they mentioned in the July '98 Bike, the one w/the moss. I just have to mouth off about our trails down here every so often b/c they don't get nearly the attention, accolades, etc they deserve.

( When you mention Grayson/ Mt. Rogers you're not just talking about the highlands, right? The riding up there is not so great. )

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by casey441
    I just have to mouth off about our trails down here every so often b/c they don't get nearly the attention, accolades, etc they deserve.
    I agree, but the pressure from hikers down there is already so heavy that is almost a good thing.

I takes more than a couple trips to GWNF to even scrape the surface of what exist, especially if going blindly on your own. There are lots of trails that stay fairly hush to keep pressure off of them, but there are tons of well known rides as well.

As for MTB'ing in SWVA, I've ridden about every inch of trail that is open to MTB's from Rural Retreat down to Damascus, but nothing really southwest of Damascus. What are some of your favorite rides down that way?

Members who have read this thread: 0