Garrett Co. Riders Beware - Rabid Bear- Mtbr.com
    Never worng!

Garrett Co. Riders Beware - Rabid Bear

If you're riding in Garrett County especially in the Grantsville area be careful
    as there was a rabid (yes rabid) bear incidient. A rabid bear will come after you
    and they can outrun a horse so be careful.

Story HERE
    Last edited by Verewolf; 09-07-2007 at 06:05 AM.

May 2007
    Its dead...booo.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TFK StinkyFingers
    Its dead...booo.
    Boo????
    Even if they hadn't shot the bear, it would still be dead - and it's a horrible death at that.
    Rabies is a fatal illness - you get it and you die - that's why the whole family was vaccinated.

Professional Slacker

Ok....

Quote Originally Posted by Verewolf
    If your riding in Garrett County especially in the Hagerstown area be cautious
    there was a rabid (yes rabid) bear incidient.
    As a native to the "real" Western Maryland, I have to set the record straight. I realize that most people think Western Maryland ends at the Washington Co. border, but this is not the case at all. Western Maryland consists primarily of Allegany and Garrett Co. Hagerstown is in Washington Co. and nowhere near Garrett County, let alone where this incident occurred, as Allegany Co. still lies in between.

I actually do field work right near where this happened on a fairly regular basis, and the area is quite notorious for bears. While I've yet to see a live one, a coworker has seen two, but we often see tracks and scat. Two summers ago I found the skeleton of one (minus the skull, dammit!). I notified the DNR who then came out to investigate to make sure it wasn't a poaching issue.

While I've never actuaully ridden in that area, I've always wanted to because I know there has to be miles and miles of trails. I've hiked some of them for work. Unfortunately, they're all on private property and the area is also notorious for its not so friendly mentality. I'm more afraid of ending up like that bear did rather than the bear itself.

Ok, carry on.
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

Never worng!
    Quote Originally Posted by chili
    As a native to the "real" Western Maryland, I have to set the record straight..................
    OOPS!!
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    I live in PA and thought that would be of interest to riders in the area.
    When I looked at the news story again I saw it was actually Grantsville
    and NOT Hagerstown (where the story was filed).

I did an edit and made the correction. So again thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0