Gambrills Today- Mtbr.com

Thread: Gambrills Today

mtbr member

Gambrills Today

Wow had a blast today on the yellow to blue then back to the parking lot...Jason got a new Garmin so he has it uploaded which I'm sure he'll post, it's very cool...the riding was pretty much a perfect day...little snow, cold, wet, sunny, warm, had it all but it was real nice...nothing like just gettin out and riding...we had (or at least I know I did) a blast going down from the comcast towers all the way down the Blue too...have to go back with Sanders and our DH bikes...do a little shuttle run...Yeehaww...Jason tore it up on the climbs today...he cleared some pretty tough rough and steep ones, kudos to ya man, your gettin strong on that Jet....Thanks for the present!

Have a lot of days off this week so lets all do it again!!! Sanders how about a shuttle day?

Ed
    Some more pictures:

Last edited by cableguy46; 12-21-2008 at 07:35 PM.

I heard you swear...
    yeah man, would have been down this weekend for some good riding, but the snowboard took priority this weekend!

This week we should totally head out and tear it up! maybe xmas afternoon?

mtbr member
    Clifford Hollow heading towards Gambrill is the best climb in the area. If you clear it from bottom to top you have done something. Everyone used to have to dismount on the last creek crossing. That was before we rerouted it. I am trying to figure out which crossing those pictures are of. There is a lot of water flowing.

mtbr member
    Absolutely...I'll let ya know by tomorrow evening, if Ms Claus doesn't have a prob...we'll shuttle with 2 vehicles, so we can enjoy ALL the DH...it's a 2+ mile DH!!! YEEHAWWw!

Masher
    This sounds like something I could be interested in. Do you guys have your eye on the weather? It's been pretty awful the past couple weeks.

mtbr member
    That crossing is right at a 4 way intersection on the blue trail at the bottom of the most outrageously fun 2+ mile DH...then we had the longest (suck), rocky incredible uphill....and I think Jason only probably dabbed once or twice...me I walked a bunch of it...yeh the water level was amazing...I've never even seen water here before, but it was sure rushing yesterday....
    Weather...heck just ride...the beauty of Gambrill, rocky enough that there really isn't any "mud"...it gets a little slippery at moments but not bad...heck when we got there yesterday it was sleeting/snowing...we rode on snow, ice, wet, mud, rocky, clear you name it, the suneven came out...darn near perfect day out...other than a pouring rain nothing else should really stop us...
    I figured on starting at the comcast tower then head down to the red/blue all the way down towards the bottom of Hamburg Rd...then have a car down there to shuttle back up...YEEEHAWW I know Sanders you'll love it...in the meantime, yes MisterC, we'll be checking on weather and posting if it's a go and when...What are you riding MisterC?

Ed

Masher
    GF Rig.

Edit: and I guess the weather question was a round about way of asking how well Gambrils drains, etiquette for riding after rain there etc. Avalon and Rockburn seem to take forever and are miserable for at least a couple days after a strong rain. But you know that as well as I do. Maybe I just hate mud.

mtbr member
    WOW a Rig...Mine is for sale right now on ebay...1 day left on it...the DH riding we are planning for this week would surely be a "dosey" on the Rig!!

WEEEEEEHAWWWW...

Now some of the others might be out for more of a XC ride, but i plan on playing going DOWN and riding in the car UP...

I am the owl
    Quick MD geography lesson:

Gambrills is here.

Gambrill is here

Sorry, drives me nuts when people throw that extra "S" on the end. The terrain in the two locations is quite different too
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Masher
    Still, I'd like to try and tackle it. See how it goes. Any riding is good as I haven't ventured out into the downpour. Keep me posted!

mtbr member
    Wow...can't win for losing with ya...seems I always do "something" wrong...sorry for the spelling error...have to watch myself using this BB...kind of like my wife I'll ask her to review something I've written...expecting her to look at it for the "content" and damn if she doesn't pick apart my spelling...I know, spell check and all that...thanks for correcting the error of my ways...

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Wow...can't win for losing with ya...seems I always do "something" wrong...sorry for the spelling error...have to watch myself using this BB...
    Dude, don't take everything so serious, it's all good
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    That crossing is right at a 4 way intersection on the blue trail at the bottom of the most outrageously fun 2+ mile DH...then we had the longest (suck), rocky incredible uphill....and I think Jason only probably dabbed once or twice...me I walked a bunch of it...yeh the water level was amazing...I've never even seen water here before, but it was sure rushing yesterday....
    Weather...heck just ride...the beauty of Gambrill, rocky enough that there really isn't any "mud"...it gets a little slippery at moments but not bad...heck when we got there yesterday it was sleeting/snowing...we rode on snow, ice, wet, mud, rocky, clear you name it, the suneven came out...darn near perfect day out...other than a pouring rain nothing else should really stop us...
    I figured on starting at the comcast tower then head down to the red/blue all the way down towards the bottom of Hamburg Rd...then have a car down there to shuttle back up...YEEEHAWW I know Sanders you'll love it...in the meantime, yes MisterC, we'll be checking on weather and posting if it's a go and when...What are you riding MisterC?

Ed
    I have cleaned once maybe twice on a geared bike. But on the SS, not even close yet. I usually spin out on the hill after the first creek crossing and I am about dead by the last crossing.

Going from the Shed to Gambrill is the best way to do that section of the Blue (IMHO) The climb going the other way is nearly impossible.

BTW where did you start from? Hamburg rd or the Towers?

Bicycle rider
    MisterC, if I go up this week I will be doing XC. You are welcome to tag along. Will probably head up with the DH riders but break off and do XC for a few hours. If Ed/Cableguy is heading out from the Comcast tower we can do a downhill with them and then cut over to the Shed for a day of riding and meet them back at the tower.

Ed, awesome ride yesterday. Thanks for the props!

Dkeg, we started at the 1st parking lot on Gambrill Park Road.

mtbr member
    MisterC that'd be great...we'll keep ya posted...this is at the Gamb******* just to the west above Frederick...
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jason...post up your Garmins link so we all can see the route and especially the elevation...that DH section was something to see on the chart...That sounds great all of us meeting up at the tower lot...Sanders wants to make it afternoon of the 25th...any takers on that day or is Friday better?

Ed

Bicycle rider
    I definitely can not do it on Christmas. I am free the day after (the 26th).

Here is a link to the ride - http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7310983

Select “Elevation” on the “Activity Dashboard” menu on the left to see the 2 mile downhill that started just after mile 5.

another bozo on the bus
    dear cableguy46 and co;

thursday the 25th that night ride is going off at fairland and beyond if you are interested. i know you and some others expressed interest so PM for details if you would like the tour.

I heard you swear...
    Friday is not going to work for me, but will be available to ride sat or sunday. At the very least I will go ride good ol' patapsco on Thursday.

Ed, if not enough people want to do the thurs we can do the shuttle shred at another time!

Sweeper
    I will be riding Friday in Patapsco. My freind wants to get out again on his 09 Fisher Rig. Going to have family around still....so need to stay close by. Saturday looks like rain and depending on how much I am game for a Sunday ride.

I heard you swear...
    OH SNAP, rolling on the 29"! nice steve!

mtbr member
    Hey Sander how about Sunday for the DH shuttle...and Jason, Smitty, Eujinc, MisterC for the XC on Sunday...I'm going to try and squeeze in the Firday morning ride with the Mayor, then maybe make it out to see the new 29er Smitty, and the rest of us can catch ya out there too, Jason, Eujinc???

mtbr member
    Sunday sounds good to me.

I heard you swear...
    Sunday sounds cool!

Sweeper
    Get the new hub in Sander? No more creaking?

Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by SmittyEX8
    I will be riding Friday in Patapsco. My freind wants to get out again on his 09 Fisher Rig. Going to have family around still....so need to stay close by. Saturday looks like rain and depending on how much I am game for a Sunday ride.
    What time are you guys going out? I am in kind of the same boat with the family but would really like to get out that day and see how I fair against another 09 Rig.

Sunday I might be at Wisp so the Gambrill deal might be hard this weekend. If that cancels I am in for sure.

mtbr member
    Excellent a couple takers...we can meet up at the park and ride at the north side of hwy70 at hwy 32 exit...then cruz on from there...now a start time, 9am as usual? MisterC? Jason? then we can go to the Comcast tower so we can all ride the DH, then XC and DH can seperate from there...
    Ed

Masher
    If this is Sunday I am in, weather permitting. I'll go to Wisp another time.

And I would still like to ride Christmas late morning early afternoonish if anyone else is in.

Edit: I can also do Patapsco on Friday, so I guess I can get a lot of riding in this weekend.

If someone could post all the times and meet spots I would really appreciate it. That is, if you want company.

mtbr member
    Yep Gambri*** (the one by Frederick) is on Sunday we meet at the above park & Ride then bunch up and carpool to Gambr***....
    I haven't heard about any time yet on Friday...hopefully it is later not early...I've got a morning ride first...
    And MisterC we all would love to have you join us!!!

Ed

mtbr member
    9 am Sunday at the P&R (West Friendship: Rt 32 & I-70) it is then. I can carry 2 additional riders & bikes.

Sweeper
    For anyone trying to ride Friday...... This is the rough plan. Ed has to do the "Mayor" ride in the am for a few hours. I am going to plan on a noon or 1pm ride in Patapsco from the Park N Ride. Should be myself and two freinds, Ed, MisterC..... EujinC?

Got to pick up the new "bigger" wheels tomorrow!

I heard you swear...
    Still creaky, no new hub yet. I'll just cross the ol' fingers!

mtbr member
    Sorry, I'll be out of town till Sat night. Have fun on Friday.

Masher
    In for Friday, in for Sunday. I can carry one extra bike on my jeep if you want me to help carpool.

mtbr member
    MisterC, Sanders and I will need at least 2 cars so we can shuttle...so I guess carpooling can be figured out at the park and ride...

As far as Friday at Patapsco, we starting from the rolling road park and ride?

Ed

Bicycle rider
    I can ride on Friday but Sunday is up in the air because I might be heading to WISP with the wife for a few days.

May I suggest we ride Gambrill on Friday because the trails at Patapsco are going to be a mess with all the warm weather coming? AND I don’t want to rut up the trails anymore than they already are!

Sweeper
    Jason, I would love to head west but that is not going to work for me Friday with family in town. Tough enough to sneak away for a few hours.

If the trails are to muddy then I will not ride. Whenever there is the possibility of mucky trails in Patapsco.... I do this route....

Rolling Rd park n ride, drop in, then the pavement over to the Howard side then up and the Rockburn/Morning Choice/Ridge. The good thing with the Howard side is that the sunlight does not muck up that side of the ridge... As much as the Baltimore Side. That is a fun loop and depending on which way, 10-13 miles.

I am going to do a short hike, with my cousin who is in town. We will be doing this tomorrow Christmas day in the evening. I will make the call on the trail conidtion and riding for Friday.
    Last edited by WeatherMan; 12-24-2008 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    SO, everyone...we'll wait on Smitty's word tomorrow evening about the trail conditions...if fine, I'll be there between 11-12...if muddy, I'll be heading up to Gambrills to ride the yellow/blue trail route at Gambrills...one of the guys from the Mayors ride wants to tag along too...PM me anyone thats interested and I'll give ya my cell number so we can communicate real time Friday...cross your fingers no rain!!

Ed

Sweeper
    I will report back as soon as I return from the hike tomorrow.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Santa came a little early for me it seems....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I heard you swear...
    Steve is that a 29 INCH tire? Haha, sorry I could not resist.

Patapsco was not too bad in spots, tried to stay away of the really sloppy areas. BEAUTIFUL weather today!!

Ed, do you think the shuttle runs may be a bit too much work for sunday? We can just tough it out and do the loop there? I'm down for which ever!

-Sander

mtbr member
    Shuttle runs will be easier...we race down...jump in one of our cars....ride up, grab the other car take it back down, drive up then ride down....OR we can ride with the group and they can wait for us or go ahead and we can still follow their route...just there is ALOT of climbing there...check out Jasons Motionbased site for the elevation chart, WHEW!!! I'm game, just I'll be walking alot....
    Tomorow looks like it'll be okay at Patapsco we're all meeting at noon at the Rolling road park & ride...ride what ya bring...no drop ride...THIS IS NOT AN ORGANIZED RIDE..It's a fun ride!

Masher
    given the rain, I just want to make sure we are still doing gambrills tomorrow.

Sweeper
    Gambrill is nothing like Patapsco. I would think it would be fine. Lots of Rocks! I will not know for sure if I will be able to make it unitl late tonight. Family still in town and if my cousin chooses, need to take him to DC to show him around.

mtbr member
    Absolutely still on...and your right Smitty...drains really well, especially the yellow trail...we were on the Shed a couple weeks back and it was a little "mushier" than the Park side...Need to know who all will commit as to what bike I want to take...if there are few than I'm riding the XC bike if many, than I want to go play on th DH runs...
    So how about a roll call by 9pm...pass it on...remember we will meet at the park & ride off 70 at 32 at 9am

Ed

Bicycle rider
    I am planning on it but still have family in town and staying with us. They want to head out to Baltimore tonight so here is what it looks like for me.

If we meet at 9 am then I am a maybe… if can push it to 11 am – noon, then I am a probable.

mtbr member
    actually that might be a perfect equalizer...you stay out late, drink a bit, then I might be able to keep up with ya LOL....serious though, no body will have to be back early will they? Cause if we leave at 11 am then .45 drive, start riding at 12-12:30 dark by 4:30 home by 5-5:30pm anyone have a problem with that? I can ride all day into the night if need be...or Jason, your young and tough, make it by 10am...

I'm easy guys anytime is fine for me it's the weekend...

PS guys but ya gotta bid on my bike on ebay to scare up the price...need to hit the reserve this time....

Bicycle rider
    Man Ed… all this holiday drinking and eating… maybe I need to take a night off from the festivities so I can ride and lose some of this weight I have gained. 150 calories per beer X 6 beers a night for 5 nights = 5+ lbs! Not to mention all the sweets!

So it looks like it is me, you and MisterC (and maybe Eujin). Eujin, you back yet?

I heard you swear...
    I'm game!

So be there at 11?

mtbr member
    Very good Jason...now I know I can ride and walk my Perp with Sanders since your getting so out of shape J... So its the Perp...now do we all meet at 9, 10, 11 or 12?
    Ed

Sweeper
    Ed, I will not know until around 11pm if I can make it tomorrow. I will try to post on here or send you and Sander a message. Family leaves tomorrow afternoon!

mtbr member
    I will be up so go ahead and email me...gotta make sure I'm up til at least 12:01am...(Hence, it's officially my birthday)...if we don't get a consensus on time I gotta get up at 6am ... Otherwise I'm saying officially due to those with obligations we'll make it 11am at the park and ride...now if someone then has to be home early...yikes!
    Ed
    Last edited by cableguy46; 12-27-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Sweeper
    Holy S***! I forgot it is your B-Day! Birthday Ride!!! I will send you a email later tonight! 11am makes it better if I can come!

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's leaning to 11am....hope you are checking this out Mister C...I'll PM ya

another bozo on the bus
    time at place in fredrick? i will be on the bike in the early AM and may be up for round 2.

Masher
    11am is fine but is the 530 time for getting back a good estimate? I don't want to get back too much later than that.

mtbr member
    Hey Nate...we should be up there by 12...we'll be parking at the Park lot (the Start of the yellow trail)...Hope you make it will be good to see ya...
    Ed

mtbr member
    Yeah we should be done with the ride around 4pm...

C-ya in the morning.
    Ed

I heard you swear...
    Lets say 11 for the hell of it, and so Jason has time to "gather" him self. (Jokes Jokes!!)

oops: im a page behind! 11 sounds great

another bozo on the bus
    dont count on me as I doubt i will be back by 12, but i will make my along the yellow from hamburg and may run into the lot of you.

mtbr member
    Were going to do the yellow up to the comcast tower then down from there to that blast of a downhill blue run...then the long blue climb back to the over look then yellow back down to the parking lot...
    Yeah Sanders, you should know about nights out parting, your a young guy...so 11am ;ason should be feeling fine ROFLMAO.
    In the morning guys...
    Ed

Masher
    I might be out tomorrow if i don't get this problem fixed. Maybe you guys can help.

I cleaned most of the dirt off my bike with a hose and bike wash but my rear wheel was still dragging really bad through the brake caliper. So I took the wheel off to rub between the brake pads and try and get some of the dirt and grass etc. out and now I can't get the rotor back between the pads so I can't get the wheel back on at all.

I'm not sure how I clamped the rotors down like that but it seems, even if i get the wheel back on, they will squeeze down tight on the rotor without adjustment that I'm not sure how to make.

I am not a good mechanic by any stretch and I'm afraid to start pulling things apart without knowing what I am doing. Thoughts? Do you think someone in the group would be able to fix this if I can get the wheel on and my bike to the P&R.

Sorry for the short notice, I should have left well enough alone.

Sweeper
    Well, count me out for tomorrow. Looks like I will be a tour guide for a bit then just maybe try to squeeze a short ride in somewhere.

Have fun, be safe!

Happy Birthday Ed!!!

-Smitty

Masher
    Yes, Happy Birthday Ed! ...and sorry we lost you, Smitty.

Also, I just pryed the pads apart with a screwdriver but the rotor will barely move through the pads. I can move the bike but I don't think I can ride it without addressing this.

Sweeper
    MisterC, your issue sounds like you just touched the brake level while the wheel/rotor was off the bike? Should not be a big problem. I do not like to offer others services, but Sander who is going tomorrow is a master with almost anything mechanical and I am sure can fiqure it out for ya. Hope it works out. Sounds miner.

mtbr member
    If there mechanical there are only 3 adjusting points I can think of. 1 the knob right at the brake lever...2 the red dial right at the caliper...or 3 the cable tension...check those, and bring it I am sure one of us can get it going...

BTW thanks everyone for the happy b day.
    Ed

Sweeper
    If I remember correctly...... I think MisterC may have Hayes Storkers on his Rig?

Bicycle rider
    See you guys at 11. MisterC, bring your bike... I am sure we can get you rollin again.

mtbr member
    But if we cant get your rear brake fixed...heck you dont need it ya got your front and your feet...just like when we were kids....or heck throw your "fixie" gear on there...:0

Masher
    Sorry guys, I hope someone sees this so you don't wait up for me but I am not going to make it.

Happy birthday Ed, have fun, be careful and don't forget the pictures!

mtbr member
    Good ride today. Awesome weather and it sure felt good to be wearing shorts again. Here are the pics from the ride.

Getting ready at the parking lot:

mtbr member
    Couple of pics of the birthday boy...

mtbr member
    Sanders showing how it's done on a big bike:

Jason before he bombed uphill and disappeared into the distance:

mtbr member
    One of the few stream crossings:

Group shot after a cool descend:

mtbr member
    Last rocky hill climb. Taking these were my excuse for being dead last . Whew! That was a climb.

Sweeper
    Great pics! Glad you guys had fun! Looks like no rain until Wed!

I heard you swear...
    Awesome time, Thanks to all you guys for such a fun ride!

Some pictures, I have a video too that looks crazy, but the camera is very much looking at the ground. I'll get the position right in time...

mtbr member
    Great shots Sanders..I have all the little short clips up on my flickr account for my camera...it sure was a great day out, and I thank everyone for their gracious wishes on my Birthday...it was special for reasons that some of ya know and I'm glad to have spent it with ya all your becoming very good friends, thanks! And Nate that was very cool meeting you out there on the trail!!
    Ed

Sweeper
    Ed, I watched your short vids..... Now I know why my ears were itching a little today. I hear "Smitty" in the one vid! LOL..... Talking about how slow I am?

Bicycle rider
    Had a great time with everyone yesterday. Let’s try to do it again this week. Here is the motionbased from the ride. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7347480

mtbr member
    I want to get Sanders to go out and do the shuttle thing later this week...maybe Friday afternoon...doing the Mayor ride again at 9am Friday...

Bicycle rider
    Anyone want to ride Gambrill or Watershed tomorrow? We could meet at the Park and Ride and head up together. Let me know.

Cracker
    i was thinking about riding at patapsco tomorrow?

mtbr member
    See there ya go Jason someone to ride during the day...thecrackerasscraker...if ya wait i'll be out there after work.... that is Patapsco.

Happy Trails
    I rode Gambrill Yellow Trail today at 3PM and it was suuuu-premo. Zero standing water. Just enough moisture to be sticky. It was awesome. I am still buzzed from my groovy ride. I rode in Gore wind-bloc long pants and a Gore long sleeve wind-bloc jacket and Specialized Defroster winter shoes and my ten dollar Thinsulate gloves from Home Depot was feelin' happy. Send your in-laws to the outlet malls and get some trail on tomorrow. I'm going back, for sure.

mtbr member
    I'm up for a Patapsco ride. Gambrill will be too much of a time challenge for me tomorrow.

Cracker
    eujinc what time are you thinking about riding?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker
    eujinc what time are you thinking about riding?
    Late afternoon. Trying to hook up with Ed and looks like Jason is riding too, unless he heads up to Gambrill. Check the Weekday Patapsco thread for more info.

mtbr member
    B]IT WAS FRIGGIN INCREDIBLE...I'M IN LOVE WITH BIKING AGAIN...ESPECIALLY DH...OH...MY...GOD...IT'S LIKE HEAVEN...SPEED, MORE SPEED, THE PERP HANDLES THE SPEED, BUMPS, LITTLE BIT BIGGER BUMPS, NOW SOME JUMPS, ONE FOOT RISE, TWO FOOT RISE, THREE FOOT RISE, DAMN FOUR FOOT RISE AND STILL HITTING LIKE IT JUST JUMPED A CURB, THIS SHI* IS GOING TO ROCK THIS YEAR!!!! BEST OF ALL AFTER ALL THAT RUSH, YOU GET TO THE BOTTOM AND WHAM-A-JAMA A TRUCK IS WAITING TO SHUTTLE YA BACK UP...HOW COOL IS THAT, NO LUNG BUSTING HEART POPPING CLIMBS, WOW!!!! CAN I HEAR YA ALL SAY WOW!!! THIS IS ABOUT AS PUMPED UP AS MY HEART GOT TODAY...ONLY INSTEAD OF FROM STRAIN, IT WAS FROM EXCITMENT!!!!! WATCH OUT SANDERS, GET READY FOR WEEKEND ROAD TRIPS....
    [/B]

Okay here is the link to youtube with the almost one minute video off my phone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_91PGVH6eLc

This is so steep too...the first one is approx. 2', then ya blast down to a berm, then the second jump is apprx. 3-4' then ya hit a little 1-2 fotter right before a culvert...you land just at the top of the culvert, then drop down in it...come up the other side...BUT...be careful either have a butt load of speed to come out hitting the top of a "step-up" otherwise brake as you are coming out and go to the side of the step-up...cause if you go to slow coming out like I did...I had air but only enough to "PUNCH" the up ramp on the step-up, which sent me flying into the pit hole off to the side...BUT...damn all this rotective gear is great...jumped right up nothing sore, or better yet no blood...On the big jump in the middle, the first time down Sanders lost his feet and whew looked like he was going to make love to a tree, but being as skilled as he is..he missed it by his third & fourth hit he was "SKYING" off it...the man got skill!!!

mtbr member
    Looks like you guys had a blast. Cool vid, Ed. You gotta get a vid from a helmet cam next.

mtbr member
    Thats exactly what we were talking about, it would be very cool to see...next time I'll do it.

mtbr member
    MisterC didn't catch ya at the park and ride...sanders and I are on our way, and crackerass is going to meet up there...was hoping to see your bling...will post report after.
    Ed

Sweeper
    Ed, Steve(cracker) just called me by mistake and was looking for you. Was at your car with you bike but said didnt see you or Sander.

I am sure you will get a call from him or see missed calls before you look on here, but just thought I would mention it, encase you look here.

Masher
    Sorry guys, I guess I thought with the rain yesterday that no riding today was a given. The streets weren't even dry when I got come at 3:30ish. Weather said 38 degree high this morning so I didn't think the trails would be frozen so I just went and spun my fixie around town.

my cell is 443 472 2381 for future refence feel free to give me a call.

I hope next weekend is more cooperative. This one was a mess.

Bicycle rider
    MisterC – did you ride around Centennial park? I was driving up route 108 and saw someone on a fixie on the paved trail? Was it you?

Masher
    HA yeah, that was me although I just cut through there from Running Brook. I live right over in Dorsey.

mtbr member
    WRONG, MisterC...ya see Gambrills is pretty resilent in inclement weather...EXCEPT when it turns into an "ice skating rink"...BUT...even then it turns out to be a BLAST...Sanders and I got up there only to go around ONE turn and say "OH SH**" the road and terrain went to total ice...the trees bushes EVERYTHING was covered in ice...went by the parking lot at the yellow trailand only 3 cars were there...we did see 3 bikers heading into the woods...we got up top and I pulled over just to get a picture, couldn't believe the ground cover it was or looked liked ICE CUBES from your ice tray...it was very incredible...welll we headed on down the road to the Towers...as we rounded one corner there was a cop in the road and a car off the road into a tree...three guys standing on the road all looked okay but the car was "demolished"...the roads sucked...we got to the parking area or shall I say another skating rink....

Well Sanders and I were shocked...we decided to take a hike down the trail...man everything and I do mean EVERYTHING was covered in ice, on the ground was ice in the shape of tree limbs and leaves...the whole trail was covered by these chunks OR was simply a smooth sheet...very hard to walk on very slippery...

We hiked quite a ways down the trail all the way to the first 4 way intersection and man...the rocks look wet but were solid ice over them...the log climbs, holy cow were nothing but solid ice too...damn if your going to ride this...

Then all of a sudden my phone rings and it's Crackerass wanting to know where we are he's at the parking area, sees our bikes on our cars but no us...so we started heading back and he rode down to meet us...when he caught up he convinced us to give it a try said it was easier riding then it was walking...OKAY WHAT THE HECK, I'M ALWAYS GAME FOR A NEW EXPERIENCE...when we were getting ready Nate and a couple buddies came riding up via the power line route, thats when we recognized them form earlier as we were driving up...so hey 3 XC guys, so why not give it a go...after they left we finished getting ready then started out...very strange...a little slow start but then started getting the feel for letting the ice and rocks and obstructions kind of slide and bounce ya around like a pin ball and it worked...before long we were breezing right through...very cool...a few time felt a little "sketchy" but we all managed...now we didn't go up over a couple of the big log rollups cause they were covered in ice and worse so were the rocks on the backside...when we got down to the "jump park" only the top jump was doable, cause the landing area was not icy, the second BIG hit was way to icy and so was the landing...made it down to the bottom, then we turned around and HIKED 2 miles UP...what a *****!!!

half way up 6 guys on DH bikes came ripping by...AWESOME...things were looking up, the bottom half was starting to get just a little softer...by the time we got up top we decided "yep lets keep playing"...so we shuttled the cars and went out for another run...was faster and alot more fun this time...Sanders will tell ya about his fun ride down... When we got to the car man we found the mud...it was definenetly softer in the bottom half adn the bikes and our butts really showed it, they were covered in Mud...weeehhaaawwww what a frickin blast were having now...the inside of my car is a MESS now...

We did our shuttle thing, and decided one more run would be good...have to bring LOTS of food next time and a PU truck then we can stay till dark...this last run was again faster yet, and softer, and sure alot more fun too...I got a flat in the exact location as last week, Sanders bent his hanger and rear derailuer jsut like last week, then at the bottom just as we were coming to the creek crossing near the car Crackerass broke his chain just like David did last week...weird karma...but man that last run was the best...really feeling it and just runnning in a groove felt GREAT I'm lovin this DH stuff!!!! And Man MUD is what mountain biking is all about...

Made it to the car, went up and got Sanders, then headed into town for a great Mexican dinner...yep Mexican Jason, it's a great meal to fill ya quick...

Last edited by cableguy46; 01-11-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    HA yeah, that was me although I just cut through there from Running Brook. I live right over in Dorsey.
    Cool, I live just across from the park in Beaverbrook.

she keep you buying rats
    3 hour ride today in Sleepy Creek! I was thinking about doing the Shed because it should have been a little less ice. Looks like you guys had about as much as we did.

I mounted my Nokian 294's thursday morning:

Last edited by WeakMite; 01-11-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Masher
    My parents live in Beaverbrook. Where are you in the neighborhood?

Masher
    ...and I'm glad you guys had fun but based on those pictures, today wasn't for me.

Very good ride report and sorry to hear about all the mechanicals.

mtbr member
    Thanks MisterC...next trip Bro...the mech weren't to much hassle...fixed the flat, twisted the hanger straight and the broken chain was right near the car on the last run so it was all goooood!!

mtbr member
    Here's what we needed today...HAHAHAHA

Cracker
    thats bad ass
    now all that it need is to be hampster powered

mtbr member
    Crackerass...we need to see your videos and pics...

Cracker
    ok downloading

Cracker

today

heres some pis
    have to upload vids to youtube
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Here's what we needed today...HAHAHAHA

What part did you ride? We tried to go from Sand flat parking lot. But it was way to icy. One guy had studded tires and he was still sliding a little. I talked to some people who rode from Hamburg rd and they said it was fine on the south end of the Shed.

Cracker
    here s a vid from wakefield in va

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb6utfA0dEs

mtbr member
    awesome, thanks cracker....dkeg, we started from the Comcast Towers down to the bottom near the spring water...

Sweeper
    Glad to see you guys got some riding in! Patapsco is a NoGo! No riding there until a deep Freeze!

I heard you swear...
    sooooo fun, I would have never even imagined that riding that was going to be possible. Just goes to show, don't ever assume that anything is too hard or too stupid until you at least try it once!

Had a spill toward the end of the jump run, although all is well, and nothing crazy is wrong.

I sure would like to get a new bike after riding with all you guys with your banshee's and mr. perp!

I have a flickr site now,check it! pictures from today...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

mtbr member
    no problem this week then...it sounds like its going to be VERY cold....

Sweeper
    no problem this week then...it sounds like its going to be VERY cold....
    Riding today or tomorrow in Patapsco will be horrible. With the temp around 40 today and the Mid 40's tomorrow it is not going to be trail freindly at all to ride.

Now Wednesday is when the cold sets in! Cant wait to ride Saturday and Sunday. Have some freinds coming in from out of town that want to ride.

mtbr member
    Unless of course your doing tire/mud testing for the manufactures then darn gotta work...

WAAAAHHOOO Gambrills in the cold!!!

Sweeper
    Quote Originally Posted by sandersbigbike
    I sure would like to get a new bike after riding with all you guys with your banshee's and mr. perp!

[/url]

Oh Snap! Thinking about a new set of wheels Sander? I think you would look good on a banshee like Steve. He says the thing pedals great with no bob, but still plenty of travel to take the hits! Sounds like a great mix to me! And around 30lbs! What the hell would you do with a 30lbs ish bike Sander? LOL.....

Sweeper
    Wish I could make it to Gambrill this weekend. My freinds coming in from otu of town have always wanted to ride Patapsco and Loch Raven. I will be the "tour guide" at those two places this weekend! You "air getters" have fun!

mtbr member
    NAH, Sanders needs a "Big Hit" bike...gotta be able to rip it up at the Bike Parks this spring/summer...then get your AM bike after you get your Big Hit...

Sweeper
    Damn! Sander going to go balla and get multiple bikes!! I wish I could afford more than one bike!!

Cracker
    smitty needs to buy a bike with some real travel
    maybe join us on some dh

Sweeper
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackerasscracker
    smitty needs to buy a bike with some real travel
    maybe join us on some dh

lol..... I have always been a XC guy and dont have the urge to go get big air. I cannot afford another bike for a long time.
    Last edited by WeatherMan; 01-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.

I heard you swear...
    NAH, Sanders needs a "Big Hit" bike...gotta be able to rip it up at the Bike Parks this spring/summer...then get your AM bike after you get your Big Hit...
    Toss a single speed in there and we would have my millionaire dream list completed!

mtbr member
    Looks like Sunday for DH...Sanders chimed in, Crackerass chimed in, anyone else? I'm going to work on trying to get either my son-in-laws truck or invite him to drive...it's a quad cab...I'll let ya all know, just in case I can't we need to find one some where else...I even thought about rental at Home Depot...hmmmm...

Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0