Gambrill Yellow trail; clockwise or counter??- Mtbr.com
    My little friends

Gambrill Yellow trail; clockwise or counter??

Which way do you usually ride on this and why? I prefer clockwise from the lower lot; you get a nice warm-up for 1/2 mile that takes you to the big loose climb back up to the Park Road, then the climb to the rock gardens near the Frederick Overlook. The downhill rock garden definately tests your technical ability, but you get a great feeling when (and if) you clean it! Fast forward to the extended trail beyond the Park road and power line crossings; this has to be one of the best downhill areas in the park! It has a bit of everythig; switchbacks, rocks logs, fairly fast open areas, just plain fun! The climb to the power lines once you reach the bottom is at least fairly smooth, but slow (for me anyway! ), and not too extreme. I like to ride up the other side of the power lines after entering the woods and passing the pond, rather than try to climb the rock garden to the towers. Further ahead, the winding climb up to the Frederick Overlook lets you show off your slow speed handling, while saving a bit in the legs for the next uphill rock garden. I like to ride the rocky trail along the Park Road then blast down the big loose climb to the right at the stop sign, then take a high speed run to the parking lot. What are the best features of the counter clockwise run??

EA

Jan 2004
    Best part? Riding UP the rock garden descent you mentioned in your post

I was shown an awesome route on a group ride I attended a month or two ago. Starts on Hamburg road and rides south into Gambrill. Has some awesome descents and sweet climbs that eventually meet with the yellow trail and take you up to Overlook in the clockwise fashion. From overlook, you cross the street and continue onto Yellow clockwise and pop out at the powerline hill. Run down that a few feet and shoot into the Yellow extension to the left. Fast descent and *****in' climb up to the radio towers (go straight at the T intersection on the yellow ext. instead of going left). Ride the powerlines up to the second tower hill and take the Lawnmower trail back down the hill. Hook up with the fireroad and bomb down that for a bit and take your first left. Ride that to the 4 way intersection and go right onto the Rusty Bug trail. That pops out on Hamburg road and you take a left up that back to your car. Take your time and you can kill 3 hours on that ride. Hammer it out smoothly and you could do it in 2 hours. I'll try the hammering when the leaves aren't so *&#$*&$ slippery.

- Jeremy -

Members who have read this thread: 0