Gambril Riders- Rear Tire Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gambril Riders- Rear Tire Help

I took my new Pivot Mach 5 to Gambril yesterday and rode the black and yellow trail. The bike came with 2.35 Nevegals on the front and 2.35 Small Block 8 on the rear. I struggled the entire ride to get any traction in the rear. The rear tire would spin on the leaves and just not hook up. Any advice on another rear tire to use at Gambril?

mtbr member
    I've used Bontrager Jones...(shredded 2 on the side walls)...WTB Exiwolf (hooked up good), and now have the Kenda Karma (not to bad)...Love the Nevegals though have the same front one as you...I've never used the small blocks but watched many slip and slide on the wet leaves and rocks... plus the sidewalls I've also noticed get "sliced & diced" pretty easy too....The Mach 5 wow nice choice for Gambrills....try the Water Shed area too.

Ed

Happy Trails

Conti Mountain King 2.4s at Gambril

MKs are great tires. My bike is a Specialized SJ FSR. I am an experienced rider, but I ride Gambril slow and low (to the ground) ... no big hits for me. I just switched to Continental Mountain King Protection 2.4's from stock Specialized 2.0's and it made a huge difference. Immediate better climbing over those Gambril granite grapefruits. Probably a lot of the benefit resulted just from riding on a better/bigger tire, but I am very pleased with the MK's after a half dozen rides. And they have good buzz factor... nobody ever pulled me over to check my Spec's .... but now I get asked about the MKs. They are pricey ... about $60 at LBS but this was very well $pent money. Great value for a primo updrade. The knobs are a little smaller than on many tires, and they are spaced to shed mud, so MKs will probably need replacing more often. Also, the 2.4's are pretty "skinny" ... I've heard they compare to Kenda 2.3's in width. I'm thinking about trading my 2.4 on the back for a 2.2, but I have pretty good clearance with the 2.4. The clearance and tread came out pretty well in the photos. One more note: I had to return the one of my two tires purchased in November 2008 after I installed it but before I ever rolled it as it had a factory defective "split" in the sidewall seam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I've been hearing alot about the MK's sidewall issues...goodluck with yours...I've been "scraping" the dickens out of my Nevegals and there beatin the rocks up...

Happy Trails
    Yeah when the mechanic took the tire back he didn't even ask what was wrong... he found the defect before I even found it and showed to him... You think he knew what he was looking for? I guess now I have to think twice about MK's. I'm still digging mine... great performance... but I'll get some miles on 'em before calling in the jury.

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    I had the nevagal 2.1 on the front and a small block eight 2.1 on the back of my Superlight. I didn't have problems hooking up at the shed with that set up...the problem I had was with cutting the sidewalls on the small blocks. My Blur LT has a nevagal 2.35 on the back and a WTB weirwolf 2.3 on the front. The wierwolf is specified as a front tire, but probably works fine on the back. That set up works great in all kinds of conditions; dry rock, wet mud and icy rock, hell these tires hook up on everything that I ride on. They seem to be very durable....I have abused these tires for almost a year now and they still look good. I ride aggressively and play on the stunts at the shed and these tires have been money from day one.

ISO Perpetual FLOW
    A couple of things I forgot to mention. I have run Nevagals at the shed for three years now with no cuts or flats....running them converted tubeless for 1 yr now. Also the wider tires work great at the shed but def. have more rolling resistance. You should be fine with a 2.3 or smaller. Unless you shuttle up there those should be wide enough. Hope this helps you out.....have fun on the trails!!

The White Jeff W
    I use the Hutchinson Python New Generation Airlight tire in the 2.3 size. Fabulous climbing tire.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i was running a conti vapor 2.1 and that worked great the tread looks alot like the mks

mtbr member
    If you ride Gambrill only (not the Shed) You may be able to get away with Nevegals. I have found nothing that hooks up as well as they do. But they have very poor sidewalls. I have cut a least 6 or 7 up at the Shed/ Gambrill. Also I have had beads tear on 2 tires. I used a WTB exiwolf in the back and a Wierwolf in the front towards the end of the summer and they seemed to work and hold up OK. The Panaracer Rampage has the same tread pattern as the nevegal but I have not tried them yet. I also cut the sidewalls very fast on the Maxxis igntors I tried out. I been riding up at the Shed for 5 years now. I have found in the summer you can get away with several different tires but in the Fall and Winter Nevegals hook up the best. But if you are hard on tires be prepared to cut them.

mtbr member
    Thanks to everone for their suggestions. I think I will try out the Nevegals in the rear and save the Small Block 8 for Schaeffer this summer.

mtbr member
    Been pretty happy with my Schwalbe Fat Alberts UST on the rear.

check your six
    2.7 Minions, dual ply. Beefy for sure, but they hook up and take the abuse. But wait... I don't pedal up at all...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    WOW Minions 2.7...I just got a Perp which comes with the 2.5's, those 2.7's must be massive looking!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0