Freedom park

Printable View

• 06-16-2011
    blue42
    Freedom park
    I was really excited to hit Freedom park in Williamsburg. It was an hour drive from VA beach, and the weather was perfect yesterday. I started out hating it. The A course was relatively flat, with not much detail, other than a bunch of switchbacks and exposed roots. They became annoying, as the pine needles reduced the grip, and any real chance at speed. Part of it was closed, and the B course was more of the same. I think this is indicative of many of the coastal trails.

Then came the C course. This is where things began to look up. Gaps, drops, skinnies, teeters, and other assorted obstacles and jumps made the loop worth a return visit. There were varying levels of challenge (always a bypass marked) from small 2 foot drops, to something called the Big Easy... a drop that was well over 10 feet. Looks like a lot of work went into it's development, and the efforts are appreciated.

I want to go back, this time with a FF helmet and pads, as I was underequipped to hit some of the more interesting obstacles.

Worth a return visit, but dont bother with A or B unless you just want some exercise.
  • 07-04-2011
    Chronism
    Agreed. Been there twice. First time I rode A & B alone, got frustrated and left. Came back with friends this past weekend and we only did C. What a difference. Will make many return trips from Richmond for that route alone. Very fun.
  • 07-05-2011
    tcapri87
    was there in may. Awesome place to ride. Video I made, mainly from trail C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZftrKLZTvYs
  • 07-26-2011
    J-Ha
    Yeah, I felt pretty weird driving east to go riding with a big bike on the roof of my car! The C loop is definitely a blast, those guys have done a great job with that park.
  • 08-03-2011
    DavidR1
    You guys missed the D loop??? I think they even have the E loop now...

It is awsome that they have almost 25 miles of singletrack in that park.
  • 08-22-2011
    Weave
    D look is painful but entertaining and it exits near the entrance to E. E is very fun but has some tight corners where i missed the turn because i was going to fast. C is always a blast but its difficult to find the entrance due to construction in the area.
  • 09-02-2011
    CG 29er
    Anyone been to Freedom Park since Irene? I am hoping to get an update on the conditions prior to making the 1 hour + drive this weekend. Not sure how often they clear down trees from the trails or if they even saw a lot of wind/rain up there.
  • 09-02-2011
    DavidR1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CG 29er View Post
    Anyone been to Freedom Park since Irene? I am hoping to get an update on the conditions prior to making the 1 hour + drive this weekend. Not sure how often they clear down trees from the trails or if they even saw a lot of wind/rain up there.

Yep, you should absolutely make the 1+ hour drive to Freedom this weekend. Bring your work gloves instead of your bike though:thumbsup:

EVMA is planning a work day this Saturday to clear the park.
  • 09-08-2011
    BikePSU
    Freedom trails are clear and in great condition
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CG 29er View Post

The trails were in great condition Monday morning. Provided it doesn't rain, you should have a great ride at Freedom. The county will sometimes close the park trails and EVMA usually makes the announcement when they are closed through their website...

Although this might have been sent too late.
  • 09-08-2011
    Evan55
    hrm, house sitting for my parents this weekend in wmbg, maybe I should bring my DH bike....

so much rain this week though, I imagine its super muddy