Frederick Watershed Shuttling Routes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Frederick Watershed Shuttling Routes

Iíve been out there a few times looking for some shuttle routes to do with my son and his friends that like bike parks. So far Iíve only found one - Bucks Flat, Cactoctin Blue, Little Canaan down and then using Fishing Creek Road to get up to Hamburg Parking Lot.

But I donít think Iíve found the popular or best routes yet. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My little friends
    Not sure why you are using the term, "shuttling", since that means a ride back to the top. Anyway, one of my go-to loops begins at Hamburg lot. Take the Blue trail towards Gambril, (parking lot side of the road.) . Follow the Blue across the VW trail, across the lower section of the Stoner Road fire road, and then watch for the double red paint markers. Turn right, uphill. Continue until you see an open meadow, and look for the fire road, (Stoner), to the left. Climb the fire road until it levels out, and watch for the VW trail off to the right. The VW trails is a great downhill run, with it's steepest section near the bottom. Cross the stream at the bottom, and climb up to Hamburg Road. Cross the road and hit Knuckle Buster, which will slowly climb up to the Blue trail. Left on Blue puts you back at the parking lot.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cesjr View Post
    Iíve been out there a few times looking for some shuttle routes to do with my son and his friends that like bike parks. So far Iíve only found one - Bucks Flat, Cactoctin Blue, Little Canaan down and then using Fishing Creek Road to get up to Hamburg Parking Lot.

But I donít think Iíve found the popular or best routes yet. Any ideas?

Ya if you consider that a 'shuttle run' then you don't need to find the real shuttle runs... Which is good because you won't get anyone (me included) to post about them online.

We've got a work day on Saturday, I'd love to tell you all about some good routes after some digging.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Ya if you consider that a 'shuttle run' then you don't need to find the real shuttle runs... Which is good because you won't get anyone (me included) to post about them online.

We've got a work day on Saturday, I'd love to tell you all about some good routes after some digging.
    yea I was asking because i didn't think that one was great. But if people don't want to tell me where they are, fine, i'll just keep looking myself. Eventually i'll ride all the trails. there's a few but it's not like i can't try them all out or pedal for that matter.

WillWorkForTrail
    yea I was asking because i didn't think that one was great. But if people don't want to tell me where they are, fine, i'll just keep looking myself. Eventually i'll ride all the trails. there's a few but it's not like i can't try them all out or pedal for that matter.
    But he said he would tell you. I'd go to the workday. See, the thing is, it's not cool to post unofficial stuff online. So...yeah. Give a little, get a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    But he said he would tell you. I'd go to the workday. See, the thing is, it's not cool to post unofficial stuff online. So...yeah. Give a little, get a lot.
    Iím not sure Iíd want to ride unofficial trails. More interested in the trails that are legal and on trail forks and MTB project. I would like to help on trails thatís fair though

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Iím not sure Iíd want to ride unofficial trails. More interested in the trails that are legal and on trail forks and MTB project. I would like to help on trails thatís fair though

We have legal downhill trails, that's what I'm talking about. The day is coming fast when there will be maps and signs and all that, but until then I'm still a little bit in the camp that having all the info out there for those types of trails (high consequence essentially) isn't in our best interest... Also it's just damn difficult to type out good directions since there aren't any signs or maps anywhere at all.

You won't find the good stuff on Trail Forks or MTB Project, saw a guy out yesterday preparing to climb a god-awful, waist high grass and million downed tree fire road because he was using Trail Forks... You just can't follow that out here.

We have a lot of work days scheduled and BSing about our favorite trails (and even riding them after) is pretty much a given. Not trying to twist your arm to help, moreso just being realistic that that's the only way I can really help you. (Of course putting a little skin in the game never hurts either, certainly motivates me more than a forum post.)

Riding them all isn't a bad idea either, it's how most of us learned - but it takes a LOT of time and mistakes. If you count Gambrill and all the junk trails no one really rides I think we've got 150 miles up here.

https://frederickwatershedtrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    We have legal downhill trails, that's what I'm talking about. The day is coming fast when there will be maps and signs and all that, but until then I'm still a little bit in the camp that having all the info out there for those types of trails (high consequence essentially) isn't in our best interest... Also it's just damn difficult to type out good directions since there aren't any signs or maps anywhere at all.

You won't find the good stuff on Trail Forks or MTB Project, saw a guy out yesterday preparing to climb a god-awful, waist high grass and million downed tree fire road because he was using Trail Forks... You just can't follow that out here.

We have a lot of work days scheduled and BSing about our favorite trails (and even riding them after) is pretty much a given. Not trying to twist your arm to help, moreso just being realistic that that's the only way I can really help you. (Of course putting a little skin in the game never hurts either, certainly motivates me more than a forum post.)

Riding them all isn't a bad idea either, it's how most of us learned - but it takes a LOT of time and mistakes. If you count Gambrill and all the junk trails no one really rides I think we've got 150 miles up here.

Hrumpf !

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    Hrumpf !
    Aw c'mon Dean, you know I'm much friendlier in person!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Shed has a long history of MTB access being in a state of jeopardy, especially all of the DH trails. That's why no one posts about it online and maps are non-existent.

Trust your turbo lust
    Apr 2010
    also, keep in mind that they are planning closing the gravel roads to automotive traffic in a couple months. I have heard rumors that it is going to be only accessible from Mountaindale Rd via a gated entrance. but that is only what I have heard in passing.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
    also, keep in mind that they are planning closing the gravel roads to automotive traffic in a couple months. I have heard rumors that it is going to be only accessible from Mountaindale Rd via a gated entrance. but that is only what I have heard in passing.
    I work with the City on behalf of MORE... I can confirm what you heard - access will still be available at Mountaindale Road but all other entrances to the gravel (Fishing Creek, Delauter and the gravel Gambrill Park Road entrance) will be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    The Shed has a long history of MTB access being in a state of jeopardy, especially all of the DH trails. That's why no one posts about it online and maps are non-existent.
    Again, I'm working with the City and luckily we are in a good place. Maps will be coming soon, as will signage and blazing. We are going to lose some trails that are in sensitive habitat, but I think most will be happy with the results if it means legitimization and no more worry of losing all access.

We've also got almost five miles being built in the south that is more than half done and riding fantastic - two new trails are already open and we've got work days every weekend for those looking to help out: