Frederick Watershed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Frederick Watershed

Getting back into riding regularly after a long time away (bike is a 2006 to give you an idea). I've ridden the Gambrill yellow trail a few times lately but was curious about the Watershed. Always rode on the aggressive side of XC, never really freeride.

Back when I raced and rode a lot from 2000 to 2011 or so, I'd always avoid the watershed because of the (seemingly confirmed) rumors of booby traps on the trail (nails, fishing wire/hooks, etc.). I wasn't on MTBR at the time... mostly Ridemonkey back when it was in it's prime. I don't see any mention of it here since 2017 and I see a lot of people on bikes and hiking there... safe to guess that it's been a while since there was an issue?

Not going to talk about trails here because I know better... but any sensitive areas to keep away from? I remember something about a rattlesnake habitat that was sensitive. I always avoid using trails in hunting areas on hunting days, and will wear blaze orange anywhere near hunting areas in season, so I've got that one covered.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    There are definitely snakes out there, the facebook group posts pictures pretty regularly, but not sure if any spot is worse than others. Pretty cool video of the Shed posted on BKXC recently, though as others pointed up, he rode down the uptrail (3-saws) which is still pretty fun. Haven't heard of any booby traps recently, but during COVID I think it has gotten more crowded, as everywhere outdoors has around here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gdg1 View Post
    There are definitely snakes out there, the facebook group posts pictures pretty regularly, but not sure if any spot is worse than others. Pretty cool video of the Shed posted on BKXC recently, though as others pointed up, he rode down the uptrail (3-saws) which is still pretty fun. Haven't heard of any booby traps recently, but during COVID I think it has gotten more crowded, as everywhere outdoors has around here.
    Yeah i was surprised at the amount of people... still much better than most state parks for sure. Oh and yep snakes are a fact of life (plus bears, deer, ticks, etc)... just thought a trail had been shut down in the past because of a rattlesnake nesting area (to pretext snakes, not people).

I actually saw that video having no idea who that dude was. I've gone up and down three saws yet, but I'll make it over to boundary line next time. Getting an older bike back up to snuff then it's on the list.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FredCoMTB View Post
    Yeah i was surprised at the amount of people... still much better than most state parks for sure. Oh and yep snakes are a fact of life (plus bears, deer, ticks, etc)... just thought a trail had been shut down in the past because of a rattlesnake nesting area (to pretext snakes, not people).
    In all fairness if you stay away from the new trails and the Hamburg Trailhead, most of the trails in the watershed are still pretty empty. If you ride from Sand Flats you might come across a few more riders and hikers than you would have pre-COVID, but it is far from crowded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    In all fairness if you stay away from the new trails and the Hamburg Trailhead, most of the trails in the watershed are still pretty empty. If you ride from Sand Flats you might come across a few more riders and hikers than you would have pre-COVID, but it is far from crowded.
    Yeah, and still less crowded than most parks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Agreed, think my comment came out wrong. There are more people there than before but not what I would call "crowded" -- Particularly with other MoCo area parks and trails that are packed by 7 am. I don't want to expand too much, less I encourage crowds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gdg1 View Post
    Agreed, think my comment came out wrong. There are more people there than before but not what I would call "crowded" -- Particularly with other MoCo area parks and trails that are packed by 7 am. I don't want to expand too much, less I encourage crowds.
    True, what i said might come across wrong as well. There's still a shit ton of people. Just not as bad as say MoCo or Ptap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    True, what i said might come across wrong as well. There's still a shit ton of people. Just not as bad as say MoCo or Ptap.
    Yep exactly relative to what i expected is what I meant. Patapsco I haven't been to since COVID, but I'd imagine it's packed. Might try a dawn ride there but that's about it. I like the solitude of it so I try to plan accordingly.

That being said I might get out to the McKeldin area of Patapsco... used to race there a ton and enjoyed the red and white trails if I'm remembering right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hey all, hoping someone can help me out with my bike search. I'm coming from a hardtail with 130mm up from and fairly dated but not ancient geometry (short reach, long tt, 67 HTA). After an injury and a bit of time off the bike I'll be good to ride in the next few months, and I'm hoping to find the right bike to can tackle terrain like the shed. I'll be easing back into riding but I enjoy challenging terrain and felt that I had been progressing a lot prior to my injury.

I'll for sure be getting something with modern geo but where I get a bit stuck is what amount of travel and what range of head tube angles are gonna be good for this kind of terrain. I know demoing would be smart but that seems out of the question with the way bike shops are at the moment, and I don't really have any qualms about buying before I ride as long as the decision is well informed (which it will be lol). Anyway, if choosing between bikes like the Ibis Ripley and Ripmo or SC Tallboy or Hightower, has anyone found that one category is much more suited to this kind of terrain? Will I benefit more from more modern geometry with similar travel, at least up front, to my old bike? Will modern geo with an even slacker HTA and a bit more travel overall increase my room for error, or will it be be too much bike? Maybe split the difference with a bike like the Orbea Occam or Kona Process 134?

Curious to hear what you all think, I know there's not one "right" answer so any thoughts are appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Bike Recommendation for the Shed

Hey all, hoping someone can help me out with my bike search. I'm coming from a hardtail with 130mm up from and fairly dated but not ancient geometry (short reach, long tt, 67 HTA). After an injury and a bit of time off the bike I'll be good to ride in the next few months, and I'm hoping to find the right bike to can tackle terrain like the shed. I'll be easing back into riding but I enjoy challenging terrain and felt that I had been progressing a lot prior to my injury.

I'll for sure be getting something with modern geo but where I get a bit stuck is what amount of travel and what range of head tube angles are gonna be good for this kind of terrain. I know demoing would be smart but that seems out of the question with the way bike shops are at the moment, and I don't really have any qualms about buying before I ride as long as the decision is well informed (which it will be lol).

Anyway, if choosing between bikes like the Ibis Ripley and Ripmo or SC Tallboy or Hightower, has anyone found that one category is much more suited to this kind of terrain? Will I benefit more from more modern geometry with similar travel, at least up front, to my old bike? Will modern geo with an even slacker HTA and a bit more travel overall increase my room for error, or will it be be too much bike? Maybe split the difference with a bike like the Orbea Occam or Kona Process 134?

Curious to hear what you all think, I know there's not one "right" answer so any thoughts are appreciated!