Frederick watershed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Frederick watershed

Hi all,

I was contemplating riding the watershed on Friday, but just realized spring turkey season begins on Wednesday. Is turkey hunting an issue there, is it safe to ride during the week? Or should I just go elsewhere?

My little friends
    Dawn and dusk are the most popular hunting times up there. A mid day ride will be no problem. Also, "most" hunters will realize that hunting along a main multi-use trail will be fruitless, and you will only encounter them as they walk in or out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hello,

Looking to ride this area next Wednesday 5/23/18 morning for +/- 3 hours for the first time. What is the best place to park that gives us best access to all the cool, rock features and techy trails I've been seeing photos of for years. Always wanted to check this place out. Any advice is much appreciated and if any locals are available to guide us around that would be better yet.. Any route suggestions or maps available?
    Thank you,
    Steve

My little friends
    The parking lot on Hamburg Road is a good centralized starting point for exploration, but unfortunately, we will have had close to a foot of rain by then and even though a good portion of the trails drain well, it will still be a muddy mess next Wednesday.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    The parking lot on Hamburg Road is a good centralized starting point for exploration, but unfortunately, we will have had close to a foot of rain by then and even though a good portion of the trails drain well, it will still be a muddy mess next Wednesday.
    Yup, unfortunately the easy to navigate stuff is the most sensitive and will likely still be muddy Wednesday. Up north in the rocks you will probably be OK by then, but those trails are pretty tough for a visitor to navigate.

I might suggest Gambrill State Park instead. It's about as rocky as anything in the watershed (though more rugged, less features), drains superbly and is well mapped and blazed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the replies! We're going to let it dry out and ride these places at a later date. We'll hit the rocky ridges, and terrain of Michaux SF this Wed. It holds up well even with a big soaker.

Ride On!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How is the shed? May go tomorrow if it doesn't rain.