• 11-19-2018
    Arctic Pride
    Fountainhead rain closure?
    Hey all seeing some showers in the area for this coming Sat, do they usually close the trails at Fountainhead with a hint of rain or does it have to be dumping?
  • 11-20-2018
    useport80
    usually a hint of rain will close it. it's open today and will probably stay open until saturday
  • 03-11-2019
    brokenSaddle
    Is Fountainhead rideable? I'd like to head there tomorrow. I'm new to the area and haven't been there yet.
  • 03-11-2019
    useport80
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brokenSaddle View Post
    Is Fountainhead rideable? I'd like to head there tomorrow. I'm new to the area and haven't been there yet.

    probably not gonna be open, but the new park ranger has been good about opening up more frequently. if you haven't already, follow fountainhead on facebook. they post closed/open info. or you can call the park for trail status.
  • 03-11-2019
    brokenSaddle
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    probably not gonna be open, but the new park ranger has been good about opening up more frequently. if you haven't already, follow fountainhead on facebook. they post closed/open info. or you can call the park for trail status.

    Thanks!
  • 03-17-2019
    Nubster
    I think they close the trails down there if someone spits on the trail. I guess that's not a terrible thing...keeps them in good shape. But when you're trying to plan a trip down 9I'm about 2 hours away) and it rains not even that heavily on Wednesday and they are still closed on Saturday, the day we wanted to come down...it's a bit annoying. But certainly there will be plenty of chances to get to ride there this summer unless it was like last summer with all the bullschiit weather we had.
  • 03-18-2019
    edubfromktown
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I think they close the trails down there if someone spits on the trail. I guess that's not a terrible thing...keeps them in good shape. But when you're trying to plan a trip down 9I'm about 2 hours away) and it rains not even that heavily on Wednesday and they are still closed on Saturday, the day we wanted to come down...it's a bit annoying. But certainly there will be plenty of chances to get to ride there this summer unless it was like last summer with all the bullschiit weather we had.

    Nonsense.

    Quite often Fountainhead is open when many trails in the DC metro area are closed. Check the status before heading there and you will generally be pleasantly surprised.

    It has been exceptionally rainy the past year or two and Iím amazed how well many of the trails have held up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 03-18-2019
    C88
    Where can you find a trail status? Hoping to ride there tonight (or this week at least)

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Nonsense.

    Quite often Fountainhead is open when many trails in the DC metro area are closed. Check the status before heading there and you will generally be pleasantly surprised.

    It has been exceptionally rainy the past year or two and Iím amazed how well many of the trails have held up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • 03-18-2019
    bogeydog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by C88 View Post
    Where can you find a trail status? Hoping to ride there tonight (or this week at least)

    Their Facebook page

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
  • 04-01-2019
    drcollie
    If Fountainhead is closed due to rain when you arrive, just a few miles away is the Laurel Hill Mountain Bike Trails (Equestrian Center) right off Lorton Road. This is the "driest" of all the area trail networks and they never close it. The trails hold up so well that its rideable in the afternoon after a morning rain. While not as gnarly as Fountainhead, its a great alternative and 15 minutes away.

    https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/5298304/laurel-hill