Fountainhead park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Fountainhead park

can you bike from Bull run park to Fountainhead park via Bull Run/Occoquan Trail? or is there any biking close to the NOVA campus in Manassas. thanks

Bicycle Radical
    http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run/c...estrian_trails

*Bicycles are prohibited on all natural surface trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    thanks, i guess i didnt read it close enough,

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Is it open this weekend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    https://www.facebook.com/thefountainheadproject

Just a heads up for next Sunday April 1st, 2012. Fountainhead Park will be hosting a Back Yard Burn run race on the NON Mountain Bike Trails. Although our trail will be used for the event, Parking will be extremely limited.

Fountainhead Conditions Ride Line: ( 703) 250-9124

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798;

Fountainhead Conditions Ride Line: ( 703) 250-9124
    Thanks for the hotline!

Bicycle Radical
    I went there this afternoon and had a blast. Conditions were about perfect.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It was amazing out there today. First time ever for me. Got lost... A lot. But had a great time
    Go big or go home... In my case, going big often makes me go home in pain

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I hate to ask, but how did you get lost?

mtbr member
    Agreed, it's directional with signs at every intersection leading you either deeper in the trail system or back to the lot (or as I see it, choosing man or child ;-) jk )

Helmetless Crasher
    What is the total length of the full circuit? I ran the entire loop and my bike computer said 10.3, but the park trail map says like 8.5?

Which is it?

Thanks
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 04-08-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

beautiful jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    What is the total length of the full circuit? I ran the entire loop and my bike computer said 10.3, but the park trail map says like 8.5?

Which is it?

Thanks
    Fountainhead is going through a massive redesign and the park map likely has not yet been updated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by one incredible donkey View Post
    Fountainhead is going through a massive redesign and the park map likely has not yet been updated.
    x2 i doubt the map is accurate since they are still working on it but your computer is probably right it does feel like its a bit longer than last year before the work started

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The new trail is phenomenal! Much improved over the old trail: more flowing, faster and smoother. The old trail was ridden with roots and rocks; but the new trail is mostly smoothed compacted dirt. I do feel that the general elevation changes have decreased as the climbs are not as intense. In any regards, I think the new trail is perfect for single-speed. I just finished my 29er SS carbon HT build (30T x 18T) and road it twice there...for me, my new build and the new trail match up extremely well that I don't see a need to bring my geared bike to FH.

See you out there!

Bicycle Radical

Which is it?

Thanks
    On the Fountainhead project page on FB, someone posted their Garmin track of the trails and their measurement was 10.3 miles. The 'official map' is not accurate anymore due to the changes being made.

Either way, the trail rules. I completed the circuit yesterday and it ruined me - in a good way!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon12 View Post
    I don't see a need to bring my geared bike to FH.
    I ride 1x9 out there and sometimes wish I still had granny...those switch backs are hell on a fat guy

Personally, I like to do the first "half" of the trail twice. It comes out to 12 miles. I get to ride all the new good stuff and I'm not a fan of the rear 4-5 miles that are still mostly old trails and have a few miles of flat rock/root sections. It just bores me (and beats me on my hardtail)

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by scorchedearth View Post

Either way, the trail rules. I completed the circuit yesterday and it ruined me - in a good way!
    No question.
    They got it right w/ the renovations. Nice mix of the old and new. Seems the old portion w/ all the rocks/roots is perfect for a 29er. My buddy, who is a relative novice, got through it quite well on his hardtail 29er.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    What tire pressure f/r do you use for FH? I'll be on a 29er.
    Enjoy the ride!

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by RCMTB View Post
    I run 28/32 on my tubeless 26er. I weigh 225 suited-up.

It all varies by rider preference, weight, tire, tube/tubeless, etc.

The trail is like two totally different trails in one. The new roller-coaster BMX portion is smooth "blue groove" hard pack and loose sand over hard, and the old portion is a rock/root fest with pulverized leaves and soft dirt surface. Very dry/dusty right now, too.

So you may have to play around with tire psi to find a happy medium.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I run 28/32 on my tubeless 26er. I weigh 225 suited-up.

It all varies by rider preference, weight, tire, tube/tubeless, etc.

The trail is like two totally different trails in one. The new roller-coaster BMX portion is smooth "blue groove" hard pack and loose sand over hard, and the old portion is a rock/root fest with pulverized leaves and soft dirt surface. Very dry/dusty right now, too.

So you may have to play around with tire psi to find a happy medium.
    Thanks. 28/32 sounds like a good starting point.
    Enjoy the ride!

Bicycle Radical
    I run 35F/30R on my tubed 26er. It suits me just fine. I haven't experienced any pinch flats or other trouble.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    On the Fountainhead project page on FB, someone posted their Garmin track of the trails and their measurement was 10.3 miles. The 'official map' is not accurate anymore due to the changes being made.

Hmm did the entire circuit today, and it only measured 8.40??? Ive done it with the GPS as the distance measure, and with the wheel magnet.

Fountainhead by nov0798 at Garmin Connect - Details
    Last edited by nov0798; 04-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Hmm did the entire circuit today, and it only measured 8.40???

Fountainhead by nov0798 at Garmin Connect - Details
    As you know, there are a few trail options one can take, like "new" vs. "old" versions of certain trails, etc. Depending on the particular route you took, it could account for some of the difference.

The other issue is the fact that the trail (especially the new portion) constantly goes up and down like a roller coaster - this adds to the mileage vs. it being flat. GPS does not account for this pythagoras effect.

According to the FB page, it measures 10.1M via GPS and over 10.5M via wheel. https://www.facebook.com/#!/thefountainheadproject

The GPS map The New Fountainhead - Fairfax County, Virginia, US
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 04-10-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There are no new vs old options available, that Im aware of?? There are the bypasses, but I dont take those.

mtbr member
    There are no new vs old options available, that Im aware of?? There are the bypasses, but I dont take those.
    new shockabilly vs old shockabilly is the only thing that comes to mind.

My gps comes up with 10.x miles every time I ride there...so maybe you skipped something?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25 View Post
    new shockabilly vs old shockabilly is the only thing that comes to mind.
    That one and I thought there was another one, I guess not. Oh well . . .

Plenty of forks in the trail, though, albeit with directional signage. Plenty of opportunity for folks to deviate from what is intended, like the gentleman above apparently did.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Bicycle Radical
    That one and I thought there was another one, I guess not. Oh well . . .
    There are a couple of other small forks. There is one that lets you avoid the large wooden ramp and there is one where you can avoid the ladder ramps. Those are insignificant compared with SOB old and SOB new however.

Helmetless Crasher
    There are a couple of other small forks. There is one that lets you avoid the large wooden ramp and there is one where you can avoid the ladder ramps. Those are insignificant compared with SOB old and SOB new however.
    Agreed.
    I meant forks where there is a sign that says "trail" with an arrow directing you where to go to stay on the intended trail. Possible somebody could miss those - not sure how, but possible.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Bicycle Radical
    Agreed.
    I meant forks where there is a sign that says "trail" with an arrow directing you where to go to stay on the intended trail. Possible somebody could miss those - not sure how, but possible.
    It depends on how hard one has been riding until that point. O2 starvation can do all kinds of things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hmm, looking at all my Garmin tracks from the OLD FH to the new FH, they are all consistent every time. I wonder if something is wrong with my GPS unit? Ill have to take it out and measure it against a known distance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Rode FH again this weekend. Was very nice on Saturday early afternoon. Temp was high 50's and dry.

First run on a new 2012 Motobecane Fantom Team 26" after replacing the old GT Force.

New bike is so much lighter (24 pounds) and ended up stalling out on two uphills with turns and over roots, not being used to the lighter change.

Did new Shockabilly prior, but this weekend took the old Shockabilly and it's still WAY fun, especially the last section that looks like a sheer two foot drop, but has the wooden ramp down.
    Overall great temps, flow, conditions, and lots of fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    idk if you guys have seen the new map online but according to the map it all adds up to a little over 10 miles if i remember correctly...

on a side note i get home from school this weekend so hopefully ill be able to hit up FH saturday morning

beautiful jackass
    I ride 1x9 out there and sometimes wish I still had granny...those switch backs are hell on a fat guy

Personally, I like to do the first "half" of the trail twice. It comes out to 12 miles. I get to ride all the new good stuff and I'm not a fan of the rear 4-5 miles that are still mostly old trails and have a few miles of flat rock/root sections. It just bores me (and beats me on my hardtail)
    How do you do this? Where do you turn off to start the second lap of the first part?

Bicycle Radical
    How do you do this? Where do you turn off to start the second lap of the first part?
    From what I know, you just take the exit trail and drop back in at the main entrance. Correct me if I misunderstood your question.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also check in the new bridge overpass/underpass or at the bottom of Shockabilly. Don't have a map up atm, but that may be another option as well.

mtbr member
    From what I know, you just take the exit trail and drop back in at the main entrance. Correct me if I misunderstood your question.
    Pretty much.

I ride to the gully where there is that really long log skinny on the ground and head towards the exit from there.

beautiful jackass
    Pretty much.

I ride to the gully where there is that really long log skinny on the ground and head towards the exit from there.
    Sweet, thanks - that sounds like a good alternative for some rides to mix it up. I really think they botched up the section of trail after the skinny ladder bridges and before SOB. The inclusion of large speed bumps on an already-slow section of trail is almost an insult to the rest of the ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sweet, thanks - that sounds like a good alternative for some rides to mix it up. I really think they botched up the section of trail after the skinny ladder bridges and before SOB. The inclusion of large speed bumps on an already-slow section of trail is almost an insult to the rest of the ride.
    dude i feel you, its like a pump track with no flow its like they just put random bumps

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    This has been discussed over on the MORE forums. The reason for the "bumps" is to protect the roots of the trees along side the trail. Next time you ride notice how the bumps coincide with the trees that line the trail system.

As the trail wears in those bumps should become less significant. It is possible to ride those with some flow. I'd like to see the experts on those sections during the Cranky Monkey to see how they ride it.

I really think they botched up the section of trail after the skinny ladder bridges and before SOB. The inclusion of large speed bumps on an already-slow section of trail is almost an insult to the rest of the ride.

mtbr member
    I blew out my rear tire last week and had to walk through that last section with all the bumps..they are fairly annoying while riding, insanely annoying on foot. Then I walked down the improved "old SOB" just to check out the ramps they put on the water bars and it looked awesome...it may have been the most frustrating day of my life lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    and there is one where you can avoid the ladder ramps.
    Where is this? The only thing that comes to close in my head when you say "ladder ramps" are the two or three 6" step ups you encounter around mile 2 or 3 after a switchback climb and a little before the wooden ramp/drop with the bypass.

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunayoshi View Post
    Where is this? The only thing that comes to close in my head when you say "ladder ramps" are the two or three 6" step ups you encounter around mile 2 or 3 after a switchback climb and a little before the wooden ramp/drop with the bypass.
    Perhaps I used the wrong term for those obstacles. On the second loop, about 60% of the way through, you can take one of two paths. One goes up these raised wooden skinnies (you could call them) and the other goes around them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Perhaps I used the wrong term for those obstacles. On the second loop, about 60% of the way through, you can take one of two paths. One goes up these raised wooden skinnies (you could call them) and the other goes around them.
    OK got it...I don't ride those, so to meet those are an advanced "B" line...

Actually shows how something elevated can screw you mentally...I rode the new boardwalk to flyover section after SOB the 1st time without even blinking even though you have a small step in the middle of the creek (which I honestly didn't notice until I almost ran into it)...but those elevated boardwalks trip me up every time.

mtbr member
    I've been riding my Tallboy seriously for about two and a half months on trails near by including Laurel Hills, Wakefield and Accoutink. Fountainhead is close by where I live. Several of the riders I've met suggest not to try FH for a year or so due to the the intensity and technical level of the trail. I seem to be getting through Laurel Hill and Wakefield fairly easily. Accoutink is relatively harder.

How difficult is Fountainhead?

Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I wouldn't worry about it being too challenging for you to handle. There may be some hills and features that you won't clean your first trip out, but if you can handle the other parks you can do Fountainhead. There is pretty good signage on the new stuff when a "dangerous" feature is coming up. Mostly small drops and one wooden ramp that has gotten a lot of publicity on the MORE website. Be prepared to suck some wind though!

mtbr member
    Thx JT for the advice and the good info. I'm sure we will run into each other at FH. I will be the one on the black Tallboy gasping for air on my way up the steep climbs :-)

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTallboy View Post
    I've been riding my Tallboy seriously for about two and a half months on trails near by including Laurel Hills, Wakefield and Accoutink. Fountainhead is close by where I live. Several of the riders I've met suggest not to try FH for a year or so due to the the intensity and technical level of the trail. I seem to be getting through Laurel Hill and Wakefield fairly easily. Accoutink is relatively harder.

How difficult is Fountainhead?

Thx
    If you can handle Accotink, you can handle Fountainhead. FH is just longer.

mtbr member
    Accotink is approx 8 miles full loop (from wakefield side to the accotink dam section and back to wakefield). I hear FH is about 10 miles correct? Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've measured it between 10.3 and 10.5. Have fun and report in after you've ridden it.

mtbr member
    Rode FH today for the first time in 2 years and wow that was awesome...the new trail work is freaking awesome...second time on my new camber and it ate everything up...now on to dirtfest tomarrow

mtbr member

Fountainhead park

All of you were on the money. Started riding FH full loop recently. It's a great ride with plenty of challenges on technical and endurance/fitness side.I don't think there are any comparable trails by where I live that matches the intensity and technical level or even the fun factor. Accotink trail with Wakefield added to it is my second favorite. Waketink is about 4 miles longer than FH but not the same intensity level. I think FH will soon be my regular training trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbtacolover View Post
    idk if you guys have seen the new map online but according to the map it all adds up to a little over 10 miles if i remember correctly...

on a side note i get home from school this weekend so hopefully ill be able to hit up FH saturday morning
    I've been seeing about 10.7 to 10.8 miles on my rides and it's not from GPS but from the rear wheel sensor. FH is definitely a great trail and one of the better one's in the area. There are alot of great trails. I have yet to ride Rosaryville, but hope to this summer. Oh and Patapsco too.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Check out Quantico, its alot of fun, 10 miles and around 1400 ft of climbing. If you want some cardio workout, this is your place IMO. There is nothing really technical about it, its just a great trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been seeing about 10.7 to 10.8 miles on my rides and it's not from GPS but from the rear wheel sensor. FH is definitely a great trail and one of the better one's in the area. There are alot of great trails. I have yet to ride Rosaryville, but hope to this summer. Oh and Patapsco too.
    The official mileage of FH is 10.92, but I NEVER get that on my wheel sensor, or using just the GPS. It seems to vary every time I ride it, go figure?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Check out Quantico, its alot of fun, 10 miles and around 1400 ft of climbing. If you want some cardio workout, this is your place IMO. There is nothing really technical about it, its just a great trail.
    What's the ID check situation like there these days?

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    If you really hammer that section and pump the rollers it actually has some good flow...right up until the point where you reach the Flow Killer: that 90 degree, uphill, off-camber hairpin that's absolutely impossible to maintain any sort of momentum through. You know the one, about 3 walls and a few turns before the SOB junction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Castigador View Post
    If you really hammer that section and pump the rollers it actually has some good flow...right up until the point where you reach the Flow Killer: that 90 degree, uphill, off-camber hairpin that's absolutely impossible to maintain any sort of momentum through. You know the one, about 3 walls and a few turns before the SOB junction.
    That entire section should be renamed Buzz Killington on all maps.

mtbr member
    I'm in total agreement with the last post. I'm bracing for what the "improvements" to the Black Trail will bring. It's the best trail in the immediate area, but it's more of a great cardio workout than anything else. Most of the remaining technical features will probably be smoothed out, I'm guessing.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Apparently there is a Specialized bikes demo day at Fountainhead this Saturday May 4th starting at 10am.

mtbr member

Fountainhead park

Just got back from a nice ride at FH. There is indeed an ongoing Specialized demo, lots of dudes having fun on some sweet demo bikes. Great conditions today- dirt is lovely, temps are warm but not too hot. If you're on the fence about FH, don't be- get on it!

mtbr member
    Just got back from this as well. Had a great time, and got to test the three bikes I was most interested in. Met some pretty cool folks too. Shame I didn't catch any of their names.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

mtbr member

Fountainhead park

Did anyone else see that white truck's back window explode today at around noon? Super weird- was talking with some guys in the lot when we heard the sounds of glass shattering, went and checked it out and saw a bunch of glass shattered outward but no one else was around. I have no idea what happened, certainly didn't seem like it was an attempted break in.

mtbr member

Fountainhead park

I've started to ride FH full loop on a regular basis recently. Let me know if anyone would like to join me. I'm in it for the fun first, then conditioning and the challenge. Riding solo gets a bit boring plus I learn more from riding with others.

I try to ride around 5:30 during the week and on weekend mornings around 11. Times may vary.

Cheers!

fountainheadproject.org
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but just wanted pass on that the first section of the new Black Loop redesign opened today. Pictures of the construction can be found here:

Flickr: myotherbrotherl's Photostream

and the Facebook page keeps things up to date if you do the FB thing.

https://www.facebook.com/thefountainheadproject
    Check Out: http://www.fountainheadproject.org/

Let us know what you think!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0