flat at the beach- Mtbr.com

Feb 2005

flat at the beach

Someone out there must know of some good trails without having to drive 40 miles to get to them. I just moved to va. bch from florida where i thought the trails would be a little more intense but it is not. people tell me to go to freedom park but i have not made it out there yet. how would that trail compare to trails like markham or razorback? If there is one down in va bch besides paved or somewhere you can take little itsy bitty babys please let me know.

May 2004
    there is not much in the va beach area...if your looking to take a kid or baby on there is a double track smooth trail at First landingstate park off of US-60(shore drive) or the other side at shore drive and 64th....if your looking for more there is a sigle track at hardwood's mill its off US17 and down a mile or so on route 620...its not much...i like beaverdam but its a drive to get there its up past Gloucester...i havent tried going south yet though....i cant wait to get back to Oregon...

mtbr member

Good News and Bad News

The good news is that there is a very technical place to ride MTB trails near you. The bad news is that it is indeed 40 miles from Va Beach. York River State Park is located 11 miles West of Williamsburg on I-64. They have a purpose-built technical MTB trail that is very challenging. Obviously no 2mi climbs (you're still in coastal VA) but, lots of very short intense rollers and very challenging singletrack. There are a total of 6 trails in the park. Here's a quote from and link to the site.

"There are six bicycle trails, some of which share use with equestrians and hikers. Two are exclusively mountain bike - a six mile single track mountain bike trail (Marl Ravine Trail), which is for advanced riders. Laurel Glen Trail is a 2-mile beginner/intermediate mountain bike trail. The half-mile Black Bear Run Trail connects the other two mountain bike trails." from: http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/yorkrive.htm

Call the guys @ Conte's bike shop and ask for other rides in your area. Also if you're in First Landing SP be very cautious about going off the main doubletrack trail -- there's some awesome singletrack trails there but they're VERY STRICTLY a NO BIKES area. I lived next to the park for years and used to run there a couple times/week and they regularly handed out $$ tickets to bikers who left the main trail (~3.5mi plus you can take the paved trail back W behind Shore drive for about another 1.5 mi)... That trail is pretty muddy when it rains. Basically my MTN bike collected dust when I lived there unless I was making a trip out of town...

If you're willing to drive 1.5 hours or so, there are fantastic trails near Fredericksburg @ Lodi Farm.
    Last edited by VTSEAL; 08-10-2005 at 10:48 AM. Reason: speleng

May 2004
    i was going to head to williamsburg this weekend just to mountain bike. i usually go to hardwood's mill or beaverdam and thought i would try somewhere else, so i was going to District park trail (aka freedom park) http://content.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...3_4585crx.aspx i wanted to see if thats any better than where i have been going, if its not all that great i may stop by the place you suggested and take a look. the place your describing sounds better than where i have been so far. if anyone else wants to come along ill be up there this Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

tell me about it...

I moved here 2 months ago from San Diego. Out there, I averaged 100 miles (all trail) a month. Out here...I think I have been on the mtn bike all of 5 times in 2 months. And, all of the trails in Williamsburg or near there are 6 miles or shorter. Don't know why. So, multiple laps are a must.

I have ridden Harwood Mill, York River (Marl Ravine), Freedom Park, and New Quarter Park.

Harwood Mill is hardly worth it unless there is an accident on 64 and it will take you forever and a day to get up to the other rides. York river seemed tough on me aerobic wise..since I am not exactly in good shape anymore. It wasn't "techincially tough" though. Lots of ups and downs. Reminded me of the slick rock ride in Moab with the constant up and down with hardly a chance to open it up on a long run.

I liked Freedom Park much better, though I didn't ride the whole thing due to my riding buddy breaking his thumb.

New Quarter is pretty cool, but could use a jump or two more. Get more of a chance to open it up there too.

I'll probably end up driving up to the williamsburg area once a week just to ride. Can't wait to leave this area, but have 3 more years to go.

Check out EVMA.org. Join them, and get in on the douthat trip in about 3 or 4 weeks. I am going to check with work tomorrow to see if I can get the time off.

May 2004
    yea i was stationed out in san diego a few years back...did "tour de julian" every year. also miss temecula area. i would drive out to my parents house on the 3 day weekends in pheonix so i could ride out in that area too...i miss the west coast...i would do that EVMA ride but ill be leaving to Oregon in the 1st week of sept and there is just too much to do...but i still make time on the weekends to go out to and ride. beaverdam isnt to bad(for around here) its about 20 miles there and back type of trail. its tons better than hardwoods' mill IMO, but still about the same....

Feb 2005

thanks

Thanks for the info. i think i will try freadom park first then the rest and see which ones i like. i just wish there was something closer to me but o well sheet happens. I guess there arnt any black diamond parts to any onf those trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mad mikey
    Thanks for the info. i think i will try freadom park first then the rest and see which ones i like. i just wish there was something closer to me but o well sheet happens. I guess there arnt any black diamond parts to any onf those trails?

Black Diamond? Surely you must be kidding

Seriously, there aren't. Most of the trails out here (from what I have found) are perfect for a 4" XC bike....or if you are truly nuts....a rigid single speed. There are a couple of jumps out a new quarter and some log rolls. EVMA is talking about adding a trials type section right at the begining/end that should be kind of fun.