Family mtb trip to va or wv- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Family mtb trip to va or wv

I am looking to take a family mtb vacation with my wife and 2 kids ages 7,9 we live in southeast pa. I want to find a place that we can ride 2-3 days and spend sometime doing other things. I know the terrain can be pretty gnarly, but probably looking for some more flowy stuff for my kids. Any suggestions

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Cacapon State park WVa. Just south of Berkeley Springs. Lots of new flow single tract trails that are very ridable. Great hiking too. Camp sites and cabins to rent. Fishing in lakes. Pretty solid.

The area around Canaan is also awesome. But the riding tends to be less flowy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Pocahontas St park. South side of Richmond Va. I think it has something like 50 miles of single track + another 20+ of gravel. All the flow trails you could ever want and some cool built features. The park also has a lake, a pool etc and you have access to all of Richmond's amenities, including white water rafting and a ton of breweries.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I read that harrisonburg is a good place to ride. Does it have decent beginner trails? I saw that there are 2 bike parks near there to

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Pocahantas is hard to beat for variety and family trails. Great flow and many that kids can ride (mine are 7 and 11). Also some old school rooty and tighter singletrack as well.

Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    I read that harrisonburg is a good place to ride. Does it have decent beginner trails? I saw that there are 2 bike parks near there to
    Harrisonburg is on the doorstep of the GWNF. There is great riding there, but I wouldn't call most of it beginner friendly. I haven't been, but I've heard great things about the bike park at Bryce resort. A buddy of mine took his girlfriend and she had a blast. Stokesville lodge (a little southwest of H'burg) has some flow trails around the camp ground that I have seen kids riding a bunch, and you have great access to the GWNF trails. It's a great place, but no where near the volume of beginner friendly stuff that Pocahontas has. There are also trails right in Richmond proper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jnashed View Post
    Cacapon State park WVa. Just south of Berkeley Springs. Lots of new flow single tract trails that are very ridable. Great hiking too. Camp sites and cabins to rent. Fishing in lakes. Pretty solid.

The area around Canaan is also awesome. But the riding tends to be less flowy.
    Is there a map of Cacapon State park MTB trails?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    I haven't been, but I've heard great things about the bike park at Bryce resort.
    Bryce is probably the best beginner riding in the area... Especially because they can catch a lift to the top!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    https://www.mtbproject.com/directory...ort-state-park

Here are the Cacapon trails on MTBproject. lots of new work and the lower newer trails (Get on Up, Start me up, and Boy scout) are perfect for beginners to intermediate riders. Most of the older trails (like Central/ and Ziler central)are set for moderate riders . the giddy up downhill is epic if you don't mind the long fireroad climb to get there.

Lot of solid trails though and plenty to do at the resort. Really beautiful piece of property and the state is investing a lot into it. And its free....

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Another option is Andy Guest State Park in Bentonville Virginia. Its south of Front Royal, VA. On the Shenadoah river. Camping available, canoe trips, great smallmouth bass fishing there. trails are fun, fast , and flowy too. Great family vacation. I go there with family every year myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I n Harrisonburg there is also Hillandale Park but some of that is littered with rock. As for GWNF, I wouldn't say it is beginner friendly. Same with Massanutten it is very technical. Pocahontas is probably the best bet.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Harrisonburg area is probably your best bet for a bit of everything. You can spend a day downtown and still hit up Hillandale Park which is has mile long loops of beginner and intermediate trails. You can go up to Massanutten Resort just out of town and ride the lifts, as well as hit up the waterpark, zipline or tube. Bryce Resort is a great intermediate bike park. Hardly any rocks and pretty much every trail is a flow trail. You can get to a ton of riding spots within an hour of Harrisonburg and the National Park as well.

https://mtbparks.com/Virginia/306-Ma...w-details.html

https://mtbparks.com/Virginia/287-Br...w-details.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Has anybody ridden in Davis WV? I saw they are having a mtb festival in June they advertise it as a family event

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CrLapp View Post
    Has anybody ridden in Davis WV? I saw they are having a mtb festival in June they advertise it as a family event
    Yes it's pretty fun out there. More on the technical side, but less climbing than the Harrisonburg area. The lower trails at Canaan Valley Institute and some of the trails in Blackwater Falls State Park (Dobbin House area in particular) would be good for families.

Davis is also a super cool town and I've heard it's a ton of fun during that festival. If you go make sure you get a Hellbender burrito!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Another area I forgot to mention before is Roanoke Va. They have Carvin's Cove which has a wonderful diversity of trails from super easy to super tech, flat to super steep. Roanoke is a pretty cool little town as well.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    Another area I forgot to mention before is Roanoke Va. They have Carvin's Cove which has a wonderful diversity of trails from super easy to super tech, flat to super steep. Roanoke is a pretty cool little town as well.
    Roanoke is the best! Carvin's is great, but even Mill Mountain just above town is really fun... And you get to pedal to the star!

I am the owl
    The Davis MTB festival is lots of fun. Low key with a good mix of stuff. Don't expect some big, mega fest with vans full of demo bikes. It is more old school vibe in a good way.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Look into Fayetteville WV. Variety of trails, many beginner at a place called Arrowhead. There are also tons of other activites such as zip lining, boating and rock climbing. Very scenic too. It's home to the New River Gorge National River.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Look into Fayetteville WV. Variety of trails, many beginner at a place called Arrowhead. There are also tons of other activites such as zip lining, boating and rock climbing. Very scenic too. It's home to the New River Gorge National River.
    I would second this area for the diversity of things to do and trails to ride. I actually really started riding MTB while I was in this area for training years ago. I would drive from Beaver to Fayetteville at least a couple times a week to ride, and would usually bring along some beginners as well. Lots to do in a cool little small town!