Fair Hill and WCC Conditions for Sat1/31- Mtbr.com
    AKA; Jimmy Tango

Fair Hill and WCC Conditions for Sat1/31

I live in Lancaster, and all week I have been checking the forecast for this weekend. Sunday looks like it will be a slop-fest, but saturday will have a high of 30 deg in Newark, DE. Do you locals think it will be ok on the trails sat? Are the trails tore up from recent weather? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!!
    Ben
    Lancaster, PA

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gop427
    I live in Lancaster, and all week I have been checking the forecast for this weekend. Sunday looks like it will be a slop-fest, but saturday will have a high of 30 deg in Newark, DE. Do you locals think it will be ok on the trails sat? Are the trails tore up from recent weather? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!!!
    Ben
    Lancaster, PA
    Hi of 30 F + sun = sloppy trails. You would need to be out early.

However, as of this morning, the trails were covered by 1/4" of consolidated ice on top of 1-2" of snow. Not ridable.

If the sun stays out and melts enough of the stuff, it MIGHT be ok for a couple of hours EARLY tomorrow, say 0700-1000 maybe. After that, the field sections get mushy w/sun and 30+degrees.

Also, several areas that are on north-facing slopes will still be icy.

I'll try to remember to look across the road at Middle Run tonight to see what has melted and post an update here. Lows are forecast for 18 F, so it will definitely freeze tonight. If the ice crust is gone, it might be ridable.

Please do not push the ride past the narrow window of frozen ground. The trails are really showing signs of the increased riding in thawed conditions by those who are pushing the ride too long into the late morning, early afternoon.

TSW

Rider and Wrench
    Troutboy has it nailed- if the ice melts off but the ground re-freezes you should have a few good early hours of riding- 10-11 am is pushing it most of the time-

If you have a map you can always follow the blue diamond trail- that way you can come either way... if you find the conditions too wet when you get there hit it instead of the single track- the blue diamond trail is mostly doubletrack and is recommended if you are out during wet weather.
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Not much melting today. Fields and woods behind my house are still ice-covered snow. In short, it's still a skating rink at Middle Run and probably also at Fair Hill.

TS

mtbr member
    SO getting any riding in Troutboy??? Come on up to Gambrill, it rides pretty well this time of year... oh ice, snow, wet..ahhhh no prob.... C-ya all soon.

Ed

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    Thanks for the feedback guys. We bailed on the notion of WCC or FH for this weekend. THere will be many other times

Members who have read this thread: 0