Evening rides in or near Roanoke, VA? Bike rentals?- Mtbr.com
    SSlow rider

Evening rides in or near Roanoke, VA? Bike rentals?

It looks like I'll be coming out to Roanoke for a work thing in early May & I'd like to see if I can get out and ride some trails after work at least once. Are there any trails near the north end of town? Also, are there any shops that rent bikes?

Souperbad
    Carvin's Cove is on the north side of Roanoke, it also happens to be the second largest municipal park in the country @ about 13,000 acres. Currently there are about 30-40 miles of singletrack ranging from beginner to advanced. If you need to rent a bike call Just the Right Gear, they are super friendly and can give you tons of advice on where to ride. Also get your lungs & legs ready as this place has some pretty tough climbs which are almost always rewarded with some sweet downhill runs. If you have more time there are more riding options here within an hour's drive than most places east of the Rockies.

SSlow rider
    Thanks, I'll be in classes from Tuesday through Thursday & free after 5:00pm each night. Are there any scheduled group rides that I can tag along with?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisdad View Post
    Thanks, I'll be in classes from Tuesday through Thursday & free after 5:00pm each night. Are there any scheduled group rides that I can tag along with?
    Check out Roanoke IMBA's FB page. Nothing scheduled at this point, but a good place to ask as the time gets closer.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

SSlow rider
    Thanks. I joined that page earlier this week. I'm looking forward to checking out the trails a Carvin's Cove. I've never ridden out east.

mtbr member
    If nothing else comes up you are more than welcome to tag along my Chicky Ride on Wednesday nights at 6pm. =) There are usually spouses, boyfriends, etc out there too that you could ride with. Most anyone will be glad to show you around or help you find your way.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Like BikerJen said, its pretty easy to hook up with someone to show you around. I was thinking there was a Thursday night group ride but it may not be going on anymore. We have a small group that hooks up on Mill Mountain on Monday nights, but I think you said you were later in the week. Just bump this post up a few days ahead of time or show up in the parking lot and look lost

SSlow rider
    Well, it looks like this trip will be a bust in regard to riding. It's awfully wet right now.

Members who have read this thread: 0