Emporia VA Area riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Emporia VA Area riding?

I might be heading to the Emporia VA area for work in the near future. Any decent riding options nearby to there that you guys know of?

From what I gather there is pretty good riding options around Richmond so I may pick my place to settle half way between Richmond & Emporia (if the riding options are sparse around Emporia itself).

Also please don't leave out any options to the south of Emporia. I don't mind finding a place in that direction (if it offers close riding options).

Thanks in advance!

John

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I keep seeing a sign south of there off 95 for a state park in NC called Metoc I beleive. Anyone ever check it out?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    thanks for offering that suggestion. I'll try to see what I can find about it.

also, I'll be heading down that way to visit the job site in the next week or so. Best trail system around Richmond? that Pocahontas looks like it has a lot of variety. I'll go down the day before, ride that day then do work stuff the next!

it's....
    Never rode there but Petersburg Battlefield Park supposedly has some CX trails.
    But it's only 15 minutes closer than Poca so may as well go there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I really like Pocahontas state park. Everytime I go there there are new trails being built. Did 23miles last time and didn't come close to riding it all.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm heading down on the 23rd of this month and am going to hit Pocahontas (cause it seems pretty close) so it's good to know that! thank you!

If it ends up working out and I'm moving that way I'll prolly find a place to live closer to Richmond than Emporia and deal with a commute, which is still wouldn't be much of a commute.

mtbr member
    Hey Man, you'd definitely be better off living north or south of Emporia. North of, you'll be closer to Richmond and Poca will be the closest thing for you. IF you go pre ride poca, park on the gravel lot on Courthouse road for access to all the new stuff like Blueberry and Bell. IF you download MTB Project, that area of their system is all the super fun stuff, the other side is great XC. The James River Park System down town in Richmond is fantastic as well, a lot more techy. We drive from Virginia Beach to ride both.

South of you would be Raleigh and there are some great systems down there as well. Crabtree Lake area has more than whats on the map with some great riding. I am sure there's a lot more to the south, but I just don't get down there often.

Unfortunately, you will have to drive to ride, but there is some great riding man. We are in the same boat here in the 757 area. Let us know if you run into any additional questions. I'd be glad to give you my number and chat.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Hey Man, you'd definitely be better off living north or south of Emporia. North of, you'll be closer to Richmond and Poca will be the closest thing for you. IF you go pre ride poca, park on the gravel lot on Courthouse road for access to all the new stuff like Blueberry and Bell. IF you download MTB Project, that area of their system is all the super fun stuff, the other side is great XC. The James River Park System down town in Richmond is fantastic as well, a lot more techy. We drive from Virginia Beach to ride both.

South of you would be Raleigh and there are some great systems down there as well. Crabtree Lake area has more than whats on the map with some great riding. I am sure there's a lot more to the south, but I just don't get down there often.

Unfortunately, you will have to drive to ride, but there is some great riding man. We are in the same boat here in the 757 area. Let us know if you run into any additional questions. I'd be glad to give you my number and chat.
    Thanks for all the info! PM'ing you now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    update: While I was in town for two days I ended up riding Pocahontas both days. I ended up on the smoother flowly stuff both times which was fun & you can def get a lot of miles there.

The trails are def well kept up & it looks like the MTB community there is really active with building new stuff.