East Fork Greenbrier River [East Fork Trail]- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

East Fork Greenbrier River [East Fork Trail]

Well it's been a month since we did this trail. It was part of a 3 day biking trip I did with my my buddy Randy.
    East Fork Trail is located in the Island MNF Campground about 10 miles north of Durbin on Route 28/250.
    I found the trail very challenging. Coming from a whimp like me that's not saying a lot. The trail follows an old railroad grade and supposed to be about 8 miles long. We went maybe 5 or 6 miles out and back. I gave up biking after about 3 miles and hiked for a couple of miles. My friend called me a gimp and he rode and I hiked...He never left my sight. It is remote, wild, and beautiful. The temps were in the upper 80's and it was very humid. Even though it is supposed to follow an old railroad grade, the trail frequently accends and decends the hillside. Probably due to years of flooding. Anyways, I'd go back again, Island Campground would be a fine place to stay, since it is right off Rt28, you may occasionaly here vehicles from the road.
    Here's a bunch of pics to give you an idea of what's back in there.

This was the last of 3 days.

We stayed in Locust Spring Rec Area about 5 miles north of Island Campground. You actually are in Virginia's Highland County when you stay at Locust Spring Talk about remote! A great place for a big group.
    More on that later.
    Last edited by WVKayaker; 10-18-2008 at 05:50 PM.

spooge is gone!
    WV-thanks for sharing the pix and details
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

Members who have read this thread: 0