Driving Through, looking to stop and ride.. where?- Mtbr.com
    Dude...

Driving Through, looking to stop and ride.. where?

Driving from NJ to Asheville, NC sometime next week and figured I might as well stop somewhere to ride my bike in West Virginia. Google told me to go down 81, so something near there would be sweet.. Also, is there a smarter route to take around the DC area? Here's what I have so far:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...8&t=h&z=7&om=1

Shenandoah seems like an obvious answer. Or Mt. Rogers

Anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks

One Gear
    Be careful going around the DC beltway (I-495). It's a complete cluster f'k at rush hour. Plan on hitting it around lunch or late at night. Rush hours are 6-10am and 2:30-6pm. The west side is the worst of the two.You could stop at Patapsco State Park on the south side of Baltimore to stay away from the rush.
    ?
    Can you pick up I-76 near Newark and take it across PA and down to 81?

Dude...
    I have relatives a bit further south in jersey, but maybe I could sneak around Philly on 76 (I think you meant 78) and hop on 81 there.. Traffic is depressing when your driving 700 miles in a day....

I am the owl
    How much stopping and riding are you planning on doing? Here's some options:

- Stokesville, VA. West of Harrisonburg, part of Shenandoah, great riding, many miles of trails.

- Elizabeth Furnace, VA. Right off of I-81 near Strasburg. Great technical riding.

- Gambrill State Park/Frederick Watershed in Frederick, MD - going up I-81, don't head towards DC via Rt 66, instead take 340 through Harpers Ferry, WV and straight into Frederick. You'll bypass that crazy traffic and get to ride a bunch of rocky trails. From there head east on I-70 towards Baltimore. You can get a quick hit of smoother, easier trails at the McKeldon section of Patapsco state park off of Marriottesville Rd. If you want the best this park has to offer you'll have to continue down Rt. 70 and backtrack a little towards Catonsville to hit the Avalon section of Patapsco that has more miles of trails and more tech stuff. Otherwise, head north on 695 and stop off near Towson and hit Loch Raven reservoir before continuing on to I-95. This will put you past the B-more traffic and you can keep rolling to Jersey.

Hope that made sense.

You can download some GPS routes for the Frederick Watershed and Eliz. Furnace here.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

I am the owl
    Just realize you are starting in Jersey, not going to it. Reverse the above directions and they'll make sense.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

www.justthebonnet.com
    Being a NJ transplant to VA, your easiest & prettiest drive will be I-78 west (if you are in North Jersey) to I-81 south. If you take I-95, like they say, FOUGETABOUTIT!!
    There is also Carvin's Cove exit 140 off 81 in VA that is a nice place to ride,right outside of Roanoke.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    ^ ^ ^

what he said, carvins cove is right off 81

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    Being a NJ transplant to VA, your easiest & prettiest drive will be I-78 west (if you are in North Jersey) to I-81 south. If you take I-95, like they say, FOUGETABOUTIT!!
    There is also Carvin's Cove exit 140 off 81 in VA that is a nice place to ride,right outside of Roanoke.
    Another NJ transplant, here. Like he said, don't mess with going down 95! 78 is a nice drive if you are near it.

You say you are coming from NJ, but the map shows a route from Hartford. If you are coming from there just go out 84 to 81 south. I've done this many times and despite the extra distance it is much less stressful and usually quicker as you avoid NYC, all of NJ (less time in NJ the better ), Philly, Baltimore, and DC.

I also highly recommend Carvin's Cove. It is just off 81 and they have been building some amazing trails out there over the past year, some of the best I've riden in VA, and unlike in the past, they are now actually marked (albeit with [email protected] new names)

Members who have read this thread: 0