Dragons Back Again (pic heavy)- Mtbr.com
    CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Dragons Back Again (pic heavy)

Last Sunday I decided to take a ride on Dragons Back. I parked at the bottom of Turkey Trail and rode the road up to Deer Trail. I think it is around 5 ˝ miles. They rebuilt the road last year and now it is covered with mini-boulders. I think eventually the mud will swallow them and it will make a good road base. Now it makes rough road ride.

Galax

New and improved Deer Trail. The Forest Service has actually done some trail work here. Brushed out, rebenched, water bars, switchback stabilization, and new signs. Somebody pinch me. Awesome.

This is a tough climb, but with the trail being clearer I was able to ride 75% of it – versus 25% in the past. No easy way to the top of this ridge.

The top at last. Now 5 miles or so of rocky ridge to past the Grouse trail to the Turkey Trail.

Leaves already complicating your lines.

’’

Top of Grouse Trail.

Dragon Scales

A little bit of slick rock

The top of Turkey Trail. I was getting a little worried. Took me a little longer than expected. Did I miss the trail? New sign here too. That was always a problem in the past. It was easy to miss the remains of the trail signs. Anyway, all downhill from here to the truck.

Some tecky stuff at the top of Turkey.

Then it opens up to a great downhill. Turkey is cleared out, but I didn’t see where any trail work has been done on it (benching, etc.). Some tricky root drops about midway down.

This place always beats me up, but I love riding here. Will probably wait until the leaves have been rained on or snowed on to go back up there. Much of this route is part of the XC race in April.

www.justthebonnet.com
    good to see they cleared the trails. I am hoping to go out there tomorrw at 11:00a.m. & ride up deer trail, ride north mountain trail (the ridgeline) all the way to the end of the mountain, then turn around & ride back to grouse, down the mtn to the parking area.

Was the gate open at the bottom of Wildlife rd off Rt 311??
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    Beautiful Pictures! What great looking riding...where is Dragons Back located?

Ed

mtbr member
    Great post and write up with awesome pics CCR!
    Your posts are always great fun to read.
    You and ODN really got it going!
    Thanks again!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Map

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Beautiful Pictures! What great looking riding...where is Dragons Back located?

Ed

Dragons Back is about 15 miles west of Salem, VA. Most people access it from the Wildlife Road which is off of Rt 311 between Catawba and New Castle. There is a parking lot with large stones on the edge at each trailhead - Deer, Grouse, and Turkey. You can also access it from the Dragons Tooth trailhead parking lot on Rt 311. It is on the opposite side of the road from the Dragons Tooth trail.

Wildlife Road was open Capt.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Get a ride in CApt.?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    good to see they cleared the trails. I am hoping to go out there tomorrw at 11:00a.m. & ride up deer trail, ride north mountain trail (the ridgeline) all the way to the end of the mountain, then turn around & ride back to grouse, down the mtn to the parking area.

Was the gate open at the bottom of Wildlife rd off Rt 311??

Were you able to get a ride in Capt?

www.justthebonnet.com
    We rode sunday 11/9. Parked at the Deer trailhead, rode (pushed is more like it) up Deer Trail to North Mountain Trail (ridgeline). We rode the ridgline passed Grouse trail, passed Turkey trail & stayed onto the barely maintained North Mountain Trail. There were so many leaves down that trying to stay on the trail was difficult given that the blaze paint on the trees is fading.
    The rocky terrain made it very interesting coupled with all the rocks.

The original goal was to ride all the way to the trail terminus at the end of North Mountain. We got 3.3 miles from the end but the group was beat & wanted to head back. I had a BikeBreath moment & had the crap literally beat out of me. Watch were you walk!!!

Total trip was 18 miles of pure rocky, up & down trail in a good foot of fresh fallen leaves.

VIDEO of yours truly rockin' the rocks. The video isn't sideways, thats just how steep the mountain is
    http://picasaweb.google.com/labratma...36865549132514
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Capt_phun; 11-12-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt_phun
    We rode sunday 11/9. Parked at the Deer trailhead, rode (pushed is more like it) up Deer Trail to North Mountain Trail (ridgeline). We rode the ridgline passed Grouse trail, passed Turkey trail & stayed onto the barely maintained North Mountain Trail. There were so many leaves down that trying to stay on the trail was difficult given that the blaze paint on the trees is fading.
    The rocky terrain made it very interesting coupled with all the rocks.

The original goal was to ride all the way to the trail terminus at the end of North Mountain. We got 3.3 miles from the end but the group was beat & wanted to head back. I had a BikeBreath moment & had the crap literally beat out of me. Watch were you walk!!!

Total trip was 18 miles of pure rocky, up & down trail in a good foot of fresh fallen leaves.

VIDEO of yours truly rockin' the rocks. The video isn't sideways, thats just how steep the mountain is
    http://picasaweb.google.com/labratma...36865549132514
    Nice pics and video Capt. Good ride down the "steps"- at least you stayed vertical. Is that on the stretch between Turkey Trail and Catawba Valley Trail? Looks like twice as many leaves as a week earlier. Tough Riding.

Because I am !
    Great post CCR. Haven't been on here much and I'm glad I took the time to
    look through the posts. Those trails look a bunch like Douthat. Guess that's
    the VA thing... Awesome pics also....

Hey, did no one else notice Capt_phun aboard a 29'er ? That's the first time
    I've seen a picture of the Capt without his superlight. Nice ride Capt., how
    you liking it so far ?

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    CCR,

how would you compare turkey trail to deer and grouse?

looking to get up there here after the hunters have had their fun..

mtbr member
    Great post! I would love to hit that area in the next couple weeks.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    CCR,

how would you compare turkey trail to deer and grouse?

looking to get up there here after the hunters have had their fun..

Matt I think Turkey is very similar to the other two, but a bit longer. Same kind of terrain and switchbacks. Just watch the 2 or 3 root drops about half way down. I walked those - by myself, afraid of an endo, and not wanting an emergency room visit. I'm afraid the leaves up there will make riding pretty treacherous on top til mother nature beats them down some.

ODN - I guess it is a VA thing. Dry, steep, and shaley like Douthat, but much more technical on top than Douthat. No mud like you have over there in WV. Must be that WV snowpack.

mtbr member
    Sweet pics, when is the race?
    Are you going to move or should I go for it?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

First sunday in April

Quote Originally Posted by chasinsquids
    Sweet pics, when is the race?
    Traditionally the first Sunday in April. I don't think NMan has any info on next years races yet. He is planning on having Dragons Back and Mountain Momma (Douthat) as far as I know.

www.mountainbikevirginia.com

Members who have read this thread: 0