mtbr member

downhill season is upon us (time to choose)

me and the wife usually go ride downhill somewhere every summer, im not sure where to go this year? narrowed down to Massanutten, Bryce, and Snowshoe. we went to bryce last year and enjoyed it. normally she sticks to the easy trails but i more enjoy a fast and flowy trail. im looking for some input from people who have been to these places.

we do rent bikes and gear and ive noticed Snowshoe is more expensive but is it worth it?

all of these are about the same 6.5 hr drive so thats not a factor

i spent most of my time on Brew Thru at bryce and like trails like that

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Depends what you're looking for.

Massanutten is more challenging than Bryce. I'm not sure what trails they've put in since I was there last. They had a jump line, tech line, and then another tech line up top. The lower section was flow, but not like Bryce.

Bryce is definitely fun and I like how you can connect different lines together. Definitely better for the flowy stuff than Massanutten IMO.

Snowshoe is one of the highest rated parks in the US. Lots of runs, and options for flow or tech. Honestly this was my favorite out of the 3 to ride. They've got more jump lines than Bryce and Massanutten. There's more tech than Massanutten as well.

Bryce and Massanutten are "smaller" parks in that you can get away with a trail bike there without much issue. Snowshoe you definitely want a bigger bike for. Snowshoe is definitely worth the money though. Runs are long and a lot of fun. Plenty there for you and your wife to have fun.

If you go multiple times, get a pass at MTBparks.com | Your Guide to Lift-Access Mountain Bike Parks in Canada and the US. About 4 lift tickets you've broken even on it, and depending on the park you get discounts on rentals.

mtbr member
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Massanutten is absolutely not worth a 6.5 hour drive. There's only 3 trails worth riding (the lower mountain is only really suitable for kids), and laps are so short, you'll spend at least 10 minutes on the lift for every minute you're riding.
    Caveat: 'nutt is pretty close to Bryce, I'm assuming if you're driving 6.5 hours you'll be spending the night, making a 2-park weekend might make sense.

Bryce is fun for flow, there's zero tech there (the one 10' artificial rock garden closed last year). 6.5 hours is a long, long drive for the 7 trails they have (one of which you probably won't ride more than once).

Snowshoe... is 1,000,000 times better than either of your other choices. It's one of the few bike parks on the east coast where you could spend a long weekend and not get bored. There's many more trails, all are worth riding (even the green). Plus the lifts are fast enough you'll actually spend time riding.

Re-reading your post... Shoe is way, way more tech than flow. There are some flowier trails, but even they have rocks. Most of the trails there are pretty technical.

as for the cost, I think it's worth it. A mtbparks.com pass takes some of the sting out (but only really worth it if you'll be visiting other parks).

Your profile says you're coming from TN; have you looked at Bailey, Windrock or Beech? Bailey is the only one I've been to, there's nothing I'd call beginner there, at least not like sundowner at bryce), but there are some fantastic flow/jump trails.

mtbr member
    yea ive been looking at Bailey but im not that confident my wife would have a good time, she rode sundowner at Bryce last year and was happy as a lark all day.

Ive been to Windrock and its extremely tech, i rode the blue trails and they felt like a constant 50% grade. plus i was on my trance too and its not made for that crap

mtbr member
    Update: went to snowshoe and me and the wife both had a hell of a time, so much so i know am buying two downhill bikes! It was expensive (4 bucks for a bottle of water and over 6 for a coors) and we stayed 3 nights and just rode one day. Was expecting a little more as far as stuff to do other than bike but really couldve just drove up one day then bike park then drove back home
    Trails were sweet though! I would call my wife a beginner but she handled skyline and dreamweaver really well!

A+ for bike park C minus for everything else