Down hill course at Kanawha State Forest- Mtbr.com
    magaw country
    Nov 2007

Down hill course at Kanawha State Forest

A buddy told me that, he heard, there is a downhill style trail hidden somewhere in Kanawha State Forest. Is there such a thing. I ride the forest a couple times a month and would like to find some of these trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea, Ranger John put in a drop trail a few yrs back. Won't tell you where it's at. Go ask him. He likes for people to check in w/ him before you go down it so that he can come and look for ya if you don't show up at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I saw the sign for this trail on my first visit to KSF in Nov of '06. The warning sign did mention informing the Ranger station of your ride plans. It was located down hill off Middle Ridge Road. When I last visited in Nov of '07 I didn't notice the sign. I do remember the first drop would give any rider reason to pause!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Be cautious before riding. For one, it is not an official trail. Second, I am under the impression that this trail is NOT being maintained any longer. The ranger who built the trail no longer works at KSF, and the trail exits behind the new rangers house (who may not even know about the trail).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    We found the sign/trail head yesterday. Its about a 1/2 mile before teaberry off the right of MIddle Ridge. It looked like it hadnt been ridden in a while.

Alright, let's ride!
    Yup, the trail head is at one of the two left hand bends towards the top of the climb, can't remember which.

Pisgah, when did Jon leave? I haven't heard anything about it.
    Don't bring me down..........

Dec 2004
    Hey Lowcel. Jon left a couple months ago. He's working for the DEP last I headr. Haven't heard anything about the current ranger or any changes he could possibly make at the forest.

Marathon Bicycle Company
    Jun 2006
    For those who are interested in the Freeride trail at the KSF I am sure that John even though no longer working with the park would be able to and more than happy to get some trail crew's going to referbish the trail. John built the trail by himself doing MANY hours of labor hauling tools and materials up that hill side. In its hay day it was a great local Freeride/downhill trail with quite a few good options. I had the pleasure of riding it a year or so ago with john and really enjoyed the ride. If anyone is interested reply back and I will get in touch with John and come spring we could make a day out of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0