Douthat pics.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Douthat pics.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Douthat pics.

I rode Douthat today. Rode both sides. It was pretty soft, but no too muddy. The only really bad parts were where they have done some work on the west side, mostly towards the bottom.

First pic is from the east ridge, towards the east, away from douthat.

The next two are the cabin at Tuscarora Overlook on the west ridge.

The last three are the view from the porch of the cabin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kapusta; 02-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice! I've got to get out there sometime!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Kapusta. I was out there Saturday. That view never ceases to amaze me and if I can work Tuscarora Overlook into a ride I will.

It was definitely soft on the newly rebuild sections, Locust Gap and the lower end of Stoney Run. The older trail sections were fine like you said. Top of Middle Mountain was wet - but luckily there is rock 1 inch down under the dirt. Funny - went up Salt Stump and it still kicked my butt. Maybe next time it won't hurt as bad.

Panaracer Rampage
    May 2008
    Did you see the widening of the trails for horses? Its suppose to be going on but I am not sure what the extent will be. Check out this link and read the first bulleted item.

http://www.virginiahorsecouncil.org/...e_20090107.pdf
    ThumbMonster!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    The main horse route through Douthat will be along Locust Gap Trail. It has already been widened. On the South end of the Park the horse trail comes in on Stoney Run between the top two creek crossings. It's already there and is pretty rough looking - I'm not sure if its finished. Stoney Run will be open to horses from that point on down to the paved road. That has already been widened also. It was quite soft last time I was there. From Locust Gap Trail to the North, I think horses will follow a route along lower Blue Suck Falls to Huff Trail and some access trails to the campground (B I think) at the north end of the park. Much of that has been done also, but not all of it. Somewhere in there it briefly hooks up with the lower end of Salt Stump trail and then exits the park. That exit trail has been built, but the route along Salt Stump is not finished.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy7101
    Did you see the widening of the trails for horses? Its suppose to be going on but I am not sure what the extent will be. Check out this link and read the first bulleted item.

http://www.virginiahorsecouncil.org/...e_20090107.pdf
    What first item?

Members who have read this thread: 0