Douthat July 1- Mtbr.com

Thread: Douthat July 1

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

New question here. Douthat July 1

Can anyone make some recommendations for Douthat this Sunday (JULY 1) ???
    I want to do a 4-5 hr hammerfest.
    Where is the technical stuff ?
    What trails should I hit ?

Anyone else want to join me for an early day, hard ride ???

Feb 2006
    4-5 hour hammer fest huh?

I highly suggest doing two laps on the outer perimeter.

stoney run > middle mtn. > salt stump > ross camp > mountain top (more tech) or mountain side (super fast) > brushy hollow > stoney run, etc.

Each laps sits roughly at 20 miles and has a great mix to push you hard and give some recovery zones. Great change ups in scenery and trail type as well. One of my absolute favorite loops in the state.
    Last edited by mud'n'sweat; 06-29-2007 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Douthat?

I'll be at douthat from the 5th til the 10th for mtnbiking mayhem.
    My favorite is up ross camp then onto mountainside and down brushy hollow.
    I really don't classify douthat as very technical campared to what i ride in the shenandoah valley but if you go up stoney run and come down blue suck you can get a rush,going up stoney run is not for wimps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What are the current trail conditions at Douthat ?
    We have had a bunch of rain down here in NC this week.

Feb 2006
    Except for a couple small sections, Douthat tends to drain extremely well. Watch out for the creek crossings though, they can get high if enough rain gets the ground water running. I live about 1 hour away, and the rain has been very mild here. I ride the same mountain range, just 40 miles north fairly often, and the trails are just fine right now.

Typically don't see much mud at all, even after a down pour. Just the typical slick roots and rocks.

Stoney Run has a section in the beginning where the trail has turned into a drainage stream during periods of rain. Best to hop off the bike to prevent further erosion in this area, or any other similar areas you run into. Otherwise the trails drain quick with the decomp mixture and no serious threat of erosion on the climbs and ridges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks m&s.
    I planned to ride Douthat in May but had to abort the mission after a sleepless night near Damascus. A non functional sleeping pad and howling coyotes made for a bad combo.
    The next few days look good weather-wise, so I might just head that way.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Thanks for the trail info guys. Overall I gotta say it was kinda beat though. Don't get me wrong the place is beautiful with the lake, campgrounds and views, but the mtbing is kinda boring. Just the same trail no matter where you went. Way too smooth for my liking but like I said the area is very very beautiful.

Feb 2006
    Yeah, it is really just fast and smooth mostly, but a good workout none the less.

You should hit up the Stokesville area if you are after more technical challenge. Just as beautiful as Douthat, but much more wild and remote feeling with more tech sections both on the climbs and DH sections.

Some good tech rides out there include Lookout Mtn., Little Bald, Bald Ridge > Dividing Ridge and some of Reddish. Also, Torrey Ridge in the big levels/sherando area has plenty of nasty tech rock gardens if you are savvy. Elizabeth Furnace has some good tech offerings as well.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Close to SML

For something close to Smith Mountain Lake you may want to do a ride from Day Creek Trailhead on the Glenwood Horse Trail. To the right from parking lot towards Bobletts Gap, I remember some pretty technical rocky riding back in there. It is right off of 460 between Bedford and Roanoke near Montvale. Pretty much an explorer type ride - not really well maintained / marked trail area, but not all that remote either. I usually ride on the West side of the Blue Ridge on that same trail. You may want to Google "Glenwood Horse Trail" and see if it interests you.

Members who have read this thread: 0