Did any of you race in the Black Bear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Did any of you race in the Black Bear?

Finally got my nerve up to enter the Black Bear race at Kanawha State Forest. That was the roughest 25 miles I've ever ridden. I'll be back next year!
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    Finally got my nerve up to enter the Black Bear race at Kanawha State Forest. That was the roughest 25 miles I've ever ridden. I'll be back next year!

I did it about 4 times before they switched the course all around. Was a great course but my understanding is that they've cut out over half of the technical trails in favor of the newer, less technical Middleridge trail. I know it still is a hard course w/ all the hill climbing. Did they have you guys go down Spectator Falls or route you guys around it? How you place?

mtbr member
    This was my first real race so my performance expectations weren't set too high. I had two goals before the race. One was to finish and the other was NOT to finish last. I managed to do both but that's about all I can say... LOL. The course started below the pool parking lot and led into the woods onto Davis Creek Trail then followed up the hollow and eventually down the trail to the pond where we went right towards the shooting range and up middle ridge road then followed parts of middle ridge trail until making a loop and then coming down Mossy Rock Trail. Then we followed the main road down towards the pool parking lot and the short course guys turned left back towards the pool. The course then went back down Davis Creek and back towards the shooting range except this time we bypassed Middle Ridge and went up Hoffman Hollow then down Black Bear (yes, we went down spectator fall, some harder than others... LOL) then we went up Pigeon Roost and around the ridge and went back down Wildcat and eventually down the upper part of Davis Creek to the pool parking lot...
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

Alright, let's ride!
    Unfortunately I had to miss it this year, I was out of town working. I did donate a case of salsa for door prizes though. Talked to Steve Marshall about it yesterday and helped him send the results in to WVMBA and iplayoutside.

I hated missing that race. Hopefully I will be able to do it next year.

Anyway, how did you finish? If you aren't sure I've got a copy of the results saved on my computer. I'm not sure when they will be up on the web site though.

Members who have read this thread: 0