Demo/Rent or Borrow Bike - Holidays in DC/VA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Demo/Rent or Borrow Bike - Holidays in DC/VA

I値l be splitting time in the DC/Maryland area as well as Richmond VA for the holidays . My hope is to revisit some of my old riding spots including Patapsco, Avalon, Schaeffer Farms and Pocahontas Park etc. I値l be bikeless so I知 looking to rent, demo or even borrow (paid of course) a bike while I知 in the area. That said, can anyone recommend a good shop to rent/demo or if you have a loaner I知 all ears.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    I値l be splitting time in the DC/Maryland area as well as Richmond VA for the holidays . My hope is to revisit some of my old riding spots including Patapsco, Avalon, Schaeffer Farms and Pocahontas Park etc. I値l be bikeless so I知 looking to rent, demo or even borrow (paid of course) a bike while I知 in the area. That said, can anyone recommend a good shop to rent/demo or if you have a loaner I知 all ears.

Thanks!
    What kind of bike are you looking for... xc, trail, all mtn, enduro??

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Honestly I値l take anything other than a full blown DH bike. I値l be doing mostly trail riding but I知 comfortable on anything from an XC hardtail to 6 Enduro bike (I ride quite a bit). For reference I currently ride and Evil Wreckoning paired with a Gravel Grinder for most duties here in the Pacific North West. Also based on the trails above (and what I remember about them) I'll be sticking to most trail/xc type stuff. Heck I'll even ride an old 26er if needed

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post

Thanks!
    The Bike Lane in Springfield has a decent rental fleet, Trek Fuel EXs and Niner RKTs:

https://thebikelane.com/about/mounta...ield-pg951.htm

mtbr member
    I checked with a few shops that I know over there but I dont think they do rentals. I'm to far away to be convenient for a bike to ride.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I can second Bike Lane -- rented a pretty nice Trek from them last year when I was back there over the holidays. Close to Fountainhead as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll check out Bike Lane for sure. Also I forgot about Fountainhead, remember great times night riding there back in the day. Will add that to my list. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Note about the trails right now. We are in a freeze/thaw so just check into the trails to see if they have a policy on that. I know Fountainhead shuts down for muddy trails, idk about freeze/thaw. Meadowood and Laurel Hill don't shutdown IIRC. Lake Fairfax never shuts down, but is a little further west past Tyson's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Germantown cycles used to have a few demo bikes. It's been years since I demod one but worth a shot.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Bike Doctor in Frederick has a demo fleet of Trek Fuel EXs... And then you can ride the goods at Gambrill/Watershed while you're up that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Bike Doctor in Frederick has a demo fleet of Trek Fuel EXs... And then you can ride the goods at Gambrill/Watershed while you're up that way.
    Have you ridden at Blackhills Park? When I worked there I would ride to work through their trail system. It was actually faster than driving there. Lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I think Cary town bikes in Richmond has a few specialized enduro u can rent. Not aware of any others in Richmond that do demos or rentals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MadPainterGrafx View Post
    Have you ridden at Blackhills Park? When I worked there I would ride to work through their trail system. It was actually faster than driving there. Lol

Yes, I have but I'm not seeing the connection... That's in Boyds, MD.

mtbr member
    Yes, I have but I'm not seeing the connection... That's in Boyds, MD.
    I saw you mentioned Fredrick I thought you was from the area and had ridden down there. I'm hoping to come up that way this spring to visit some friends and was wanting to get a few days of riding in. Only place I knew of was Blackhills.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I saw you mentioned Fredrick I thought you was from the area and had ridden down there. I'm hoping to come up that way this spring to visit some friends and was wanting to get a few days of riding in. Only place I knew of was Blackhills.

Ya I live in Frederick and have ridden Black Hills, but Black Hills isn't in Frederick. Montgomery County trails are VERY different from Frederick Watershed and Gambrill State Park trails.

mtbr member
    Ya I live in Frederick and have ridden Black Hills, but Black Hills isn't in Frederick. Montgomery County trails are VERY different from Frederick Watershed and Gambrill State Park trails.
    I knew it wasn't in Frederick. I've mentioned to others & they had never heard of it. Thanks for the reply. U

mtbr member
    I knew it wasn't in Frederick. I've mentioned to others & they had never heard of it. Thanks for the reply. U

Late to the thread. Carytown will rent you a demo Sp Camber for $100. Not sure what else they have. I suggest calling around.

Coqui is right at an entry to the James River park system and would be a convenient launching point.

Hi!
    Hi!
    Style: Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy