Delaware/ White Clay Riders- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

Delaware/ White Clay Riders

What style bike is everyone riding out on the trails - single speed, 29er , hardtail , rigid , fs ??? I'm looking into buying a bike and was considering a single speed but I'm not sure if it would be good for these trails. The low maintainence and weight are what interest me with the SS. I was riding out there last Sunday on a borrowed bike in strictly 32-17 and was making all the hills no problem. That is until I did a face plant on a log ride , busted my lip wide open and broke a tooth in half.Good news is my helmet didn't get a scratch on it. Anyway just wondering what you think is actually necessary for the trails out there so when I get done paying for my teeth I buy the right bike.

mtbr member
    To each his/her own but I think full sus gearies are just not needed on these trails.
    You'll see every type of bike out there but since my riding buds and I have switched to SS29ers we're riding much faster and cleaner and lovin it. 29ers really role nice round here man.
    And a good day to you sir!

Mar 2007
    Funny you say that because the two bikes I'm looking at are a 29r geared and a SS 26". I've only been out there on time and didn't see much need for gears myself.Probably save a boat load of money on replacement parts riding SS I'm guessing.

mtb remember
    I'd agree that a SS 29'er is the way to go if you're going to ride Middle Run exclusively. If you get to Fair Hill once in a while....1 x 9 is a good way to go. My little chicken legs just can't take that place without gears. Maybe you could skip the tooth and get both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    <------1x9 hardtail

Mar 2007

looking at Redline

Both the bikes i was looking at were 2007 leftovers form Ibex. I really didn't want all the gears on the 29" and after researching the SS's I figured I try to find something more than the 26". Started to look at the Monocogs and found this 1x9 , 29er.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/d660.html

Pretty close to what I would do if I built one up , so I'm going to give it a hard look.

mtb remember
    That's a pretty nice setup, as-is....and probably way less than what I spent to build a very similar bike. Lighten up that wheelset with a Stan's kit and you'll be all set. Napoleon would definitely approve.

mtbr member
    I agree that a SS is probably all most people need at White Clay, but are your intentions to ride exclusively at White Clay? or are you looking for a bike just for this place alone? I ride a full suspension bike in White Clay with no complaints. But I also ride the same bike everywhere from Vermont to North Carolina. I may not need all my gears at White Clay, but their nice to have at Brandywine and they are a lot more helpful if you ever leave the area to ride. I love riding at White Clay but you could probably have a really fun ride there even on a BMX bike. It' s once you ride elsewhere you'll find gears helpful. With all that said maybe your budget allows you to purchase more then one bike. If that's the case then I would say go for the SS and use the geared bike somewhere else. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Mar 2007
    I just started getting back into riding so I really don't no where it going to go. I don't anticipate traveling as far as the Carolina's , but you never know. I live closer to the Brandywine Valley and will probably venture out there next time I go out. The 1X9 probably makes the most sense , so I'm leaning that way. So far as budget goes mine doesn't really allow for even one bike much less two. Won't be the first time I spent money I didn't have. Thatnks to everyone for the feedback.

Never trust a fart
    I've ridden Middle Run, White Clay, Fair Hill. I've only used a hardtail 21 speed for them all.

Members who have read this thread: 0