Davis Vs Stokesville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Davis Vs Stokesville

Hey All,
    Coming down from Vermont for several days of spring riding come the third week of April. We’ve ridden Harrisonburg several times over the years including the SH100. Canaan/Davis has been on the radar for sometime, though maybe not a much since the Wilderness expansions shut down some of the backcountry trails. Anyway, we are planning on 3 days of 30ish mile loops. Is there enough in Davis for this type of riding or should be return to the Stokesville zone as I know there are plenty of miles and loops to explore down there. Thanks for the advice!

WillWorkForTrail
    Always go back to stokesville.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can't go wrong in Harrisonburg. So much more there.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Davis is great, but it can be hit or miss (weather-wise) in early April. However, with the OP being from Vermont, April in Davis may be nothing. Davis has great riding in the Valley and lots of varying accommodations available. Moreover, if you drive about an hour or so to the Seneca area, you've got North Fork and Spruce Knob hardcore trails. North Fork is a shuttle, unless you're a glutton for punishment.

At the risk of sounding cliché, the Snowshoe area is fantastic too. Great techy XC on the mountain with riding on Gauley/Tea Creek/Kennison mountains within an hour.

Both Davis and Snowshoe areas are technical and rocky. But weather can be a factor at either location, especially in April.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    If you are expanding to include Snowshoe, North Fork, Seneca area then Davis is worthwhile especially since it's new to you... But if you're talking about purely Davis area trails then Stokesville wins no contest.

Davis has very little elevation to work with since it's on a plateau. For some that's OK, but for me elevation is the name of the game.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    If you are expanding to include Snowshoe, North Fork, Seneca area then Davis is worthwhile especially since it's new to you... But if you're talking about purely Davis area trails then Stokesville wins no contest.

Davis has very little elevation to work with since it's on a plateau. For some that's OK, but for me elevation is the name of the game.
    You are correct about elevation, and I'm that way too. But Davis can beat the hell out of a rider. I've suffered through numerous Rattlesnake 50Ks to attest to that fact. Last summer I went on two absolutely killer Canaan rides with locals. It was really fantastic moss covered rock-techy bliss. But the trails were not marked.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    You are correct about elevation, and I'm that way too. But Davis can beat the hell out of a rider. I've suffered through numerous Rattlesnake 50Ks to attest to that fact. Last summer I went on two absolutely killer Canaan rides with locals. It was really fantastic moss covered rock-techy bliss. But the trails were not marked.
    No doubt there's great riding there... But Stokesville is known for its 1,000 plus foot descents and there's a ton of them, whereas I don't think Davis has anything near that so it's worth noting.