Damascus / Iron Mountain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Damascus / Iron Mountain

I'm looking for a good loop to ride in the 25-30 mile range. I've searched and found mention of bikeguy.net 's Bear Tree Epic but the site has been shut down. Can anyone tell me what this route follows? All suggestions welcomed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar View Post
    I'm looking for a good loop to ride in the 25-30 mile range. I've searched and found mention of bikeguy.net 's Bear Tree Epic but the site has been shut down. Can anyone tell me what this route follows? All suggestions welcomed.
    There are maps of the 100K race that is run in Damascus here: http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/h.../page_home.htm

You could easily do part of the race route. There a couple of bike shops mentioned on the page as well that should be helpful.

Barry
    Yeah well, that's just, ya' know, like, your opinion, man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have seen the maps for the 100k but of 62 miles what would be the best 25-30 mile loop?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Here's the basics of the Beartree Epic. Park at the Fisherman's parking lot at Beartree. Ride the road up to the Straight Branch trail and take it over to Rt600. Take a left on Rt600 and after you cross over the hill you'll see FR80 (or maybe its FR84) turn right. Follow that until you hit the intersection of Old 84 Trail and Jerry's Creek. Take Old 84 and follow it to Rowlands Creek. From there take the road to Barton's Gap. After Barton's Gap hang a right on FR84 and follow it until you see the Iron Mtn Trail on your left. Locals will call this trail Skulls Gap. At the bottom of Skulls gap you'll cross Rt600 to stay on the Iron Mtn Trail (IMT). Follow it back toward Beartree. There is one tricky turn to watch for that will turn left. Follow the IMT until you get to Shaw's Gap and turn left and then a quick right to decend the Beartree Gap trail to near the Fisherman's Parking lot.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. Looking for a short loop

I'm looking for a short loop that I can do after work. Around 8 - 9 miles. Suggestions?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcurider View Post
    I'm looking for a short loop that I can do after work. Around 8 - 9 miles. Suggestions?
    Leaving from Damascus, head up the Creeper trail, up Beech Grove, hang a left on Iron Mtn Trail, follow IMT all the way down Mock Holler to town.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcurider View Post
    When I get out to Damascus I like to ride from the fishermans parking lot to the back of the campground. Take Lum up to the Iron Mountain trail. Ride three miles to beartree and back down to the parking lot. Maybe 10 or 11 miles.