Cranky Monkey- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cranky Monkey

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Cranky Monkey

Anyone have any info on the races this year? Can't find anything online for 2017.

psycho cyclo addict
    No info posted yet...

FYI- SCORE acquired The Cranky Monkey from EX2Adventures in the Fall of 2014. You can check for updates on the SCORE web site.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yup. Was hopeful that someone had heard something through the grapevine regarding dates - trying to put together the calendar for the year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    No info posted yet...

FYI- SCORE acquired The Cranky Monkey from EX2Adventures in the Fall of 2014. You can check for updates on the SCORE web site.
    I don't have a Facebook account myself, but I usually visit SCORE's Facebook page several times a week checking for updates, but suddenly it's gone. Here's the address I've been using: https://www.facebook.com/racescore.org

mtbr member
    Haha.... I guess that I'm not the only one constantly checking for the CM dates. I've been told that EX2 doesn't plan to redo their two XC races from last year. REV3 also may not be able to do races at Willowsford anymore, and this spring they have only two xc races (third one being a 6hr plus endurance race). We are potentially looking at 3-6 less xc races this year in dc area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT
    '20 Yeti SB100

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Oh - this is not good! I had checked all the web pages and FB. The email listed on the SCORE page got sent to someone who no longer works for SCORE (she did tell me that there were changes happening within the organization). I messaged the FB page but it appears that the page has since been shut down.

This makes me sad. I think we have great venues around the DMV and thought that the Cranky Series was outstanding (and close to home). Guess not enough folks shared that opinion.

Might be a topic for a different thread - but what are you all racing this Spring/Summer? The EX2 tri out at Rocky Gap is the only race officially on the schedule for me. I am registered for the Michaux MTB camp and thinking about HIlly Billy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gswim18 View Post
    Anyone have any info on the races this year? Can't find anything online for 2017.
    i have also been constantly checking the site for the races. they were also great fun. there are hardly any races left in maryland areat to do. they longer do the Greenbrier race, now if they take these away that will just suck. the EX2 group always did great work. just wish there was more races out towards the weatern maryland area

mtbr member

Cranky Monkey

If its any consolation, the recent MORE board minutes indicate that the moco epic date has been set for 10/7-8 and that there was some discussion about restarting NOVA epic. I might signup for the 65 miler as my first endurance race....uhh i mean ride. Lol.

'16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT
    '20 Yeti SB100

mtbr member
    My info may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Cranky Monkey is now dead. The decision was made a few months back. Dude that took it over from MORE via EX2 may have been more interested in $$ than supporting the local scene. He moved out of the area and killed Cranky Monkey because it wasn't paying him enough and/or it was too much hassle for too little $$.

I don't have direct knowledge but heard from someone more directly involved. He upped the reg fees which made many upset. He didn't even consider rain dates for events which upset a lot of people.

Cranky Monkey used to be a great event series when Jim ran it. He really cared about the events. We raced (and won) almost all of them in 2-person and 3-person over the years and we were always happy to support Jim and his amazing volunteers (Scud, Laura, Dan to name a few).

If I were you all, I would consider going further afield for events. Close is nice but our local trails get plenty of use. Consider heading out for the events listed on mtntouring.com. Chris puts on some amazing events in places where you might not normally go.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

psycho cyclo addict
    Thanks for the info. Very sad news- Jim did a heck of a job with the CM events and the amazing volunteers made them even better.

Sometimes it is best to leave things alone.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Gravel bike w/ MTB tires
    Rigid steel SS 29er
    Rigid titanium SS 27.5
    Full suspension 29er
    Hard Tail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Trailbildr - sounds like you have the scoop and your narrative makes sense to me. Having a young family a major appeal of the CM Series was location but I do agree with you that our trails do see a lot of traffic and I love checking out new riding locations. I will take a look at the Mtn. Touring page.

-Kris

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    wow that sucks about the cranky series...had a lot of fun on those course last year. What about greenbrier and a race to qualify for XC nats? any rumours on that. I really want to race that snowshoe course but i think you have to qualify for it and greenbrier used to be the only close race from DC.
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    I'm hoping that REV3 guys and Jim H change their minds and do some/more xc races.

It just occurred to me that there might be no races at Schaeffer or Rosaryville this year at all!?!?

I guess we'll see.

'16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT
    '20 Yeti SB100

mtbr member
    Typically, there were not events at Rosey and Schaeffer. They were largely ignored because they got so much traffic already. They weren't built for passing, it's hard to outline a racecourse on trails that aren't closeable, not enough parking at Schaeffer, etc.

If you want to race mtn bikes, I say head to the mountains! The river valley trails we have around here are amazing to be sure but they ain't mountains!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    while i agree on rosey in terms of passing the last few races there have had ample parking (yes you cant park right next to the venue..but it works) and schaefer has good passing opps you just need to know where they pop up (corn/soy fields). Rosey spreads riders out quick and people are generally cool enough to pull over when you yell track or "when ya get a chance"
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Without getting into any details(first hand knowledge) , the CM races are not going to happen this year. The race that was on Quantico is now being replaced with a ride which can be found here.

About

As for the other races in the local area, Im not sure.