Coming from NC...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Coming from NC...

I'll be in Roanoke and looking to ride long on Dec 15th, prefer to start in the morning, would like to get 4-5 hrs, moderate pace. Are there enough trails in Carvins Cove to do that?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Easy for me to get in that much

Its pretty easy for me to get that much and more in, but I ride fairly slow. 2 loops I can think of (get a map at Just the Right Gear or off internet).

Loop 1.
    Parking Lot at Bennet Springs to Hi-Dee-Hoe, left on Brushy Mountain at top to Gauntlet, Down Gauntlet to bottom, right on creekside trail to Trough to top of Brushy, left ( I think) to Buck and right on Hoe(tel) at bottom and back to lot. That loop is pretty gnarly stuff with lots of aroboticing (2 -1000 foot or better climbs).

Loop 2. Parking lot at Bennet Springs to Hi-Dee-Hoe. To top of Brushy, take left to Hemlock Tunnel, take right on Hemlock Tunnel (very gnarly & steep for a ways). Take left on Fire Road to Comet. Take Comet to Happy Valley Road; Right to Songbird ->Happy Valley left ->Arrowhead. Again this brings you back on Happy Valley for left for a couple of miles to Schoolhouse. Schoolhouse back to Enchanted Forest to Comet, right to Brushy to 4 Gorges trail to parking lot.

On that second loop, lots of people skip the climb and just go up Hi-Dee-Hoe to 4 Gorges and over to Songbird and beyond. Lots of options, depending on your energy level. If I had to pick one loop, I would do the 2nd. Or do the first loop, and skip the climb up Hi-Dee-Hoe to the mountain top and just do the trails on the lake.

New IMBA type stuff that is really cool is 4 Gorges, Schoolhouse, and Songbird. (4 Gorges is not on the map yet).

Gnarly Stuff - Gauntlett, Hemlock Tunnel, Buck, and Comet.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    I'll be in Roanoke and looking to ride long on Dec 15th, prefer to start in the morning, would like to get 4-5 hrs, moderate pace. Are there enough trails in Carvins Cove to do that?
    Here is a link to a map of Carvins Cove

http://www.roanokeva.gov/85256A8D006...CGRCH869VGREEN

Most people I know who ride Carvin's cove tend to refer to it in two sections (with varying terminology): The "upper trails" and the "lower trails".

The upper trails would be the loop described by CraigCreekRider as Loop #1 There is roughly 1200' ridge that runs parallel to the road you drive in on. if you look on a map you can see that Gauntlet and Trough come off one side, and Buck (better known as Buck's Rut) and Hi-Dee-Ho coming down the other. Brushy Mountain Trail (very commonly known as "1000 Foot Climb") is a long fire road that makes it easier to get up to the ridge (and then follows it). The most common way I know people to do the upper loop is basically as CraigCreekRider described, with a common variation being to skip the Hi-Dee-Ho climb by taking Brushy Mnt Tr all the way from the bottom. You can get to the bottom of Brushy Mountian either by following the paved road to the end where it hits the very bottom of Brushy Mountiain, or start taking Hi-Dee-Ho up but take a left on 4-Gorges which hits Brushy Mt Tr near the bottom. If you do this loop via the Brushy Mt Tr climb it is about 13 miles with something like 2200' of climbing.

The lower trails are fairly easy, but quite fun and there is a real variety of trails and scenery, from the IMBA type smooth swoopy trails to trails that were never intended for bikes and can be technical in a few places. There is not much climbing anywhere. My favorite way to do these is in a counterclockwise loop: Songbird > Arrowhead >left on Happy Valley (a gravel road for a mile or so) > Schoolhouse > Little Bell > Enchanted Forest > Left on Tuck-A-Way > right on Comet. I think this is in the neighborhood of 10 easy miles.

If you want to get 4-5 hours in, I'd do the lower trails loop, which leaves you near the bottom of Brushy Mt Tr and then climb up the ridge and do the upper loop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Explore Park??

are the mtn bike trails open there? Is anyone riding this Saturday?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    are the mtn bike trails open there? Is anyone riding this Saturday?
    If I ride anywhere it would be at carvins cove, but with a high of 38 and a 70% chance of rain and sleet I'll probably be home sipping cocoa. If it stops snowing/sleeting on Sunday I'll see how I feel about riding in the mud with a high of 40 (it could happen).

Seems like you are hitting the area on a bad weekend.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Park shut down - trails still open I think

Good Question. As far as I know the trails will remain open for now. After March, when the developer has to commit / or not commit to developing the property who knows. They shut the living history park down 2 weeks or so ago. I am guessing there is a gate somewhere on the way in and you may have to park and ride in. Anyone know the scoop on parking there now?

Saturday forecast Light wintry mix; high of 38F. Could be tough riding. I may try to ride Mill Mountain tomorrow after work; forecast tomorrow is Sunny and high of 55F.
    Go figure it was 74 degrees here yesterday. Got a great ride in last night in shorts and t-shirt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Great Ride

I had a great ride at Carvin's Cove on Saturday, details and pics on my blog.

Thanks for the info,

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I had a great ride at Carvin's Cove on Saturday, details and pics on my blog.

Thanks for the info,
    Up Jacob's drop..... right on!

Sounds like a good ride. I wish you could have seen more of the place instead of retracing, but it leaves some of the best stuff for your next trip.

EDIT: Did you park at the boat docks or at the bennet spring parking lot?

Members who have read this thread: 0