Clarksburg, WV- Mtbr.com

Thread: Clarksburg, WV

mtbr member

Clarksburg, WV

Anyone here ride Clarksburg, WV, surrounding areas, or North Central WV such as Valley Falls, Cooper's Rock, or Big Bear? Places in Morgantown?

mtbr member
    Ride Cooper's quite often.

mtbr member
    Do you live in WV? How often do you ride Cooper's Rock? How advanced is it?

mtbr member
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's varied terrain from a beginner/intermediate trail to full on rocktechgnar, go to Wamsley cycles and buy the trail map, it's quite excellent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Go to Wattersmith State Park...Near Lost Creek, few miles south of Clarksburg

Very challenging trail system here. Also, check out promountainoutfitters.com they are a local bike shop w tons of knowledge on where u can ride.

mtbr member
    If your up for a 45 minute drive West on US RT 50, try North Bend State Park. Well maintained, approx 18 miles of singletrack. Drive another 10 minutes to Mountwood Park. Super fast, well maintained and approx 25 miles of trails. Search the web, a few good maps of both parks.

mtbr member
    Mountwood is home for me. Very good trails with good markings and very well maintained. North bend has gotten alot better in the past few years. Both are fun and not too advanced.

If you are looking for a group ride there is one at mountwood every wed. at 6pm. meet at the marina, no man left behind!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Watters Smith State Park. Stop by Pike Street Bikes in Shinnston for a trail map and other info on all of the local areas to ride.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pike-...19906564746057

mtbr member
    I really wish i had someone to go with because I'm not that advanced yet!! Actually, I wrecked twice Thursday evening at Watters Smith because I couldn't get out of my clips fast enough. I ride Crank Brothers Egg Beaters and I used to getting out of them, but it still isn't second nature!! Can anyone here ride with me on some trails and show me some tips??

mtbr member
    WOW!!!! I live in Clarksburg, WV, and had NO IDEA we had a bike shop 6 MILES AWAY in Bridgeport in promountainoutfitters.com!!!! There's also pikestreetbikeswv.com in Shinnston that I just recently found out about!!!! GEEEEZZZZ!!! I really need to get my head out my you know what!!!!!

mtbr member
    haha...after seeing all the trails and shops in the area, I wish I still lived in Clarksburg. I lived there back in 1997-99 and really liked the area. I'd move back up there if I could find a job in the area. I live in mountain bike purgatory and it sucks.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    jrymasz, if your willing to head west to Mountwood Park, I would be glad to show you around. I could ride any evening of the week. Our normal group ride is Wed @ 6:00 sharp

mtbr member
    rsb201,

I can't usually make weeknights...I live in Clarksburg but I work in Morgantown, so it would have to generally be a Saturday or a Sunday!!! Right now, I'm working on getting my endurance, wind, and my legs back into biking shape. I'm a pretty heavy guy, so I'd need you to be patient with me. Do you think you could also give me some pointers on mountain biking skills?

mtbr member
    Be glad too, but seat time is the best thing for that. Once your endurance gets better, your skills should improve as well. You can start concentrating on picking the right lines, body position and so on because you will be much more focused. Drop me a pm

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to come up that way, I'd love to hit Big Bear, even Coopers Rock. Maybe a Sunday ride can be put together sometime soon.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Like a BOSS
    I recently rode up at White Park in Morgantown and thought it was great! It seemed a bit short, but I'm not sure if we hit all the trails since it was getting dark out. I can't wait to go back!
    Adam Christopher
    Strava
    Instagram
    YouTube

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you live in Clarksburg, don't forget Lil Moes in Philippi. Super close to everything in Philippi (the hospital is RIGHT THERE) and a great trail. If you FB you may want to join the WVMBA page and reach out to the members to ride. Riding some of the series as a beginner is a great way to meet other people to ride with and learn the trails.

mtbr member
    Just raced those trails in philippi a few weeks ago. Super fun trails with alot of cool sections. The bit down buy the river is a great warm up/ cool down section!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I raced it too. Kicked my ass hard, but then again I wasn't prepared to race, it was my first. Even so, they were great trails and I hope to make it down there again when I am in better shape so I can enjoy them more.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I ride watters smith, Philippi, and valley falls on a near weekly basis. It's a shame there aren't any organized group rides (minus Philippi) around this area. But I can't really do group rides b/c I work nights and have to usually start my riding by 4pm. Groups usually start at 6. I can show you around any of the local spots and give some pointers when needed. But as said earlier no advice can beat time in the saddle. Also me and a few guys i work with ride Friday mornings right after work. Usually coopers, big bear, white park and ohiopyle.

mtbr member
    smtfsc,

What about weekends? Are you able to ride in the daytimes on weekends?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have rode WhitePark in Morgantown. It is small, but it is pretty fun. Coopers Rock is one of my favorite places to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I can usually ride weekends if I am not racing on Sunday.

mtbr member
    smtfsc,

Drop me a PM dude!!

Bassmaster
    Jul 2012
    Im a beginner too and would like to participate in some group rides. Let me know if you get something put together. my schedule is flexible but it fluctuates week to week...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just rode Watters Smith yesterday morning (solo) and would definitely like to get with a group to ride! Sent a couple of you a PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0