Check your valuable at KSF...- Mtbr.com
    Not sure what to type?

Check your valuable at KSF...

Channel 8 in Charleston had a segment last night about cars being broken into at the Kanawha State Forest. At least 8 in the last few days. Be sure not to leave any valuables in your vehicle and especially not your wallet or purse. They've been stealing and using peoples credit cards. They have the two doing it on some store survailence cameras so hopefully they will catch them soon.
    They interviewed a mountain biker at the park, can't remember his name though.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

Alright, let's ride!
    Unfortunately that has been going on for over a year now. I'm glad they finally have some idea about who is doing it.

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Unfortunately that has been going on for over a year now. I'm glad they finally have some idea about who is doing it.
    If you're reading this and considering plundering cars... be warned... they're running sting operations down there.

Baisically, the thing to do is park your car in an area where there are not tons of cars (front of the forest and the pond) but not out by itself... you want it in an area people but not cars frequent (cars attract thieves). The real suggestion is to leave the valuables at home... or lock them up in your car, well out of sight. The cell phone... leave it at home, you're not going to get service anywhere below the mountains. Take the iPod with you... makes grinding Middle Ridge easier, and LOCK the car. Still can't believe people are leaving their cars unlocked.

The employees are doing the best they can, and they do have several leads, but it's quite a drive from one end of the forest to the other... and naps in the office are included in the job description... so just don't be dumb. Use city survival skills, people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
    Channel 8 in Charleston had a segment last night about cars being broken into at the Kanawha State Forest. At least 8 in the last few days. Be sure not to leave any valuables in your vehicle and especially not your wallet or purse. They've been stealing and using peoples credit cards. They have the two doing it on some store survailence cameras so hopefully they will catch them soon.
    They interviewed a mountain biker at the park, can't remember his name though.

Well, that just sucks! I'm not surprised though. I've hread of break in's there before but in all the yrs I've ridden there nothing has ever happened to my ride. I park at the pool. I've gotten in the habit of taking my wallet and phone w/ me on rides here so I don't have a problem. Have come back from a couple rides at Patapsco and seen someone one their phones w/ police with broken glass by their cars.

Lowcel, don't know when I'll make it back there for a ride, but I'm hoping no later than Nov and we'll be able to break in that switchblade!

Alright, let's ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Well, that just sucks! I'm not surprised though. I've hread of break in's there before but in all the yrs I've ridden there nothing has ever happened to my ride. I park at the pool. I've gotten in the habit of taking my wallet and phone w/ me on rides here so I don't have a problem. Have come back from a couple rides at Patapsco and seen someone one their phones w/ police with broken glass by their cars.

Lowcel, don't know when I'll make it back there for a ride, but I'm hoping no later than Nov and we'll be able to break in that switchblade!
    November would be awesome as long as it is not the 18th - 20th. I'll be working that weekend. I'm definately looking forward to seeing the new bike. I guess on this particular ride I had better ride the full suspension, may help me keep you within eye sight most of the ride. I've been spending most of my time at the forest on the hardtail lately. Making myself learn how to ride and pick out lines again. It's amazing how much you slack off riding a fully.

Just so ya know, had another great ride at the forest last night. Middle to Teaberry then back to the parking lot. Then met up with some people and did the beginning of the race course. Up middle, the middle ridge trails then down mossy and out davis. I had ridden hard the prior two days so called it a day after that. Trail conditions are a little too dry but other than that they are perfect.

For what it's worth I always park at the parking lot on the left across from the rest rooms towards the beginning of the forest. I've never had a problem (knock on wood). I just half a$$ hide everything and have dark windows.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    November would be awesome as long as it is not the 18th - 20th. I'll be working that weekend. I'm definately looking forward to seeing the new bike. I guess on this particular ride I had better ride the full suspension, may help me keep you within eye sight most of the ride. I've been spending most of my time at the forest on the hardtail lately. Making myself learn how to ride and pick out lines again. It's amazing how much you slack off riding a fully.
    Don't worry I DO plan to show it off to ya. If you're REALLY nice to me I'll even let you touch it! I know what you mean about the hardtail. I don't plan to ditch the GT. I'm going to strip her down, repaint and rebuild it. A few new parts and all. Sometime this winter. A guy in my shop who races just got a hardtail and LOVES it. Said he was amazed how much faster he was.

Just so ya know, had another great ride at the forest last night. Middle to Teaberry then back to the parking lot. Then met up with some people and did the beginning of the race course. Up middle, the middle ridge trails then down mossy and out davis. I had ridden hard the prior two days so called it a day after that. Trail conditions are a little too dry but other than that they are perfect.
    *in a low, sarcastic voice* I hate you, you do know that right?

For what it's worth I always park at the parking lot on the left across from the rest rooms towards the beginning of the forest. I've never had a problem (knock on wood). I just half a$$ hide everything and have dark windows.

Same here. NEVER had a problem with my car there. Sorry to hear that it's starting to become this way. Hope they catch those bastards!

I'll let you know when I plan to be in the area and am looking forward to the ride!
    Last edited by crashedandburned; 08-23-2005 at 11:50 AM.

Jul 2004
    I'm still very fond of the 'Middle Ridge Tour' when I go riding... you can pour on the mileage.

Start at the front, ride up Middle Ridge, ride every segment of Middle Ridge Trail, including the new piece from Teaberry, then, debate how much I value my life at this point, and either drop Black Bear, or never touch the brakes down Hoffman, which is more of a trail than a road (un-drivable, unless your car can make it up over the huge root and rock drop halfway down).

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by pipedream
    ...and LOCK the car. Still can't believe people are leaving their cars unlocked.
    I guess in a more urbanized area, this may make sense. Just like when I lived in the city we used one of those "Club" things on the steering wheel. They don't stop a thief, but may make another's vehicle an easier target. If a thief wants in, he's coming in, so why add a broken window to the problem? Just leave nothing of value in there. A couple of NRA or "I HEART my Glock Pistol" stickers may help as well. I've actually ridden away for several hours to come back and find that I actually had left my door wide open, how stupid is that?? Nope, nothing gone. It hasn't started here yet, but I know it will. The police are already busting up meth labs, so you know the break-ins are right around the corner. Things will get interesting then, as damn near everyone in Pocahontas County carries. I hope I'm wrong about this, but it seems the natural progression. Maybe after a couple of meth-heads get their brains splattered in a parking lot it will come to an end, but let's face it, these addicts aren't your run of the mill geniuses. We may have to shoot them ALL.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    I guess in a more urbanized area, this may make sense. Just like when I lived in the city we used one of those "Club" things on the steering wheel. They don't stop a thief, but may make another's vehicle an easier target. If a thief wants in, he's coming in, so why add a broken window to the problem? Just leave nothing of value in there. A couple of NRA or "I HEART my Glock Pistol" stickers may help as well. I've actually ridden away for several hours to come back and find that I actually had left my door wide open, how stupid is that?? Nope, nothing gone. It hasn't started here yet, but I know it will. The police are already busting up meth labs, so you know the break-ins are right around the corner. Things will get interesting then, as damn near everyone in Pocahontas County carries. I hope I'm wrong about this, but it seems the natural progression. Maybe after a couple of meth-heads get their brains splattered in a parking lot it will come to an end, but let's face it, these addicts aren't your run of the mill geniuses. We may have to shoot them ALL.
    Didn't WV pass one of them thar "no more than 3 boxes" of sudafed laws?

the unvarnished nonsense
    Didn't WV pass one of them thar "no more than 3 boxes" of sudafed laws?
    Perhaps, but this is Pocahontas County...they're still fighting about whether or not we're in the Confederacy or not. Without a doubt, the most lawless part of the United States of America. Crime is damn near non-existant though....'cuz everyone knows whats gonna happen to them if'n they cross the line. There's a reason I carry a shovel and a 50 pound bag of lime in both of my trucks. Never know when you may have to get rid of something in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Davis consider yourself lucky to live in a area where people will shoot the robbers. Not just get victimized and call teh police. Then chicken out on testifying, but then again in maryland it wouldn't matter because the judicial system here simply gives them probation for the first dozen or so offenses. Just a rant about Maryland, sorry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jm03
    Davis consider yourself lucky to live in a area where people will shoot the robbers. Not just get victimized and call teh police. Then chicken out on testifying, but then again in maryland it wouldn't matter because the judicial system here simply gives them probation for the first dozen or so offenses. Just a rant about Maryland, sorry
    Hey there, haven't seen you on the board for awhile now. I'm guessing you're a full LE now. Conngrats.

I agree w/ ya on defending oneself and wish Maryland had "right-to-carry" law. hell, I feel the need for it here than I did in Charleston. There was a bike by shooting the other week just down the street. Rode by after work and saw the yellow tape and a few LE's around. Found out what it was later. Also two sex offenders here in my neighborhood and God knows how many other crimes every day here. My boss got rob in his front yard while cutting grass a few months ago.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Park at the lot by the superintendent's house. The spaces closest to his bridge are reserved, but the spaces closer to the road are open to the public.

If you can't/won't park there, take all the valuables out of your car and leave 'em at home. Then you can leave your doors unlocked and not have to deal w/ something broken when you get back.

the unvarnished nonsense

I do...

I just wish that my concealed carry permit from WV reciprocated in more states, especially those in which I regularly travel; VA, MD and PA. So, JM03, when you see me speeding just let me go so we don't have to spend an hour going over the whole "...do you have any guns in the vehicle?" thing. I'll save us all the time right now. Yes. Two Glock Model 19 9mm semi-automatic pistols. Both are loaded with high capacity (15 round) magazines filled with hollow point .115 grain bullets and each has another round in the chamber. There's two more similarly filled magazines in the glove box.

If you have any further questions I'd ask you to re-read the Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights of the United States of America. If I'm not mistaken, WV, VA, MD and PA are ALL in the United States of America and should ALL allow me to exercise my Second Amendment rights. But, I'll gladly pay you for the speeding ticket.

There. That ought to bring out the anti-handgun pansies.

BTW, CrashedandBurned sported the best bumper sticker at the '04 Shuffle:
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject." (or was it the other way around?) Either way, I believe it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    BTW, CrashedandBurned sported the best bumper sticker at the '04 Shuffle:"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject." (or was it the other way around?) Either way, I believe it.
    Yup. Something like that. I believe the exact working is " A man w/ a gun is a citizen: A man w/out a gun is a subject" I've had people come up to me in store parking lots and trailheads and tell me how true that is.

Unfortionally I now live in one of the most gun restrictive states on the east coast if not in the US. Were I live now I do feel more of a need to carry here than elsewhere. There's a liquor store right down the street and a guy on bike rode by and shot the owner. Stuff happens here all the time. Luckily though the neighborhood I live in is a good one, but alot of this stuff happens just a mile down the road. I never really felt the need to carry back home even w/ the ccw I had, but I do feel the need here. I have thought about applying for a ccw here, but I figure my chances are too slim to waste my time and money to be told no.

There's been a big fight in DC lately to repeal the gun ban there. Don't think it'll happen though.
    Last edited by crashedandburned; 08-27-2005 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Maryland would be even scarier with a right to carry law. Then people would stop using there cars as rams and just start shooting eachother on I - 95. I never picked you for a NRA fan davis but i don't disagree with you. Anyway where are you living now crashandburn.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maryland would be even scarier with a right to carry law. Then people would stop using there cars as rams and just start shooting eachother on I - 95.

As much as I believe every law biding person has a right to a ccw, I can't but help to agree w/ ya on that one. People can't even drive right around here. Passing @ 80 mph on the shoulder, cut off's etc....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyway where are you living now crashandburn.
    I live close to waldorf area. So the nearest good place for me to ride is patapsco. Rosreville isn't too bad for an after work spin. neither is wakefield.

The invite to show you around the Gambirls loop is still open if you're interested.

I never picked you for a NRA fan davis but i don't disagree with you.
    You kidding me? ya have to show proof of membership to live in WV!

the unvarnished nonsense

Getting OT, but ust to clarify....

I never picked you for a NRA fan davis but i don't disagree with you.
    I'm not an NRA fan or member. As they say there are two sides to every coin, and I'm a Libra, so I always see both sides and sit on the fence. My main issues with the NRA are these:

Pro: Many of the NRA sayings are true. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." Totally true. Criminals will always possess firearms, so its only natural that law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves with equal force. "Guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people." True. Guns make it easier, but a human being makes the conscious decision to pull the trigger and kill. The majority of guns are never used illegally because the majority of guns are owned by law abiding citizens. Cain killed Abel, and I doubt he used a gun. It's not the gun, it's the criminal that causes the crime. Beer and/or liquor don't cause the DUI, the drunk that makes the irresponsible decision to drink and drive kill the innocent victims. The problem is that our current legal system and media lead us to believe that there is always someone else to blame for a person's actions instead of holding that person liable for thier actions. When a majority of our society was raging against alcohol, our leaders started Prohibition. That worked out pretty well. Absolutley nobody that wanted to drink ceased to drink, alcohol actually became more risky as it was now being produced with God knows what measures, and criminals reaped the profits of Prohibition. I know we won't agree on this next statement, but this is why guns should remain legal and marijuana should be decriminalized.

Against: The Second Amendment. Let's think about this one. Our founders wrote a great piece of work and called it the Constitution. Then they wrote another one, the "Bill of Rights". "Amendment". In almost no time flat, they realized that nothing is perfect and from time to time we need to amend things. Look at that Second Amendment. It begins, "In lieu of a well regulated militia....". OK, but now we have well regulated militias. Local, county and state police forces. The world's most powerful armed forces. We don't need to muster citizens to fight red coats anymore. Perhaps things have changed enough and the arguement could be made that we now possess well regulated militias and its time to amend that Second Amendment. Additionally, the NRA fights for anything to prevent sliding down that so called "slippery slope". Come on, no citizen needs to be allowed to possess an anti-personnel assault rifle. Hunting with an AK? Give me a break. See what that nut in Wisconsin or Minnesota did last year at that deer camp incident? Although many criminals do possess them, and now were back to "When guns are outlawed....".

Sheesh, I could flip-flop over this one all day. All I know now is this. It's legal for us to own, carry, and use our semi-autos for personal protection, and being that my wife and I have both been threatened by various individuals, we will continue to own, carry, and (God willing it never comes to this), USE them if necessary.

When it comes to actually hunting, I prefer archery. Much more sporting, in my opinion.

So there isn't really an NRA sticker on either of my trucks, but I *DO* love my Glocks. They make the best handguns in the world, period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not an NRA fan or member. As they say there are two sides to every coin, and I'm a Libra, so I always see both sides and sit on the fence. My main issues with the NRA are these:

Pro: Many of the NRA sayings are true. "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." Totally true. Criminals will always possess firearms, so its only natural that law abiding citizens should have the right to protect themselves with equal force. "Guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people." True. Guns make it easier, but a human being makes the conscious decision to pull the trigger and kill. The majority of guns are never used illegally because the majority of guns are owned by law abiding citizens. Cain killed Abel, and I doubt he used a gun. It's not the gun, it's the criminal that causes the crime. Beer and/or liquor don't cause the DUI, the drunk that makes the irresponsible decision to drink and drive kill the innocent victims. The problem is that our current legal system and media lead us to believe that there is always someone else to blame for a person's actions instead of holding that person liable for thier actions. When a majority of our society was raging against alcohol, our leaders started Prohibition. That worked out pretty well. Absolutley nobody that wanted to drink ceased to drink, alcohol actually became more risky as it was now being produced with God knows what measures, and criminals reaped the profits of Prohibition. I know we won't agree on this next statement, but this is why guns should remain legal and marijuana should be decriminalized.

Against: The Second Amendment. Let's think about this one. Our founders wrote a great piece of work and called it the Constitution. Then they wrote another one, the "Bill of Rights". "Amendment". In almost no time flat, they realized that nothing is perfect and from time to time we need to amend things. Look at that Second Amendment. It begins, "In lieu of a well regulated militia....". OK, but now we have well regulated militias. Local, county and state police forces. The world's most powerful armed forces. We don't need to muster citizens to fight red coats anymore. Perhaps things have changed enough and the arguement could be made that we now possess well regulated militias and its time to amend that Second Amendment. Additionally, the NRA fights for anything to prevent sliding down that so called "slippery slope". Come on, no citizen needs to be allowed to possess an anti-personnel assault rifle. Hunting with an AK? Give me a break. See what that nut in Wisconsin or Minnesota did last year at that deer camp incident? Although many criminals do possess them, and now were back to "When guns are outlawed....".

Sheesh, I could flip-flop over this one all day. All I know now is this. It's legal for us to own, carry, and use our semi-autos for personal protection, and being that my wife and I have both been threatened by various individuals, we will continue to own, carry, and (God willing it never comes to this), USE them if necessary.

When it comes to actually hunting, I prefer archery. Much more sporting, in my opinion.

So there isn't really an NRA sticker on either of my trucks, but I *DO* love my Glocks. They make the best handguns in the world, period.
    While I can see alot of your points and like you I can also flip-flop on this issue just want to point out a couple things that I'm sure you already know.

Yes the 2nd admendment does state the militia clause, BUT also states that the right of the INDIVIDUAL shall not be infinged. As far as milita's go, what defines a Milita? Does it HAVE to be state or fed gov run? I think the Founders intended for the average joe to form their own militias. No, I'm not part of one. One reason I beleive this because the Constitution gives people of the US he LEGAL right to revolt and set up a new government in the form of the constitution if they feel the current gov has become corrupt, not following the law, whatever. I know I read it in there somewhere, but I don't remember where. Anyway's How could that happen if the average joe doesn't have the means to?

Now, as far as "needed" as full auto or what ever.....again I can flip flop. Do I "need" a $4000+ Titus Switchblade? Do I "need" 2 computers in my home?, Do I "need" different hunting rifles? Do you Davis "need" that HUGH tent you've got? While I do feel we are VERY wastefull in this country, we can't restrict someone from owning something based on "need" Else most people would live in doublewides driving Yugo's.

Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member

strange brew for sure...

I saw something really strange last Saturday evening out there. I parked at the small lot below the damn. Two guys pulled in beside me and got out and checked out my bike as I was putting my shoes on then they walked across the foot bridge that goes over to the Davis Creek Trail. These guys didn't look like your typical walkers. They had on jeans, black t-shirts (one had a few tattoos) and both were smoking. By the time I got on my bike and headed down the main road and up towards Middle Ridge Road I saw them coming out of the woods just below the gate at Middle Ridge. There was a car parked at the gate also. It might have been nothing but it looked kinda suspicious to me.
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    I saw something really strange last Saturday evening out there. I parked at the small lot below the damn. Two guys pulled in beside me and got out and checked out my bike as I was putting my shoes on then they walked across the foot bridge that goes over to the Davis Creek Trail. These guys didn't look like your typical walkers. They had on jeans, black t-shirts (one had a few tattoos) and both were smoking. By the time I got on my bike and headed down the main road and up towards Middle Ridge Road I saw them coming out of the woods just below the gate at Middle Ridge. There was a car parked at the gate also. It might have been nothing but it looked kinda suspicious to me.
    Nothing happened to your car I'm assuming. I think I would've got to the top there on hill going to MR where they couldn't see me and watched them for a few.

the unvarnished nonsense

Now, as far as "needed" as full auto or what ever.....again I can flip flop. Do I "need" a $4000+ Titus Switchblade?
    I had two answers for this one, pick whichever you think more appropriate:
    A: You may not, but I do.
    B: Perhaps not, but you're not going to kill 18 hikers with the Switchblade in a McDonald's after a bad ride.

Do you Davis "need" that HUGH tent you've got?
    Yes, I do, thank you for asking.

I guess my main beef with the NRA is some of their logic, but in my heart of hearts and in my head I know this: There will always be guns in the society that we call the United States of America. The genie's out of the bottle and there's no way its going back in. I love my Glocks. I think "gun control" means a tight grouping at 30 feet. God bless America!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=davis]I guess my main beef with the NRA is some of their logic, but in my heart of hearts and in my head I know this: There will always be guns in the society that we call the United States of America. The genie's out of the bottle and there's no way its going back in. I love my Glocks. I think "gun control" means a tight grouping at 30 feet. God bless America! [ /QUOTE]

I Hear ya buddy. I never did beleive in following lock-step w/ something. I personally don't have a problem w/ background checks as long as they as instant checks. I don't agree w/ a waiting period. Sort of have mixed feelings about # of guns per month. I mean, your average joe doesn't have alot of cash for buying alot of guns at once and people generally don't buy one or two a month. Hell, I've only bought 3 handguns in my life. A .22, Stallard 9mm, and a Ruger P-90 .45 ACP. I don't see why a person would want or "need" to buy more. But then who the he!! is the Gov. to tell me how many I can buy a month as long as I'm not hurting anyone and obeying the law?

the unvarnished nonsense

urban vs. rural

I guess alot of my confliction of the issues is due to the fact that I have lived in major cities and I currently live in B.F.E., WV. In an urban environment, guns, especially HANDguns, are seen only as weapons to injure/kill/threaten innocents with. In a rural environment, they're seen pretty much as tools, not unlike a shovel or a prybar. Kids are exposed to them at an early age, learn how to handle them properly, and respect them. One thing's for sure: When everyone has a gun (or many guns) in the house, and everyone knows this, break-ins are few and far between.

I will never move to a state where I would not be able to carry a sidearm now. Heck, I had to get a permit to carry concealed, and just found out that its legal to *openly* carry. What a waste of $35!!! I prefer everyone know that I carry. As Clint Eastwood once said in a movie, "...a kind word and a gun will get you a lot further than just a kind word..."

I guess maybe I'm a hypocrite, too. I disagree with the current administration letting the assault ban retire without being renewed, but as soon as it did, I went out and bought 4 high capacity clips. Now that I've totally hijacked this thread, its time for me to bow out. If this had taken place on "Passion" it would have moved to the political board in about 2.3 seconds after I posted the comment about shooting meth-users. Thank goodness for the regional forums, and their obviously sensible moderators....