Charlottesville Riding Scene- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Charlottesville Riding Scene

Wanted to throw this out there, and get any feedback possilbe. The company I work for is pursuing a project in Charlottesville, VA. They have a good chance of getting it, and if so will be looking at staffing it - it would probably be about a 2 year deal. I was thinking about showing interest in it, but wanted to get a sense of what the area is like - as far as MTB'ing is concerned, since biking is my main recreational activity - try to ride every weekend during summer/fall.

I'm residing in central WI right now, and have lived in the St. Louis area as well as mid-coast Maine - so I've seen some diversity.

What I'd like to know is what if any trails exist in a 2hr. drive radius, and what types of trails are out there. I prefer a good mix, leaning more towards tight technical stuff. I see Charlottesville is in/near a 'mountainous' area. I've never really ridden in that type of topography, so that would be cool. I've only read about that type of riding.

Thanks for any information.

I throw poo
    I live in Waynesboro, and work in C-ville, there is more riding than you can shake a stick at in a 2 hour drive radius. Alot of the riding is very rocky/ technical, but there is some of everything. Try http://www.cambc.org and
    http://www.shenandoahmountainbikeclub.com/ those are two of the local mtb clubs. I think that's a good start.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

featherweight clydesdale
    Check out the MTBR trail reviews for: (Walnut Creek, O'hill, Panorama 0-15 min), (Sherando 30-45 min), (Douthat 2 hours), anything near Harrisonburg(1hour), or anything in (Richmond 1hour).

CAMBC has weekly ride night rides and people are constantly getting together for various rides. Good mtb and road scene.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. guys. Nice to know what's up in that area of the country. I checked some of the sites out - definitely some good trails in reasonable drive distance.

Like I said, just doing a little research for future possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider
    Thanks for the info. guys. Nice to know what's up in that area of the country. I checked some of the sites out - definitely some good trails in reasonable drive distance.

Like I said, just doing a little research for future possibilities.

I'm only passing through C-ville for law school, but I wish i could stay longer.

The local scene is strong. There is an active local club and plenty of places to ride - from O-hill, which is right in town and good for hard after-work rides, to Walnut Creek, which has lots of great technical and open singletrack, to Sherando. The latter two are 15 and 30 minutes from town, respecitvely. As others mentioned, there are more great trails within a two-hour radius.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I grew up 50 minutes from C'ville, and I currently attend UVA... so I'm pretty familiar with the trails in the area... All the above trails mentioned are pretty good, and there also is the Rivanna Trail--kinda encircles the city--so you obviously have a few hike a bike sections and road crossings--all together it's not that bad. There's tons of other trails in the area that not many people are familiar with, especially the trails looping around STAB and the old folks home behind it.

So yea, there are plenty of trails in the area...
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Members who have read this thread: 0