charlotsville bike shops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

charlotsville bike shops

Hello can anyone give me some recommendations on a high end Mt. bike shop in Charlotsville area. Would like to hear about nice big shops with a great service dept and lots of floor space.

Ride hard!

I throw poo
    Do you have a brand preferance? How far afield do you want to know about?
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

no brand prefernce

Quote Originally Posted by lovemonkey
    Do you have a brand preferance? How far afield do you want to know about?
    I just want to find a nice shop that carries a wide variety of bikes from xc to dh. Big would be great.

Thanks

May 2005
    bought my wifes bike at bike factory on zan rd. small place, nice guys though. mostly fisher/trek
    also ive shopped at the performance (almost right next to bike factory) and you can catch some good deals there. last time iw as there they had giant, iron horse, gt, and some other stuff.
    id like to find a more free ride/dh/urban oriented shop in the area myself.

also there is supposed to be a big place in waynesboro calle cycle-recycle

I throw poo
    Quote Originally Posted by redstar
    bought my wifes bike at bike factory on zan rd. small place, nice guys though. mostly fisher/trek
    also ive shopped at the performance (almost right next to bike factory) and you can catch some good deals there. last time iw as there they had giant, iron horse, gt, and some other stuff.
    id like to find a more free ride/dh/urban oriented shop in the area myself.

also there is supposed to be a big place in waynesboro calle cycle-recycle

The guys at Performance (C-ville) are helpful, but don't know very much. IMHO the best place for cloathing.

Cycle-Recycle (W-boro) is HUGE, claims to be the largest in North America. They carry a lot of stuff, but I don't know about their service dep't. I think it's pretty bad, but the bike selection for mid-range and lower can't be beat.

Rockfish Gap Outfitters (W-boro) is very friendly, and reasonably wise, but small. They carry Gary Fisher, Trek, and Redline. They also carry a full range of other outdoor gear, like a tiny independent Rei.

Extreme Sports (C-ville) is friendly, but I haven't tested their knowlege. They carry Cannondale, Specialized, and some other road bike brands that I don't remember.

That's about all I know, hope it tells you what you need.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Rockfish Gap is great, but as lovemonkey said...small.

I think Extreme Sports (I believe they've changed the name to C'ville Bike & Tri) would best fit what you're looking for. fairly large with higher end stuff. don't know about the service. seems like a good shop.

personally, i like Performance. but i do most of my own wrenching so the service dept. is not really a factor, i will say i had them cut a steer tube and install a star nut on a fork and was not impressed with the work. Paul is the man there though, he knows what he's talking about.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I've had some service done at Extreme Sports (headset and fork install) and the folks there are pretty nice. They're expanding their shop right now I believe, as it wasn't exceptionally large before.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Feb 2006
    I guess whoever said the guys at performance didn't know their stuff, has yet to speak to Paul Bushey. Great guy and an even better rider, definitely the best rider in the state. I use performance and Rockfish. Jackson at Rockfish is a great guy and knows his ****. Just a smaller shop as mentioned. Cycle Recycle is a freakin' joke. Worse service you will EVER find. The waste of space stoners there don't have a clue, althought something tells me their eyes might actually light up if you ask them for a purple velour low rider bannana seat.

Aug 2004
    Also consider Blue Wheel in the downtown area. I don't know anything about their knowledge or skills, but they do cover a few brands. Fisher, Seven, etc.

Extreme Sports techs do know their stuff, and will typically go out of their way to help. I've bought a road bike from them, and had a few service jobs done, and always felt I was treated fairly. If you want high-end, they have a $7000 (gulp) Enduro in stock. Cannondale, Specialized, Rocky Mtn, Orbea, etc.

Paul at Performance does indeed know his stuff, but I can't really speak for the other employees. Nice guys all, though. Rocky Mtn, Iron Horse, Jamis, etc.

Bike Factory guys are extremely nice and easy to deal with, especially Chris (sp?). I've never taken any service work there, but I did buy an SC there and felt like I got a fabulous deal. Trek, Santa Cruz, Lemond, Tomac, etc.

BTW, you will RARELY see a DH or FR bike at any of the local shops mentioned above. Maybe the odd SGS or Switch at Performance, but that's about it. The best shop I know of is 2 hrs away: The Pedal Shop in Sterling, VA. They typically have Mtn Cycles & Banshees in stock, and know their business. Fun to talk to as well.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Here's an update to this thread...

Extreme Sports has changed names to C'ville Bike & Tri. However, still same great people (very knowledgable, and like said above, they will do alot to help you) and their store is undergoing an expansion.

Blue Wheel is moving away from the University Corner area... I saw an ad about that in Blue Ridge Outdoors just the other day. If I'm not mistaken, they are moving someplace that is actually closer to the downtown C'ville.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    I guess whoever said the guys at performance didn't know their stuff, has yet to speak to Paul Bushey. Great guy and an even better rider, definitely the best rider in the state. I use performance and Rockfish. Jackson at Rockfish is a great guy and knows his ****. Just a smaller shop as mentioned. Cycle Recycle is a freakin' joke. Worse service you will EVER find. The waste of space stoners there don't have a clue, althought something tells me their eyes might actually light up if you ask them for a purple velour low rider bannana seat.
    Paul is indeed the man. I believe his last name is spelled Buschi, for whatever that's worth. anyway, he's always been real helpful to me and generous with advice and he's even loaned me a tool or two at times. very good dude.

and Cycle Recycle is indeed a joke. i didn't mention it before because like the saying goes "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". but since you brought it up! yeah, it's ridiculous. totally disorganized w/ nonexistent customer service...i go in there every now and then in the hopes that it will have improved but it never does. it's a shame, when their dad was alive and healthy it was a great store. had a good wrench named RL that worked there too. i used to buy skateboard stuff there all the time when i was in my teens. but his kids have really run it into the ground. i can't believe the place is still around. and i would NEVER trust them to do any work on any wheeled device...bicycles, tricycles, huffys, baby strollers, wheeled luggage...no way no how.

but if you happen to find yourself in Waynesboro, do yourself a favor, skip Cycle Recycle and stop by Ciro's Pizza in Willow Oak Plaza (or Shopping Center or whatever it is). best NY-style pizza in the mid-atlantic.

Dec 2003

Your best bet for C'ville....

...is definitely C'ville bike and Tri (formerly Extreme). They're friendly and knowledgable, though more knowledgable on the roadbike side of things. I purchase just about everything through them except clothing.

Performance actually has the best service in town and they will always do a price match (something Extreme/C'ville won't always do for you) but they are mostly useful for tubes, powerbars, socks etc. etc. And yes, Paul Buschi is a great guy, though he's a little too [practical when it comes to bike parts ( he's always telling me to go with LX cranks for my Ventana. They're ugly. stop it, Paul!!)

Bluewheel? well I've known Scott for a while and he's a good guy. His partner, however, is a punk so I don't deal with them anymore.

Bike Factory? Probably the worst reputation of the lot. I haven't been there in years so perhaps things have changed....somehow I doubt that, though....

Quote Originally Posted by freeridingfreddy
    Hello can anyone give me some recommendations on a high end Mt. bike shop in Charlotsville area. Would like to hear about nice big shops with a great service dept and lots of floor space.

Ride hard!

Mar 2006
    I have had great experience with The Bike Factory. Got a great deal on my bike there and they have taken great care of me - super deal on my Yakima rack on nice discounts on gear.

Feb 2006
    You know dawg, on your recommendation, I gave BF another try after the first crummy experience, and the second time was even worse. I was TRYING to buy a saddle from them, and the guy told me he'd be able to ring me up in "about 15 minutes or so". The guy was putting together a freakin' kiddie trike. Trifflin' I tell you! Who wouldn't want to make a quick $80 saddle sale at a LBS?

Mar 2006
    Sorry to hear that.

Here is a suggestion, though. Next time, wear your lycra shorts.

Feb 2006
    I know there is not too much to protect, but maybe if you wore a little padding you wouldn't have to use the "narrow urethra" excuse with Suzie.

Mar 2006
    See . . . . . that't the thing. I don't wear padding. You thought that was my chamois, but it wasn't.

And I really don't want to know what a narrow urethra is.

Members who have read this thread: 0