Charleston WV or Roenoke Va- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Charleston WV or Roenoke Va

I am curious to which town has better quality trails with minimal drive time, better yet ride to from downtown as well as 1-3 hour weekend get aways. I love singletrack with climbing, great flow and more epic the better. What do you think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think you can go wrong w/ Charleston. Kanawha Forest is a Great place to ride! I was there camping 2 weekends ago. Just MHO.

Feb 2006
    Having lived in Roanoke myself, I'm not a huge fan. I hear there is more single track starting to show up, but the city itself has a crummy vibe to it. I haven't ridden around Charleston, but have heard great things and you certainly won't get that 'noke vibe there.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Charston vs Roanoke

I moved to Roanoke June 1st 2007 from Seattle Washington. In Seattle I was a member of a 800+ mountain bike club that rode trails from Whistler to Moab Utah. I can't honestly say that CC is better than Whistler or Moab but I can say that the single track at Carvins Cove is as good as half the trails I had in the PNW.

Granted, there are no epic rides at CC but there seems to be 20+ miles of sweet single track that flows exceptionally well. The Roanoke Parks Department have placed signs at most intersections basicly eliminating the need for a map. I have had a ball exploring these trails and bombing down trails like the Comet or Hi-De-Hoe. If you haven't ridden there give it a try, I think you're going to like it.
    Mean Gene Rides Again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    Having lived in Roanoke myself, I'm not a huge fan. I hear there is more single track starting to show up, but the city itself has a crummy vibe to it. I haven't ridden around Charleston, but have heard great things and you certainly won't get that 'noke vibe there.
    Whats with the vibe in 'noke?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    Right on, looks like a killer time ridin in the woods. Thanks a bunch and I'll have to check it out, looks great to me!

mtbr member
    Beats me. I haven't heard of it.
    Mean Gene Rides Again!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Good Riding in Roanoke

I have to put my plug in for the Noke. Nothing against Charlestown area at all, but Roanoke is where I work and ride. Carvins Cove is about 15 minutes from town with Iím guessing somewhere around 30 miles of very nice singletrack (never seen a firm milage number on the trails there). Trails around the lake are moderate but will still get you going. Trails off of Brushy Mountain are challenging and will give you a great workout going up or a scream going down. With the newly installed signage itís pretty easy to get around. Scenery at the Cove is quite good and wildlife is plentiful. The Mill Mountain trail network right in Roanoke city makes great after work riding. This is a loosely connected network which contains probably 10 miles or so of singletrack. With the paved greenway going up Mill Mountain, the growing River Greenway, and inter-connecting singletrack I can usually entertain myself a couple of nights a week by mixing up the trail routes. Mill Mountain is about an 800 foot climb which can be done mostly through single track, although depending on the route you may have to do some street riding. Even though itís urban, many of these trails are at least intermediate through some steep sloped areas with some small rock gardens. If the Chestnut Ridge Loop ever gets approved for biking by the NPS, then thatís another 5.5 miles of very sweet singletrack that connects with the Mill Mountain trails. Closeby is Explore Park with 10 miles or so of trail. Lots of stuff close to town and Douthat State Park is an hour or so north with a great trail network. For the adventure / explorer type rider there are many miles of tough trails on the National Forest around Buchanan, New Castle, and Clifton Forge. Probably whatís missing most in Roanoke is the youth culture that is present in college towns (yea Iím old, and so is most of Roanoke), and mountain bikers. On the plus side, the downtown area has developed into a pretty good bar and restaurant district (nice for post-ride thirst quenching).

Charleston and Roanoke are only 3 hours apart. Heck visit them both via I-77 and I-64 and check out Slatyfork and Douthat along the way. Itís all good.

FYI
    http://www.mountainbikevirginia.com/...s_cove_map.pdf

http://explorepark.org/recreation/do...Bike_10.16.pdf

http://www.rvarc.org/greenways/

mtbr member

Niceness

Thanks all for all of the great info! This helps alot! Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0