Charleston/Huntington trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Charleston/Huntington trails?

Hey guys, new to the site but not new to MTN bikes. I have been out of the seen for a few years and just picked up a new bike to get back in the swing of things and to lose some weight.

I was just wondering if there are any new trails to ride int he Charleston/Huntington area. I used to ride KSF all the time, any new trails up there in the past few years? Its been at least 3 years since I was out there.

I hear there are trails in South Charleston too? Where is the trail head? Maps?

I read that Barborsville park has trails, anyone have maps or info on those? I work 20 min from there.

I rode Beech Fork yesterday it was kind of fun. We just rode both Lost trail loops. Is the Mary Davis trail any good? Any other bike trails down there.

Any info on the Kanawha Trace trail? Is it open to bikes? My nephew is a Boy Scout so I know they use it. Are there fees/maps? Any info would be great on that. Maybe a contact for more info?

Thanks for any information you guys can throw at me.

Jeremy

mtbr member

Little Creek Park

Quote Originally Posted by Rider_WV
    H
    I hear there are trails in South Charleston too? Where is the trail head? Maps?

Jeremy
    I think you're probably referring to Little Creek Park. I've ridden there a couple of times. It's fun. Unfortunately I don't know much about it. The times I've been there, I've driven there with locals and been shown around by locals. I think the park is a South Charleston city park, so it should be easy enough to find out how to get there.
    Fat, tired.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool man thanks for the info. I know where Little Creek Park is, I might check it out this coming weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm a newb so I don't have a whole lot to compare things too yet

https://www.bikebfat.com/bville.greenways.JPG
    https://www.bikebfat.com/dirt_derby.jpg
    Barborsville park
    Lots of trails and lots of elevation changes. The River Trail is my favorite. Its a highspeed mostly flat trail with lots of little ups and downs and sharp turns.

https://www.bikebfat.com/ktoverveiw_2.jpg
    Kanawha Trace
    I've only been on the very start of it really just to find out where it was.

https://www.bikebfat.com/
    They had maps of Beech Fork on there somewhere but I can't find it. I have one printed off laying around somewhere. If I can remember I'll scan it when I go to work tonight. The flat down near the lake is pretty rocky and rooty while up top its pretty smooth with a few log obstacles. Once you get up top it stays fairly flap with more gentle smaller hills. There are a few other trails coming off the Mary Davis. Some just hook back in while others go off into who knows where.

https://parks.ky.gov/findparks/resortparks/go/maps/
    Just did some of that this weekend and had a lot of fun. We were loosing daylight so we just did the section of the Micheal Tygart that runs along the lake/creek and most of the left side of the Clay Lick Loop. There is a trail not on the map that come off the Clay Lick Loop at the Bellwood shelter that brings you back down to the boat launch. Lots of stumps in the middle of the Clay Lick portion of the trail. Climbs aren't bad and once you do get up top on the Clay lick on the part we did has a lot of fairly gentle downhill sections. I didn't think I was going to die anywhere on the downhills till the we cut back down to the boat launch.

Haven't made it to KSF yet.
    Last edited by canker; 10-15-2007 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow man thanks for all the links to Maps!!!!!!

The Kanawha Trace trail looks really interesting. It is within about 8 miles of where I work and exits at Staves Branch which is my alternate route to work when the River is up. I definitely have to check that out!

There appears to be quite a bit of riding at B-ville park too!

Thanks Canker much appreciated man! You have to hit KSF, of all the places I have ridden in WV its my favorite. Its as hard or as easy as you want to make it.

Because I am !
    Rider_WV, first of all welcome to the boards. I really enjoyed KSF when I was
    down there this year. I'll be back down there again for sure. Sounds like the others
    have you lined up with some riding and I'm not that familiar with the area so I'll just
    let them fill in. If you ever get up around Parkersburg, stop by Mountwood Park.
    Nice singletrack. Not even as technical as KSF, just some fun singletrack.
    Welcome.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

mtbr member
    The KT is open to bikes and in great shape. An updated map was distributed recently during the trail anniversary hike. Be careful at mile 30 as the new Rt35 construction is progressing at a fast pace. The construction crews are very aware of the trail and often yield. Good news is that they have approved a tunnel to be built under the highway. (as previously noted...check out www.BikeBFAT.com)

Barboursville Park is a great place to ride. www.BikeBFAT.com is the place to catch up on current conditions and rides. Those guys have done a great job at building the trails and maintaining. If you run into the guys, they do a great job of showing you the trails. As far as Beech Fork, email the admin for BikeBFAT and he can probably hook you up with info or scanned maps.

As you know KSF is a good mix of trails, but will become more crowded with hunting season. This weekend was very busy. Overall, this is the best "collection" of trails for the area.

Putnam County Park in Eleanor has several quick loops (group rides on Wednesdays--most of the time). New trails are being developed constantly. Several quick climbs with minimal technical sections. If you climb to the top, there are several 4-wheeler trails that lead to a network of connectors. Have not seen any hunters in the area, but would be cautious on the 4-wheeler trails over the next months. The park trails are not a problem. You can easily get over an hour worth of riding on these trails. Definitely an up-and-coming network of trails. Not as much land as Barboursville, but will add some variety for the area.

Will probably see you on these trails at one time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the extra info Backwoods.

As for Eleanor trails. I know the guys who cut the trails there in the park. I cut my teeth riding all the ATV trails behind Eleanor and Midway. We had some killer trails back there in the mid-late 90's. I grew up in the area. If you dont mind riding double track there are some fun trails back there. There is a nice rocky technical trail we always called Staircase. It has a decent that has a stair step section with a series of 18-24" drops.
    There is another trail we called the Berms that had nice ess's with berms that you could haul has. My favorite was an old trail back towards Cobb's hollow. It was never ridden by ATV's and had a killer switchback on a giant rockface. The entire downhill ran beside the gas line and you had to cross the pipe several times. They jacked it up when they logged out there.

If you ever want to go riding back there outside the park let me know. There is probably close 2500 acres back there with endless trails.

magaw country
    Nov 2007
    keep it up and you just might get to ride for "Team Dimetappe"! Dude have you seen my throwing stars? I have been looking everywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Your throwing stars are in your Purple "team" jersey. Probably hiding under the chop sticks.

Members who have read this thread: 0