Charleston area trail conditions?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Charleston area trail conditions?

Hey there Charleston riders. I am closing on a house this wednesday in Charleston and will be spending several days out there cleaning and getting the house ready to move in to. Never rode any of the local trails so I am clueless as to their condition and even if they are possible to ride in the winter. The ones I have heard about are the Kanawha State forest and the Little creek park trail. Also, if there is any group rides (MTB or road) I would be interested in checking those out and meeting some locals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, Kanawha Forest is a great place to ride. Congrats on the house and all. If you'd like a guiided tour, you might try PMing lowcel. He might be willing to show ya around.

Dec 2004

Hi there!

I'll join in on a ride with you. I know the KSF trail system as well as the Little Creek Park trail. KSF riding conditions are usually good year round. There are some decent mud holes, and the double-track can be spongy at times. The single-track is usually in good shape after a rain. A couple of the trails do have some run off problems but not terrible. Little Creek Park on the other hand gets very mucky and is not a lot of fun when it has been raining. Better to ride it dry or almost dry.

By the way, you should also check out Mountwood Park in Parkersburg. About an hour and half North of Charleston. Good riding in Fayetteville (New RIver Gorge). Of course if riding in Fayetteville you need to ride with a local who know's the "special" trails.
    nrsts.bravehost.com

My personal site:
    futurepath.bravehost.com

Jan 2004

Sorry for the delay

Future Path, Sorry for the delay but was out inCharleston the last 7days cleaning the new place up. Thanks for the trail info and conditions. I got a chance to ride KSF twice andloved it. Even after a rain daythe trails were in great condition and the roads were spongy just like you said. I'll be away from the computer for the next few days while I move but will try and set up a ride once I am out there.

Alright, let's ride!
    I know it's a little late but just in case anyone else is interested the trails are in perfect condition. I went out and rode a little last night. I couldn't believe how dry everything was. I just hope it stays that way for a while.

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    I know it's a little late but just in case anyone else is interested the trails are in perfect condition. I went out and rode a little last night. I couldn't believe how dry everything was. I just hope it stays that way for a while.

Thanks LowCel and others. I am planning on riding there on the first nice Saturday or Sunday I'm free. I live in Parkersburg so I'll make a day of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0