Carvin's Cove trail conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Carvin's Cove trail conditions

What are the chances that the trails at Carvin's cove will be decent this Saturday & Sunday?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    They should be in good shape leading into the weekend. Saturday morning looks like the best bet, as the Weather Channel currently has a 60% chance of rain in the afternoon. Sunday's conditions look chilly and might not be great in the lower trails if there is a lot of rain on Saturday. The upper trails shed water well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That was for last weekend.
    They were in really good shape. There were the occasional wet spots on the "lower trails", but everything heading up the hill was great. I did a loop I found on MTB project the 1st day. Hi-dee-hoe to 4 gorges to brushy to Hemlock tunnel to Kerncliff to Comet solo the 1st day & that was superb.
    I went back the next day with my wife and we did a bunch of the lower stuff. Songbird, Enchanted forest, little bell and school house. She was challenged on songbird, but we both had a really good time. We both just couldn't get over the scenery.
    See the animal encounters thread for a pic of the GIANT buck I saw the 1st day.
    Last edited by notso; 11-14-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling correction

CTB
    mtbr member
    I'm thinking of a bike trip down there over the week of Dec 18. Forecast looks pretty good (I live in Michigan, so...). Am I being too hopeful in thinking that the Carvins trails will be ok to ride during that week? Thanks! Trying to get out of this northern hell...

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    I'm thinking of a bike trip down there over the week of Dec 18. Forecast looks pretty good (I live in Michigan, so...). Am I being too hopeful in thinking that the Carvins trails will be ok to ride during that week? Thanks! Trying to get out of this northern hell...
    I can't speak to Carvins, but I know that Blacksburg (~30mi southwest on 81) just got 4-6" of snow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Dang, that doesn't bode well. Thanks for the local update!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Trails were in pretty good shape yesterday (12/11/17) and there was only a little snow left on the ground with none on the trails. With the dry weather this fall there wasn't much mud especially on the higher trails. The forecast is for a high of 50 this Saturday, 12/16. I would say you are in good shape.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I'm looking at 2+ inches of snow out my window now and it's coming down in giant flakes...high of 50 would be sweet right now.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Just thought I'd chime in here. I had a great day yesterday at Carvins. Perfect weather (unlike where I live), well-marked trail, and friendly people in the lot and on the trail. Now if only I were a good climber...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Rather than start a new thread... How's it looking out there this week? I'll be down that way for the weekend, but up in MD trails are pretty wet so I want to see if it's even worth bringing the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I haven't been down there since I started this thread, but I know the forecast is for 100% chance of rain tonight through tomorrow night. It's also warmed up enough to thaw out any frozen moisture.
    It should get cold enough to freeze again Saturday night.
    If you like riding gravel, there is a BIG gravel ride in the area on Sunday six route options from 26-94 miles with plenty of climbing.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    I haven't been down there since I started this thread, but I know the forecast is for 100% chance of rain tonight through tomorrow night. It's also warmed up enough to thaw out any frozen moisture.
    It should get cold enough to freeze again Saturday night.
    If you like riding gravel, there is a BIG gravel ride in the area on Sunday six route options from 26-94 miles with plenty of climbing.
    Ya that's the situation here in MD as well and the trails are not handling it very well.... Was hoping to hear different from down there but it sounds like I may be leaving the bike at home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The upper trails probably have enough gradient to shed most of the water that falls on them, but that doesn't help with the freeze/thaw. Once again, if you like gravel riding, Gravelocity is happening Sunday & should be a really good time. It includes some great fire roads.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    The upper trails probably have enough gradient to shed most of the water that falls on them, but that doesn't help with the freeze/thaw. Once again, if you like gravel riding, Gravelocity is happening Sunday & should be a really good time. It includes some great fire roads.
    I went out at dawn on Saturday, everything was frozen solid so it wasn't an issue. Looked like things were holding up well even if it hadn't been frozen, particularly on the upper trails as you said.

mtbr member
    How's everything looking down there at the Cove? I'm coming down Monday and Tuesday for work and was thinking about bringing my bike. Everything up here in NovA is a slop fest and trails are pretty much shut down due to the consistent freeze/thaw. Forecast looks a bit warm on Monday, which could hurt my chances if it's a big thaw. Any local insight?