Carvins Cove riders: Please stop with the rocks and sticks in the water crossings!- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Carvins Cove riders: Please stop with the rocks and sticks in the water crossings!

Just a friendly reminder than when you throw sticks and/or rocks into a small muddy water crossing, this will often result in the muddy part getting wider, and ultimately worse. The reason is that the water still needs to go somewhere, so it will just go around the sticks and rocks, making new (and usually worse) mud on either side.

In particular, if anyone knows who keeps re-building the rock crossing at the bottom of Bucks Rutt (the first water crossing after the long DH), please ask them to stop. Not only is this completely un-needed (as the crossing was never particularly muddy), it only serves to dam up the water behind it, and creates more mud. When I came upon the rock crossing yesterday, the water had cut a channel around one side, widening the stream. So now you rode through a very muddy hole, then onto the rocks. If you wanted to go around, the water was now much deeper and wider than before, due to the rocks forming a dam. Plus it was now pretty muddy, since water was standing higher up the banks than normal.

I saw someone else removed it a month or so ago, it got re-built, and I removed it yesterday. The mud situation there is now actually worse than it ever has been. Just leave the rock that makes the root ledge easier to climb (which is not in the water), and leave the rest be. It has been relatively mud free for the 12 years I have been riding it, up until now, due to the dam that got built. I know they mean well, and I thank them for the work on the second switchback.

I have noticed that the habit of throwing sticks in muddy crossings on the lower trails has largely stopped, so thank you to whoever stopped doing that.

Armoring a crossing with rock is different, because the rocks are level with the bottom, and the idea is for the water to go OVER the rocks without damming up behind the crossing.

Thanks
    Last edited by kapusta; 02-21-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    Yep-everyone is an expert with trail work-LOL I wish folks would get the IMBA book and read it. The worst sticks are the ones that break an get in the wheel and or derail. I have seen some of the biggest mess made by this fix...
    Even when not muddy...we have a rock garden that someone removes rocks-leaving bad flow and square pinch flat monsters...i put a few back..they are gone again.It is cool...i sell tubes and rims...but i would rather have flow!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    I honestly don't understand all that goes into trail work, armoring crossings etc; but what I really don't get is how in the world some of the "improvements" on some of the trails were ever thought to be good ideas. Several on 4 Gorges are worse now than they've ever been and there are one or two on "Lower" Comet that are just waiting to eat your tire. I'd be glad to learn and will plan to attend trail building work as soon as my schedule will allow it, but meanwhile I will just keep making do with what we've go.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen
    I"Lower" Comet that are just waiting to eat your tire. .

I did a faceplant because of those holes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    rockwork in creek crossings can be tricky (nasty work). Easiest done when the water is low. The rocks need to be buried in the bottom of the creek bed and secured really really good! They also need to contour the shape of the bottom of the creek bed so that water can continually flow as it normally would. We did some of this on lower comet a few years back and it was definitely a challenge.

I don't ride bucks rutt that often but I have seen the rocks there and also pushed to the side.. haven't been down it since this years freeze/thaw..

My spelling is atroshus
    Yesterday I stopped on Schoolhouse by the creek crossing and fished out some pretty good sized logs that were blocking the trail. They had washed down stream in the heavy rains. I took off my shoes and socks to wade out and let me tell you this. That is the coldest water I have ever felt on my feet in my entire life.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RBowles
    Yesterday I stopped on Schoolhouse by the creek crossing and fished out some pretty good sized logs that were blocking the trail. They had washed down stream in the heavy rains. I took off my shoes and socks to wade out and let me tell you this. That is the coldest water I have ever felt on my feet in my entire life.
    We all owe you a beer
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I think beer is why he needs to ride more... Especially since he won't ride with me anymore...

Members who have read this thread: 0