Carvin's Cove Ride on 1-30-11- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Carvin's Cove Ride on 1-30-11

Setting up another ride at Carvin's Cove on Sunday, Jan 30th, at 2pm. All are welcome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What type of shape do you think Brushy Mtn trl/rd will be in? Gauntlet?

I'll be riding earlier and probably finishing up at that time.

I'd like to meet you guys in the parking lot and intro myself......

no, I'm not riding SS
    I'm in. What are you riding/driving?

Looking forward to meeting some other MTBR posters!

thanks,
    Scott

no, I'm not riding SS
    Quote Originally Posted by gsomtb
    What type of shape do you think Brushy Mtn trl/rd will be in? Gauntlet?

I'll be riding earlier and probably finishing up at that time.

I'd like to meet you guys in the parking lot and intro myself......
    going to be muddy. probably best to stay high and let the trails dry out as much as possible. Fireroads should be fine, comet/songbird/4 gorges should be barricaded off!

mtbr member
    I rode last Sunday and Brushy Mtn was fine from Four Gorges down. Should be ok up as it gets sun.

Oddly enough, lower comet was fine up to Tuckaway. We rode up Tuckaway, then back down and didn't go any further along lower Comet. Past Tuckaway it's usually soupy anyways, so it'll likely be bad now.

Shorner, I'll be driving a bright yellow Nissan truck with a bright orange Niner RIP 9. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

My spelling is atroshus
    It pains me, but I can't make it this weekend. I'm helping a friend on a construction project that has no end in sight.

no, I'm not riding SS
    Apologies for not meeting up--I attempted to ride in from the ridgeline (Brushy Mountain fire road) and it was unbelievably muddy (up top). so, I figured that the bottom would be a veritable mess. How was it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If anytime the trails should be closed at the cove it should have been this weekend. Four gorge has never been worse than when I saw it Saturday and the fireroad climb was atrocious due to the dampness of the thawing soil..

mtbr member
    I'm with Matt. We have to police ourselves. I went road riding and enjoyed every mile of the 75 I got in this weekend. I wish there was some way to "close" the trails, but that's just not feasible. This week is going to be torture for them again. 35 today, rain for a day or two, 50's midweek... YEESH!
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Yeah, Four Gorges was unrideable. I did about 100 yards of it from the parking lot and turned around. Songbird was a little soft, but not too bad. Enchanted Forest and Little Bell were decent. We managed to keep from doing any trail damage, but I won't be going out again unless conditions are better.

The problem isn't the trails being wet, it's the daily thaw/freeze cycle makes the trails so soft that bikes just chew them up. If it was just water, there wouldn't be much a problem. Thawing and freezing every day is a different matter though.

As stated, it's up to us to police ourselves. I was planning weekly rides there, but won't be doing that for a while until conditions improve.

no, I'm not riding SS
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen
    I'm with Matt. We have to police ourselves. I went road riding and enjoyed every mile of the 75 I got in this weekend. I wish there was some way to "close" the trails, but that's just not feasible. This week is going to be torture for them again. 35 today, rain for a day or two, 50's midweek... YEESH!
    not to mention the 2" of rain expected........should be dry by August, or so.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm sure you guys are aware but I'll mention it anyway:
    there is a 'Pandapas Conditons' page on facebook. I think it would be awesome for the Cove. Its not closure but a really easy way to get the word out.

Here in Greensboro we close the trails w/ a chain and post it on our local chat board. The chain is really just symbolic b/c its easily ridden around and there is no plenty for doing so. My point is this: get the word out and the VAST MAJORITY of folks will be on board......but they gotta know.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I did the road riding thing this weekend (Sun) as well. It was awesome. The BRP was closed from 221 South and the spur that leads to Mill Mt off the BRP closed was as well. All due to two 100' long slushy patches. What a wonderful place to ride with no cars!

I think we need a CC conditions thread for the winter. I saw that someone made a Facebook page for Pandapas conditions.

My hope is that once people screw up a couple of times, they will figure out when not to ride. That's how I leaned. But getting a heads up from those who have been there recently as well as predictions from those with some experience out there would be helpful.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Yep I rode the parkway a bit on Saturday - it is weird w/o cars! Rode Bradshaw on Sunday!

I'll see if I can start up the facebook page for the Cove Trails.

mtbr member
    Ok try this one... Carvins Cove Trail Reports

Help me out. Let's see if this will take off. I think I set it up right!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Ok try this one... Carvins Cove Trail Reports

Help me out. Let's see if this will take off. I think I set it up right!
    Thanks, Jen, this will help, I believe.

Maybe I am just FB illiterate, but I can't figure out how to post on the page.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In the header "Carvins Cove trail report + others". Then you can post.

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by JHogan
    In the header "Carvins Cove trail report + others". Then you can post.
    We gotta' ride together one of these sundays. I'll bring E. and we can beat her up on the climbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0