Capon Springs in August?- Mtbr.com
    i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Capon Springs in August?

Hey there,

I've got a family reunion-type thing at Capon Springs for a week or so in August. Don't know the area at all, but looks like it's not that far from Bryce and Davis. Anyone have any day-trip-friendly, AM-ish trail suggestions? I'm a pretty competent rider, used to climbing for my vert here in Seattle, and up in BC/Whistler a fair amount.

I'm also looking at the economics of shipping my Knolly Warden out to the east coast, or renting something there. I'll be in the DC burbs for a few days on both ends of the Capon Springs stay, and realistically, I probably won't get more than 3 or 4 rides during the trip. Are there good options for daily rentals in WV or should I bring my own?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    From Capon Springs drive to Wardensville, hop on Corridor H and you're in Davis in about an about 1:20. There's a shop in Davis, Blackwater Bikes. They do rentals but I don't know what they have or prices.

About the same distance away there's a lot of riding in VA. Front Royal area has a bunch of stuff. A little further down the road you have Harrisonburg, VA. You could go east towards Martinsburg, WV. Hagerstown/Frederick, MD area as well.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    From Capon Springs drive to Wardensville, hop on Corridor H and you're in Davis in about an about 1:20. There's a shop in Davis, Blackwater Bikes. They do rentals but I don't know what they have or prices.

About the same distance away there's a lot of riding in VA. Front Royal area has a bunch of stuff. A little further down the road you have Harrisonburg, VA. You could go east towards Martinsburg, WV. Hagerstown/Frederick, MD area as well.
    Thanks, Nubster -- appreciate the info!

mtbr member

Wolf Gap

Nat Geo Map #792 has the Massanutten/Great North Mtn area. Good riding, Wolf Gap is closest to Capon Springs. Also good maps on the PATC website (Potomac Appalacian Trail Club).
    This thread has good info:

Wolf Gap Route? – MORE

Wolf Gap is about 30 mins from "downtown" Capon Springs. I started at Wolf Gap Rec Area, went north on Mill Mtn trail (VA/WV border) to Right on Little Stoney. South on Little Stoney back to the road climb back up to Wolf Gap. 2-3 hours? Watch out for Rattlesnakes! Def get a map.