Capon Springs in August?

Printable View

• 05-04-2017
    GeePhroh
    Capon Springs in August?
    Hey there,

I've got a family reunion-type thing at Capon Springs for a week or so in August. Don't know the area at all, but looks like it's not that far from Bryce and Davis. Anyone have any day-trip-friendly, AM-ish trail suggestions? I'm a pretty competent rider, used to climbing for my vert here in Seattle, and up in BC/Whistler a fair amount.

I'm also looking at the economics of shipping my Knolly Warden out to the east coast, or renting something there. I'll be in the DC burbs for a few days on both ends of the Capon Springs stay, and realistically, I probably won't get more than 3 or 4 rides during the trip. Are there good options for daily rentals in WV or should I bring my own?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • 05-10-2017
    Nubster
    From Capon Springs drive to Wardensville, hop on Corridor H and you're in Davis in about an about 1:20. There's a shop in Davis, Blackwater Bikes. They do rentals but I don't know what they have or prices.

About the same distance away there's a lot of riding in VA. Front Royal area has a bunch of stuff. A little further down the road you have Harrisonburg, VA. You could go east towards Martinsburg, WV. Hagerstown/Frederick, MD area as well.
  • 05-12-2017
    GeePhroh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    From Capon Springs drive to Wardensville, hop on Corridor H and you're in Davis in about an about 1:20. There's a shop in Davis, Blackwater Bikes. They do rentals but I don't know what they have or prices.

About the same distance away there's a lot of riding in VA. Front Royal area has a bunch of stuff. A little further down the road you have Harrisonburg, VA. You could go east towards Martinsburg, WV. Hagerstown/Frederick, MD area as well.

Thanks, Nubster -- appreciate the info!
  • 05-13-2017
    RetroG
    Wolf Gap
    Nat Geo Map #792 has the Massanutten/Great North Mtn area. Good riding, Wolf Gap is closest to Capon Springs. Also good maps on the PATC website (Potomac Appalacian Trail Club).
    This thread has good info:

Wolf Gap Route? – MORE

Wolf Gap is about 30 mins from "downtown" Capon Springs. I started at Wolf Gap Rec Area, went north on Mill Mtn trail (VA/WV border) to Right on Little Stoney. South on Little Stoney back to the road climb back up to Wolf Gap. 2-3 hours? Watch out for Rattlesnakes! Def get a map.